Where should i ride outside of pa?

bmatyeah

I'm located near bear creek. I enjoy park and all but that's all i really have experienced. I just want to ride. My buddy and i are looking to take a road trip about 4 hours from our area the second week of jan. Mostly just a day trip. Wake up at on the road by 5am. get there by 9. Id like to ride something that is affordable, yet has long trails. Its a day trip id travel further north if i wanted my trip to be longer.

any ideas

greek peak? anything else? mostly ny mtns?

I'm located near bear creek. I enjoy park and all but that's all i really have experienced. I just want to ride. My buddy and i are looking to take a road trip about 4 hours from our area the second week of jan. Mostly just a day trip. Wake up at on the road by 5am. get there by 9. Id like to ride something that is affordable, yet has long trails. Its a day trip id travel further north if i wanted my trip to be longer.

any ideas

Killington, Stratton, Mount Snow are about 5 hours and what your looking for. I recommend killington since it's huge and you've never been there. Also you can get a cheap room for like $40 in rutland to ease the travel time.

If you're planning on just doing a day trip VT is pretty far. Killington is more like 6 hours. Mount Snow, Stratton, or Bromley are closer to 5 but if you're going that far you want to stay overnight.

Greek Peak is overpriced for what they have. OLD SLOW lifts, nominal snowmaking and grooming. It is spread out though and has good terrain. If they get some lake effect it's a good place to go.

NY has some better options in the Catskills for a day trip in NY and closer than VT. Bellayre, Hunter, Windham, and Plattekill. Plattekill is my favorite if there is some natural snow. Old school type of place and not crowded even on the weekends. Only open Fri. - Sun. non holidays.

If you haven't been to Elk, they have long runs for PA, great grooming, and are only about 2hrs from BC for a day trip. Elk is the best option for a day trip. Unless Greek got hit with some lake effect it isn't worth the hour farther drive and higher lift price. JMHO

Have you ever thought about Seven springs? I know its in PA, but its still pretty far away so you may have never been there. The mountain is alot different than the stuff around here and kindof has an open face on one of the sides. They get more snow there than we do here and when I was last there I was hit with a foot of fresh snow and it was the best riding I`ve ever done around here. If you plan to go after they get snow I think you`d have a really good time.

Hunter Mtn in NY is pretty nice and about in your driving range

Hunter isn't a bad idea

Have you ever thought about Seven springs? I know its in PA, but its still pretty far away so you may have never been there. The mountain is alot different than the stuff around here and kindof has an open face on one of the sides. They get more snow there than we do here and when I was last there I was hit with a foot of fresh snow and it was the best riding I`ve ever done around here. If you plan to go after they get snow I think you`d have a really good time.

Seven Springs ? Are you high ?

Why would someone drive 4 hours from a small shitty hill to slightly larger shitty hill. That hill is the same shitty crap we have around here just with people from Pittsburgh instead of Philly. If your going to go that way at least ride at the Knob where you stand a chance of riding something decent if it snows.

If your coming from closer to Philly and can do the 95/91 route you could be at Bromley in around 4 hours and that place isn't half bad.

Plattekill is your best bet though, chill laid back vibe and a better chance at good snow. From Bear Creek to Platekill is 4 hours exactly.

Then again you could drive two hours and go to Elk because it just like VT only closer.....lulz

Hunter isn't a bad idea

Seven Springs ? Are you high ?

Why would someone drive 4 hours from a small shitty hill to slightly larger shitty hill. That hill is the same shitty crap we have around here just with people from Pittsburgh instead of Philly. If your going to go that way at least ride at the Knob where you stand a chance of riding something decent if it snows.

If your coming from closer to Philly and can do the 95/91 route you could be at Bromley in around 4 hours and that place isn't half bad.

Plattekill is your best bet though, chill laid back vibe and a better chance at good snow. From Bear Creek to Platekill is 4 hours exactly.

Then again you could drive two hours and go to Elk because it just like VT only closer.....lulz

Woah chill dude. If you go after snow it's legit. But your right, :confused its totally a shit hole. Maybe that's why it's ranked so high in transworlds east coast top 5s

Woah chill dude. If you go after snow it's legit. But your right, :confused its totally a shit hole. Maybe that's why it's ranked so high in transworlds east coast top 5s

I've been there on powder days and its too flat. The parks are decent but they are all too short. The pipes are amazing i'll give them that. TW's top 5s are horseshit by the way. It's only ranked so high because its the best central/western pa has to offer resort/hotel wise, definetly not if your comparing terrain.

• Like 1

any ideas

I'd say depends on if you are taking a weekday or weekend. If you have a weekday, hit Hunter. I'd avoid it on a weekend but its great during the week without crowds.

Thats probably 3-4 hours from your house and I'd put that at the limit of what'd I want to do in a day round trip. Theres no way your making to VT and back in 4 hours each way.

My next option would be Mount Snow at only another 1-2 hours, but I'd do that if you had 2 days. Stay somewhere like the Horizon Inn, I think if you do the 1 night ski and stay its like $30 on top of a regular ticket for a decent room and pool/hot tub. You tolls and gas are going to be more than that so just get the most out of your drive. Great park, good trails, plenty to hit.

Killington is definitely better but if you've never been anywhere but BC, Snow will blow your mind and then later in your life Killington will do it again.

I'd skip Stratton, more $ for no gain over Snow if you are trying to keep it cheep.

Maybe that's why it's ranked so high in transworlds east coast top 5s

And Dear Valley is the best place to ski in North America because Ski magazine said so......lulz

Johnny Law is too legit for PA..there's a guy named Jer who used to post on here from Seven Springs...it was str8 killin it in the halfpipe...but dawg said outside of PA...the last time I checked Seven Springs was located within PA.. :nana

I ski in PA alot but only because its 30mins away....I wonder if that is the same Jer....

• Like 1

You can be in Stowe,VT in the same time it takes to get to Seven Springs. If you're in the area it's OK but Blue Knob is much better and is closer. If you're not in the area, you head north not west.

thanks for all the great suggustions, this is one of the forums where you get more legitimate replys the bs ones.

It would be a week day trip.

Your good pretty much anywhere then. I still say go to Hunter if you want a single day trip and Mount Snow if you want 2 days.

Skiernet.com is a decent resource for getting an idea of whats available out there too.

• 2 weeks later...