Sunday River 4-20/21-13

Ride Delaware ?

I've actually got a couple TRs saved up over the past week, so I will try to roll them out with less detail than normal, but also keep some pics in there to keep the masses happy.

Sunday River closed 4/14 for daily operations and had been stating for a couple weeks that if they opened it would be only the Barker Mountain quad regardless of traffic levels.

Went in about 11:30 and decided to lap until closing. Parked in the 3rd lot. It was about 55 degrees with nobody there. Great corn snow, not sticky. The change in snow cover during the week was amazing. Most trails still had great cover with some dirt popping through and some of the rock ledges melting out. Top Gun really stood out and had only one runout with snow.

null.jpgnull-1.jpg

null-2.jpgnull-3.jpg

Sunday was a completely different story. The last day of the season the mountain offers free skiing for customer appreciation. Considering the turnout was low on Saturday, I figured turnout would be better on Sunday, but not much crazier, so I got there earlier at 10. Boy was I wrong.

I arrived to a packed parking lot and access road. I ended up parking nearly a half mile away and walking. The lift foreman were hawking the free lift tickets in the lift line and the line was ridiculous. While it looked super long, it was moving quickly and only resulted in a 10-12 minute lift line, but it was the longest I had ever seen.

null-4.jpg

I ended up taking about 8 runs. I got some insider info that some of the closed stuff skied well, so I ducked a rope to try it out since you could piece your way down to the lift. They had groomed the snow off the maintenance road that runs up some trails, and I thought I had been steered wrong, but there was a 2-3 foot wide path that was skiable to the trail which then had perfect coverage. Even the path back to the lift was decent despite not being groomed for a week. There was one spot you had to hop to avoid dirt, but it was almost insignificant.

null-5.jpgnull-6.jpg

At the end of the day we did a 15 minute hike over to White Heat which had been closed for 2 weeks but still had perfect coverage. Snow was getting a little crusty in the shade, but what a great last run at SR for the season.

null-8.jpg

Top of White Cap looking at Barker:

null-7.jpg

Edited by Ride Delaware ?