Slaying Deciduous Trees

Ride Delaware ?

Well, according to Elk's Daily Photo page, they are doing some serious tree cutting this year. Elk often lists 700+ new spruce trees every year on their improvements page, which does really help block wind, but this year they are cutting down trees on the west slope to replace them with Spruce trees. I am sure this isn't the first time they have done this, but I have been following Elk for 10 years, and this is the first time I have seen them cut down a massive swath of trees to replace them with Spruce trees. The only downside I see to this is that it will make it a little more difficult to poach in that area on powder days, but most of the fun stuff in the trees is farther up anyway. Props to them for blocking the wind, but it sucks that these trees won't be a decent size until 2016.

their improvements are more trees..lol..it's a freaking ski area..they should be cutting down trees to make more terrain or at least some glades...steeze louise..I hope Blue adds more garbage cans as an improvement..

I believe the addition of some spruces in select areas really is beneficial from a wind standpoint. The mountain holds up incredibly well during windy periods and it is tough to feel the wind on many of these areas. However, they should definitely work on making "improvements" that will significantly better the experience. Very few people are going to look at their improvements and say "gee, they added a bunch of spruce trees and i think we should try out Elk next year". I would definitely approve of some glades. With their exposure, being farther north, increased snowfall, and spruce trees covering most of snow in the trees from sun, they could definitely have some decent glade skiing on good snow years. I doubt that will happen, so I'll just keep my rock board with me for those days I'm feeling adventurous. I wonder what other "improvements" they will add to the list. I hope it isn't the addition of several hundred Douglas Firs lol

When I saw the title of this thread I got excited thinking elk may actually try to live up to its "like skiing in VT" slogan and finally allow tree skiing. Of course I was wrong. No surprise.

same here - i thought this was going to be about some awesome new stuff at elk, when in reality its just about landscaping. But it is always good to hear about improvements to a mountain.

Elk would be the bomb in PA if they let you ski the trees.

Elk's already the bomb... It would be 2X the bomb if we were able to ski the trees legally :halo Although it would surely get vetoed, we should try to get a petition in line to have a small gladed section cleared to "test" the concept...

Elks a great place to ski no doubt and your right, it would be 2x as good if you didnt have to look over your shoulder should you make a turn off piste. Regarding a petition, I don't think the current owners will ever allow it. I remember a thread a few years back that included an email response from the owner and he was pretty serious about never opening up the trees.

I just chuckle at the like skiing in VT slogan. I can't name an area in VT (or anywhere north of Elk for that matter) that has a sign telling you that if you ski in the woods or if you ski fast :rofl you'll have your ticket pulled. I'm not dissing Elk. It does offer a true mountain feel and the snow is usually great, as is the terrain. But it could be so much more. IDK Maybe I'm spoiled because I spend 80% of the time in the trees at Jack Frost and think it would be weird not being able to explore the hill. I mean isn't that part of what makes skiing fun?

Yeah I was the one who got that nasty email response from Elk Management, to be fair I sent them a fairly nasty email to start it. I don't care what you're feeling on skiing with backpacks is but it still grinds my gear that they don't allow it there.

The tree skiing there should definitely be opened though, it's arguably one of the best mountains in PA as far as terrain goes. Looks like they even went as far as to plant some new trees in front of that little boulder drop way over skiers left that I noticed this year. It really sucks, I'd probably visit that place 4x as often if they allowed tree skiing.

Yeah I was the one who got that nasty email response from Elk Management, to be fair I sent them a fairly nasty email to start it. I don't care what you're feeling on skiing with backpacks is but it still grinds my gear that they don't allow it there.

The tree skiing there should definitely be opened though, it's arguably one of the best mountains in PA as far as terrain goes. Looks like they even went as far as to plant some new trees in front of that little boulder drop way over skiers left that I noticed this year. It really sucks, I'd probably visit that place 4x as often if they allowed tree skiing.

I sent them an email several years ago that was promptly replied to. It was peaceful, so the response was peaceful. I didn't know they didn't allow backpacks. Thats pretty interesting. I personally think backpackers are almost as bad as gapers in some places. I have no problem with someone wearing one out west and taking their lunch, avy gear, or drinks with them since it can be long trips in between a quick stop at the base lodge. I don't even have a problem with it at some Northeast Mountains if you want to save some money and take a small lunch or something with you. However, at a PA mountain, and most Catskill Mountains, there is absolutely no reason you should need to take a pack with you. Minus Elk's lower lot, you can easily leave whatever you might need in the car and walk out there quickly to grab it. To me it just seems like way to many people think it looks cool rather than it being utilitarian. That being said, I do think it is ridiculous to ban them, unless they are blatantly saying "What the hell do you need to wear a backpack for? Seriously..." And since they aren't, its a stupid ban.

We continue to go back to the tree skiing. One of these days I am going to actually get some pictures in the "mythical" Elk trees. I have been in them, others have been in them, but nobody has proof. I really wish they weren't sticklers on it, because then you could have a bunch of fun. While you can poach easily on weekdays, it is kinda risky on weekends. However, if they keep blocking the sides of the trails with evergreens, then they wont be able to see if we are indeed in the trees :nana

I wish there was a way to convince them to change that policy. However, everybody there has been working there for like 30 years and are pretty set in the way they do things. If they had tree skiing I would definitely go there more often than I currently do. It would definitely make it less boring if you add some variety. Luckily I found Plattekill this winter and was very pleased. They have a very good Elk vibe, basically no rules, and no lift lines. Elk should take a lesson...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?