JF 1-2-2010

JFskiDan

got on the snow about 8:30 or so...made my way over to east mountain where i found PC and Serch. made some nice runs alternating between rivershot/elevator, floyds and the trees on challenge. trails were awesome, lots of nice poweder. the elevator is still in ski-able condition, but its definetly showing signs of a well used trail. deep in the challenge glade the snows getting pushed off pretty good, closer to the trail is nice but not quite as technical.

we ran the trail under east mountain lift to retrieve my ski pole that i dropped off the lift for no good reason what so ever. the top 2/3 of the run were pretty nice, the last bit will be nice when we get another shot of snow. we went back for round 2 of this run since PC thought the cut-off on skiers right would be cool to try. PC lead the way, where he quickly found lots of rocks covered by a dusting of snow. we were advised of the rocks but Serch was determined to give it hell, but eventually the rocks had a negative effect on his forward motion. i hiked it out after some good advice from PC.

we spent the last of our runs together on the lesser skied tree runs on the east side. i left PC and Serch to ski with another friend who got to the mountain about 12:30....just in time for longer lift lines, blowing snow and uphill winds. skied 4 more runs, and rolled out.

another wonderful day at Jack Frost.

• Like 1

Serch and I got there for opening and headed straight for east mountain... made a run down challenge then up the chair and was trying to get first dibs on the elevator which had some nice fresh cover on it. 1 person beat us to it by skiing through the trees at the top. Elevator glade was tough...too tough for me today I attempted it early in the day but there was no real choice of direction. You had to basically manuever your way in between the huge moguls that have developed in there, and the snow that was in there was all scraped off so it is basically a hardpacked bobsled trail at the top of it. On my 2nd turn my right ski popped off on a rock and went down the glade. I attempted two more turns on 1 ski and just slid the rest to where my ski landed. The Elevator was the best I have ever seen it first thing this morning. That deteriorated quite quickly, all the fresh snow was pretty much gone off of it by 9:30, but it's still skiable for sure. Even the little cliff there isn't an issue as there was a lot of snow around it and below it. Most people I saw were taking it skiers right, I made runs from the top over the cliff area, and skiers left of the cliff area entering from the steepest part, as well as from the skiers right which definitely had the most snow cover on it. FWIW skiers left from the top had the least. My boots were causing me all kinds of problems today, they're new still and with only 5 days on them there is still a lot of adjusting to do.

Challenge glade was definitely challenging today as we hit it a little later and all the fresh was scrubbed off leaving it down to the hardpack.

The liftline was sweet (Dan and I were the first ones to hit it today)... the liftline cut-through over to river shot was not.. Rock city...of course I found that out the hard way charging it rather than taking my time to see what was in there..(bad decision to grab first dibs on that one..) It snowed all morning and it was 14 degrees out via the car temp sensor, but it was a warm 14 if there is such a thing. One of the busier days I've seen there although never waited for a chair for more than 3 people all day. We hit some other tree stashes and split ways with Dan to head towards east mtn. Found some more stashes over there, one new one I never hit before which was SWEET... Peeked into risk it, but I bailed before the cliff as I was not skiing to potential by any means today for some reason.

Floyd's was nice early, got scrubbed off quick as well. Mike and I left the parking lot at 1:30 and I made it home with my best time of 1hour 27 minutes.

JADIP!!! The JFBB PASR crew was only 3 today as Dom had to teach over at Boulder.

• Like 1

OK I thought it was -Dan like Knuckle-Dan....dang..what kind of boots did you get? I still have Atomic boots which need replacing but I don't want to break in new boots..

Negative, I was up there, but riding with someone who has only been riding for about 5 days. Pretty much just rode Jane's lane all day until about 11:45 when we had to leave and head to work. Snow was super fun, made for some nice turns.