First time on skii's

bluemt1988

Well I'm a boarder and been one all my life. Have wanted to get into skiing and try it. Today went up to blue and forgot all the little high school punks were up there tonight. Rented my skis, pols, and boots. Put myself as an intermidate as I learn things very quickly.. Went out first run down and it was quite interesting. different but fun. First two runs kept having problems with skii's going every where. Fell a few times. After that started developing carving at slow to mid speeds. One of the beginning runs I fell and some high school punk started mocking me. Ignored it and said fuck it. By the end of the 5,5 hr session I was doing blacks at decent speeds and started developing more fluent carving after some advice from a ski patrol guy who was very nice actually. Met up with that high school punk at the six chair. Threw down $50 and said let's race. You pick the trail. All he had was $20 so I said that's fine. Said window maker, midway, into lower main st. Beat him to the main street lift and he says we didn't shake on "the money part" of it. I said personally I don't care about the money I just want you to know you got beat by a guy that's only been on skii's for a little over 5hrs. Told him let this be a lesson to you. Over all a fun night at blue on skii's :) haha. Didn't get the $20 but the kids face was priceless.

• Like 1

what do you do on flat sections and uphill sections? Or when you have first chair but the skiers behind you pass you cause you have to stop and strap in..

why would you give up snowboarding in 10 years?

flat's and uphill's are a pain, but if you are adept at strapping in / out and have decent bindings then this is not so bad.

first chair is not so important anymore, thousands of acres to explore and powder on most trips.

It's always a pain skiing with boarders. You always have to stop and wait for them to sit down and buckle up or one-foot traverse a flat.

Or have to ski through a ton of them sitting right off the lift, clogging up the slope.

How many times do you see a line of boarders sitting across Tut's, right at the top of the 6-pack? :banghead

Give me two skis and poles any day... :rock

Kudos to the boarders than can ride off the lift, click in and go!

\

no hate on riding..there are pros to snowboarding too..in the woods I feel like snowboards are better as they are a bit shorter and seem to float better over snowsnakes..I think snowboarding in deep powder has to be the ill shiznit..I'm more afraid to get injured trying it out..I'd need a good instructor like Robert2 and alot of body armour..a couple years ago BadAssbunny who taught snowboarding at Blue decided to give skiing a try and in 3 runs on Paradise she went from hating it to loving it..of course cause I gave her some steezy pointers.

It took me four days on skis until I was going down Lazy Mile and it wasn't until my 3rd season that I was straightlining main street..you picked it up quick.. :bow:

No hate here either, just observations. :wiggle

However, there are bad/good in both boarders and skiers. Those who have no consideration for beginners on beginner slopes.

Hate is reserved for those that "think" they're good enough and barrel down Burma, Paradise or Lazy (Crazy) to show off.

If they ARE that good, they should head to the runs where they won't hurt any beginners who are just trying to develop a love for the sport.

Have to also say that I have tried boarding too. Can't knock something unless you tried it. Did it out in Winter Park where runs are nice and wide and even took a lesson.

Have to say it was fun, once I got the hang of it. However, I spent more time on my butt than actually boarding. My shoulders, wrists, elbows, butt all hurt bad the next day.

I think it's far better suited for Western areas. Out here in the East, we ski/board mostly hard-pack. Watch most boarders going down Chute or upper Challenge, they're not

boarding, they're just sideways pushing the snow. True good boarders surf the snow, IMHO.

Edited by indiggio

what do you do on flat sections and uphill sections? Or when you have first chair but the skiers behind you pass you cause you have to stop and strap in..

I have no need to stop to strap in... If I am riding by myself or with fellow riders using Flow's or K2 stepins we just ride off the lift and strap in while still riding.

Flats are a different area. I want to make a contractable pole that slides in to its self kind of like a billy club does so it's compact when you dont need it but im too lazy to try it.... I'll just waddle which is most efficent or I'll unstrap, walk and re strap in only takes 6 seconds and I can do that while riding. Stepins are the best.

I started my Winter love off as a Skiier BUT I tried Snowboarding 3 years later and fell in love with it sold my Ski crap later and never touched Skiis since. It's been 12 years since I Skiied.

No wait I lied and my facts are wrong! I'ts been 10 years since I Skiied. Ever since Blue allowed Snowboarding.

Edited by Nidecker