Plattekill High Speed Lift?

I don't know why it took me so long to pose this question, but I remember seeing on their trail map i got at the mountain something about an express lift. I know we don't have many catskill afficianados here, but I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me. I love the vibe there, and dont mind the slow lifts, but having a lift on the trail map that isnt there or not being planned in the near future, seems odd... To add to this mystery, I have seen no info on it anywhere... Is this the old t-bar?

The only time I was there, I was like "am I just really high, or is there a phantom lift situation happening here?" I'm sure someone on Alpinezone would have the answer.

I mean, I'm not on crack right? It really says something about an "express" lift somewhere right?

I have an older trail map that shows the T-bar and the Northface Double Chair. On the older map the Northface Double was called the Northface Express but it is not a high speed lift. Installing that(second hand)lift was one of the first big things that the current owner did. It took a few a years as they had the money.

I agree with GSS, I'm sure a high speed lift is not on the top of their priority list. They added snowmaking last year and in spite of good snow the last two years I would think that adding more snowmaking would be a priority before adding a high speed lift. They're only open Friday thru Sunday except during holiday periods.

The owner and his family took a trip to Jay Peak after Plattekill closed this year. He said he has tram envy after that trip. A great guy competing against state run ski areas that give tickets away. Support him and make a trip to Plattekill next season. Great terrain and great vibe. Here's a link to his Jay Peak blog:

Lazlo's Jay Peak Report

This was this years trail map (or maybe they are using leftover ones from years past... That being said, with the low skier volume and the relatively recent addition of the new chairlift, I believe I was still looking at an old map with the t-bar on it... Either way, the combination of good terrain, good natural snow, and cheap prices make it a new favorite of mine... It's got a great "down to earth" vibe and slow lifts like Elk... If your looking for something a little different and are willing to drive for it, find Plattekill... You wont be disappointed...

This was this years trail map (or maybe they are using leftover ones from years past... That being said, with the low skier volume and the relatively recent addition of the new chairlift, I believe I was still looking at an old map with the t-bar on it... Either way, the combination of good terrain, good natural snow, and cheap prices make it a new favorite of mine... It's got a great "down to earth" vibe and slow lifts like Elk... If your looking for something a little different and are willing to drive for it, find Plattekill... You wont be disappointed...

They used to use old brochures for trailmaps. They cut off the top and the bottom is the map. That's the map I have that calls it the North Face Express. Maybe they still use some of these for trail maps.

Despite the lifts there are no lines and great terrain.

I agree with GSS, I'm sure a high speed lift is not on the top of their priority list. They added snowmaking last year and in spite of good snow the last two years I would think that adding more snowmaking would be a priority before adding a high speed lift. They're only open Friday thru Sunday except during holiday periods.

Trackbiker is right about this. Lazlo is buying up as much snowmaking gear as he can afford. He sent us these pics at the end of April:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Plattekill-Conditions-tp2150831p2862417.html

(Guess the NY ski area they came from.)

The owner and his family took a trip to Jay Peak after Plattekill closed this year. He said he has tram envy after that trip. A great guy competing against state run ski areas that give tickets away. Support him and make a trip to Plattekill next season. Great terrain and great vibe. Here's a link to his Jay Peak blog:

Lazlo's Jay Peak Report

Thanks for the link trackbiker. Laz actually posted 3 blog entries from Jay Peak and they were really entertaining. The guy's a mad dog - he banged them out on an iPhone. Plus, if you've seen him on skis - he's a total ripper. Support Plattekill. It rocks.

Hmm... We are more of PA folk down here... Some Greek Peak regulars, but not many... Which ski area? Did one recently go to NELSAP? Or are these older pipes from a ski area upgrading?

It was once NELSAP, and may well be again.

Those are tower guns, being sold to raise cash, with no replacements lined up.

It was once NELSAP, and may well be again.

Those are tower guns, being sold to raise cash, with no replacements lined up.

Nice to see you posting on here Harv. From the hint I'm guessing Big Tupper? They look to be in good shape and not that old. Go Lazlo! I never understand why people will go to Belleayre when they could go right down the road to Plattekill for better terrain, less crowds, and a great vibe. Love the lodge.

It is hard to get there from PA. There is no real direct route. But once you get there it's worth it.

I had heard that Big Tupper never had real powerful snowmaking. I would be surprised if they had that much new looking snowmaking equipment left at this point. Although, I really would like to get to Tupper at least once if they unfortunately have to close again...

Nice to see you posting on here Harv. From the hint I'm guessing Big Tupper? They look to be in good shape and not that old. Go Lazlo! I never understand why people will go to Belleayre when they could go right down the road to Plattekill for better terrain, less crowds, and a great vibe. Love the lodge.

It is hard to get there from PA. There is no real direct route. But once you get there it's worth it.

My impression is people go to Belle over Platte because they are getting free/discounted tickets at Belle.

Thanks for the welcome trackbiker.

Your quess is correct - BT it is. Laszlo has been buying what he can from them for the last few years.

As far as the extra distance to Plattekill ... from our place in flatlander central it's maybe 20 or 30 mins past Bell. This past season, on 12/5

and Belle is closer..bigger..more vert..and high speed quad...and better snowmaking..

Belleayre has maybe 100 more vertical feet off the Super Chief. No one on here is going to ski the beginners area below that. Plattekill has zero flat runout.

Belleayre has better snowmaking but when it snows Plattekill is the place to go.

If you count the time standing in line, you'll get to the top faster at Plattekill than on Belle's HSQ. And the trails will be less crowded and less skied off on the way down at Plattekill.

Plattekill has to compete against state owned Belleayre who gives away tickets and offers big discounts. Plattekill has a lot of special deal days and discounts. The little more you may pay at Plattekill is worth it for the terrain, the vibe, and to support a guy who loves running his ski area and is working like crazy to make it even better.

Depending in the way you go, it may be 20 minutes farther to Plattekill but you'll get more runs in on better terrain at Plattekill.

Never mind. Go to Belleayre. I enjoy looking at it from the top of Plattekill and thinking that I'm glad I'm not there standing in line while I'm skiing a better mountain with better conditions and less crowds. Plattekill rocks.

Bell is definitely closer, and does have some good off map tree runs, but for my money, I'll take less people, no lines, better vert, and more natural any day... I was fortunate enough to try Plattekill this year twice, and I will be back for sure... It's definitely a great mountain I can hit late season or on a day I'm headed to Vermont...

I don't have any figures but I think they must have seen a rise in attendance with the good snow years they had the last two years. Plus the word is getting out about Plattekill's terrain and vibe. Glad to see they're adding snowmaking capacity for the lean years and to get a base down on more trails for when they do get the natural. Plattekill rocks!

They Have 75% snowmaking coverage... Are the trails with snowmaking usually covered by Christmas? I'm sure their snowmaking is slow but steady... Hopefully they continue to add snowmaking by year. I wouldn't mind making this an early and late season option. They are definitely farther out than the other catskill ski areas and have a little bit of a micro climate...

You had me at micro climate.

I was actually going to throw a shout out to you in parentheses, but I figured that if you gave a shit, you would find it anyway lol... Definitely not your kinda place Steeze... Too far for a day trip, slow lifts, and if your going that far, might as well go to Vermont... Maybe one day you'll be adventurous again :nana Your missing out!!!