CO & UT trip planning

ectobar

So my favorite band, Umphrey's McGee, just announced the beginning of their tour schedule for next year. Its taking them to SLC -> Aspen -> Denver so I'm planning a boarding trip around the tour.

I'll end up with 5 days in SLC and 3-4 days in CO. Schedule looks like this: 1/15 PHL -> SLC. 1/20 SLC -> DEN. 1/24 DEN -> PHL

My main question is concerning getting in between SLC and Aspen. Anyone do the drive before? Googs says 8 hrs. My other option is to fly to DEN and then still have to drive 4 hrs. I guess we'll save some coin by driving, but should I be worried about rd conditions? In either case after riding/driving, I'll end up in Aspen around 12-1am. Anyone have any thoughts on flying vs driving?

Next question, the first CO show is in Aspen. So the plan was to hit either Aspen or Snowmass for two days. I hear awesome things about both, anyone want to add their 2 pennies on these resorts? My mt preferences would be trees then parks.

Super stoked, if anyone wants to catch a show or some riding hit me up. It will likely just be me 1 other guy cause I'm not too sure I can talk anyone else into this trip.

Sick man, I fucking love Umphrey's... saw them at Red Rocks last summer. It was epic. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try to hit the Denver show. I know Glenn digs Umphrey's as well. So maybe we could all meet up for a drink or something before the show.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I've never been to Aspen or Snowmas, and I'm not just about to spout second hand info at you. Good luck with the planning.

Sick man, I fucking love Umphrey's... saw them at Red Rocks last summer. It was epic. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try to hit the Denver show. I know Glenn digs Umphrey's as well. So maybe we could all meet up for a drink or something before the show.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I've never been to Aspen or Snowmas, and I'm not just about to spout second hand info at you. Good luck with the planning.

UM is indeed good stuff, just saw them in DC sat night. Super fun time. My roomate has some battle wounds from jamming out too hard. He was getting his groove on and slipped on a nice pile of booze on the floor, he wrecked hard. It was hilarious.

Might be in your neck of the woods for some riding though Nick. Were going to do either Aspen/Snowmass 1/21-22. But then either Loveland or WinterPark on 1/23-24. I made it out to Loveland last year, and it was fun, but haven't ever been to WP so we might give it some love.

But regardless it would be cool to grab a drink and actually meet some pasrs.

As far as the SLC - CO thing, you have a few options. The drive from SLC - Aspen isn't that bad, I've done Park City - Denver and Vegas - Denver a few times. Besides driving, you can get a charter flight to Grand Junction (the CO/UT border town), which would be about 2.5 hours from aspen. You can also actually fly into aspen (they do have an airport there for charter flights), or eagle county (about 1.5 hours from aspen). Grand Junction would probably be the cheapest, I'd imagine a peak season charter flight from SLC to Aspen would be on the costly side. Another option would be fly into denver and ride the CME van to aspen...I believe it's around $80 I think...I'd be cheaper than renting a car from denver and driving, but then you'd have to do that anyway to get back for the denver show.

Also keep in mind if you're driving from Aspen to Denver, you've got Beaver Creek and Vail on the way down, and Powderhorn not to far especially if you fly into junction. I'd definitely try and make it to the beav, on a pow day they've got some awesome trees. Plus it's owned by vail so if you get a multiple day ticket there, you can use it at vail, keystone, breck, or abasin.

That post might be super confusing, but if you need any help, I've been all over the state a few times already so I can definitely help you out with planning.

Edited by Justin

As far as the SLC - CO thing, you have a few options. The drive from SLC - Aspen isn't that bad, I've done Park City - Denver and Vegas - Denver a few times. Besides driving, you can get a charter flight to Grand Junction (the CO/UT border town), which would be about 2.5 hours from aspen. You can also actually fly into aspen (they do have an airport there for charter flights), or eagle county (about 1.5 hours from aspen). Grand Junction would probably be the cheapest, I'd imagine a peak season charter flight from SLC to Aspen would be on the costly side. Another option would be fly into denver and ride the CME van to aspen...I believe it's around $80 I think...I'd be cheaper than renting a car from denver and driving, but then you'd have to do that anyway to get back for the denver show.

