Trip Booked, Well Sort Of.

train36

Me and a few friends definitely want to head somewhere this year but were unsure where to go. We decided instead of booking a trip and getting stuck somewhere it may not be snowing to just wait and book last minute where it is. We decided on Feb 18th - 24th and we all took off. We are going to wait and see what the weather is doing and head where we think it might snow. Why be stuck in Colorado or Utah with no snow when it is dumping in the Northwest or California? This plan isn't full proof as weather changes all the time and booking last minute could cost more or less, you never know. We just think it gives us the best opportunity to get some snow on our trip. What do you think? Good or bad idea?

Me and a few friends definitely want to head somewhere this year but were unsure where to go. We decided instead of booking a trip and getting stuck somewhere it may not be snowing to just wait and book last minute where it is. We decided on Feb 18th - 24th and we all took off. We are going to wait and see what the weather is doing and head where we think it might snow. Why be stuck in Colorado or Utah with no snow when it is dumping in the Northwest or California? This plan isn't full proof as weather changes all the time and booking last minute could cost more or less, you never know. We just think it gives us the best opportunity to get some snow on our trip. What do you think? Good or bad idea?

I think its a fun idea. I've toyed around with doing it almost every year. I usually get scared by last minute airline prices though. Sometimes you can find a deal, but you usually have to take some unfortunate flights. You should pry do a little leg work ahead of time still though. Like pick a couple mts you might want to visit, and get a couple potential itinerarys together so that your not completely scrambling last minute. Hope it works out for you.

honestly, i dont think its the best idea. chances are, one day out of the week that you will be there its gonna snow somewhere. and when it does, thats when you chase the mountain. until that day(s) comes, just hunt out the untracked and windblown trees and enjoy the west for what it is. save money on the trip so you can do it again next year instead of breaking the bank trying to hunt down the powder.

honestly, i dont think its the best idea. chances are, one day out of the week that you will be there its gonna snow somewhere. and when it does, thats when you chase the mountain. until that day(s) comes, just hunt out the untracked and windblown trees and enjoy the west for what it is. save money on the trip so you can do it again next year instead of breaking the bank trying to hunt down the powder.

That's how I handled my Tahoe trip last year. We woke up early every morning, checked the stats and headed out to the mt with the most snow. Worked out really well. Ended up driving a good deal, but it was definitely worth it.

That's how I handled my Tahoe trip last year. We woke up early every morning, checked the stats and headed out to the mt with the most snow. Worked out really well. Ended up driving a good deal, but it was definitely worth it.

that's the beauty of tahoe and utah. if you're in salt lake, you've got almost 10 ski areas within an hour in any direction. even if you're staying up in PC, it's not much more than an hour and a half to the stuff north of ogden if they end up getting a storm that misses PC or BBC/LCC.

Depends if you have plenty of vacation time, or plenty of money. The price you will pay for flights within a week of your travel date will be at least twice what you will pay if you just choose somewhere now and hope for the best. If money is no object then it sounds like a great plan, you should get enough visibility a week in advance to know which areas (ie CO, UT, PNW etc) are getting the storm cycles and from there you just need to choose a central location (like PC or SLC) and head for the best resort each day.

That said, at the time you are talking about, the chances of getting poor conditions in most of the major venues is pretty slim, and on top of that with your plan you risk the likleyhood of flying into delays and cancellations and missing the storm you are chasing anyway.

My $0.02, choose somewhere now and if it's not all you hoped for, use the money you saved for another trip towards the end of the season. I've been to UT for the last 4 years in the spring and have had great conditions for at least part of every trip.