Sugarloaf Expansion

Dan-

I've always wanted to get up to maine sometime to ride but this makes the loaf even more appealing.

http://sugarloaf2020.com/Terrain.html

I've skied that area before and with a little pruning it would be pretty epic.

The best part of this deal is no new lift so if you want it your going to have to hike, which is perfect because 99% of the east is too fat and lazy to hike 100 yards.

Been to Sugarloaf three time. I did a trip to Sunday River/Sugarloaf 2 years ago before Thanksgiving. Sunday River Monday , and Sugarloaf Tuesday. Tore up my knee like 3rd run on Monday but decided to man up and stick with it. Still hurts every once in awhile, but the doc says its fine. After the day at Sunday River there were reports of some frozen precip coming through with a possibility of r**n mixing in... We looked at Sugarloaf where they we expecting 95% snow with a small chance of rain mixing in, so we drove up. Being early season and them having an extensive but not that powerful snowmaking system, meant they only had 6 trails open off the superquad. We checked into the Spillover motel to a dusting with a ton of hunters there for deer season. Woke up the next morning and there were about 6 inches of snow on the ground. It had clearly rained a little and it was currently sleeting. As we got closer to the mountain it became clear the elevation was going to be a big factor in the storm. By the time we reached the access road it was totaling about 15 inches. Got our tix and hit the lift... First run up, there is Seth Wescott chilling at the top of the lift terminal talking to the lifties. Being that he is the shit up there, he peeled off onto some closed terrain... I'm guessing they didn't clip his ticket... Some wind, but most trails had shin deep pow with some areas waist deep from blower pow... Snowed like a blizzard the whole time... Lift on windhold after lunch and knee killing me so we left home...

Went back a month later after a rain/warm event and mostly boarded on some boiler plate with some granular on top... More terrain but bad conditions...

Went back 2 months later during a rain/snow event (mostly rain)... All lifts on windhold except for the t-bar... Decided it wasn't worth the t-bar to hold into the rain and left...

I would go back to the Loaf, but there are definitely better mountains... It could be all based on conditions... I can say that they may not get the storm fronts that VT does, but it is cold as can be with a heck of an elevation and Latitude...

The persistent Alberta clippers create Champlain powder of the light and dry variety. Sugarloaf and Sunday river tend to get their largest snowfall from noreasters which bomb out in the gulf of Maine. Me personally Stowe/Jay Peak is as far as I can tolerate for a one day drive. Anymore than that and I might as well go out west.

I've got a 10.5 hour drive i need to make in 2 weeks. Sack up.