Also keep in mind if you're driving from Aspen to Denver, you've got Beaver Creek and Vail on the way down, and Powderhorn not to far especially if you fly into junction. I'd definitely try and make it to the beav, on a pow day they've got some awesome trees. Plus it's owned by vail so if you get a multiple day ticket there, you can use it at vail, keystone, breck, or abasin.

That post might be super confusing, but if you need any help, I've been all over the state a few times already so I can definitely help you out with planning.

Thanks for the info, didn't realize there was an airport in Aspen. Looks like I can get a flight on frontier that isn't too outrageous. Guess I'll have to run some numbers and see what looks best.

I got to the beav last year, but only for 2 runs. We were chasing the pow and heard the beav got slammed, but when we got there it was only 2" or so. We ended up heading back to vail for 1ft+. Spent the day in the back bowls, truly epic.

For sure man. Hit me up if you ever want to ski...me and librider are out here, we'll be hovering around summit county all winter, especially with my schedule for next term. I've got Wednesdays and Fridays off...plus the weekend, so I'll be skiing a shit ton.

For sure man. Hit me up if you ever want to ski...me and librider are out here, we'll be hovering around summit county all winter, especially with my schedule for next term. I've got Wednesdays and Fridays off...plus the weekend, so I'll be skiing a shit ton.

Trying to book some flights by the end of the week, I'll post up my schedule once its finalized and anyone could meet up that would be sweet. Would cool to have some local knowledge on hand.

Just to clear up some confusion...Aspen Airport (KASE) does have commercial flights on Frontier and United.

I can't speak to the utah portion of the drive, but CO from Grand Junction to Glenwood is pretty boring. Once you hit Glenwood you head south and it's slightly more interesting. I'd be bored, and would try to avoid the drive, but thats me. I've made some negative remarks about snowmass before, but after reviewing photographic evidence, I really want to get there.

The drive from Denver to Aspen is pretty scenic the whole way, and it's all major highways, so short of a large snowstorm you shouldn't need to worry. If there is a large snowstorm, you don't make it to your destination, but you do get to whatever resort you can and get in on some deep snow. It's win-win.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the utah portion of the drive, but CO from Grand Junction to Glenwood is pretty boring. Once you hit Glenwood you head south and it's slightly more interesting. I'd be bored, and would try to avoid the drive, but thats me. I've made some negative remarks about snowmass before, but after reviewing photographic evidence, I really want to get there.

The drive from Denver to Aspen is pretty scenic the whole way, and it's all major highways, so short of a large snowstorm you shouldn't need to worry. If there is a large snowstorm, you don't make it to your destination, but you do get to whatever resort you can and get in on some deep snow. It's win-win.

The drive from Denver seems to be the best answer. I looked into flying into grand junction and aspen, and the flights were definitely available, problem is car rental gets seriously jacked up. I got a price of around $300 to take the from and return to Denver. Trying to rent a car in Aspen and leave it in Denver was giving me prices around $600+, thats just wacked.

Serious stormage on the highway could be an issue, I'm a batting a 100% on major pow during my westwardly travels. Don't want to ruin the average, so be ready for snow!

Yeah man I-70 can get pretty fucked during a snowstorm. I got stuck once inbetween georgetown and the pass coming back down to denver at like 5 on a sunday...it was a late ass storm and CDOT couldn't keep up. Wound up being stuck for 3 hours in the same spot. Hell coming back from vegas the first week of october it took us forever to get from silvy to denver, the roads were solid ice and it was puking. The weather is always so random, one day it could be sunny as hell and actually hot out, the next day it could be puking.

• 4 weeks later...

Flights booked. I'm going to end up with 6 days in UT, and 3 in CO.

Now I just gotta find some lodging for UT.

I tried planning a trip like this a year or so ago, and got some good recommendations on where to go/stay. I can't find the thread though. Is there a way to access older threads? Or are they gone?