ASRA - Gearing up

skimom

There will always be the fiercly competitive, (my way - or the highway) groups that seem to me, to be "old school"  cough USSA cough

31752[/snapback]

Have you seen a USSA race, Papa? Have you watched a USSA practice?

Exactly what is "old school" about the best all around skiers on the planet?

I can show you a list of 200 USSA kids that are better all-around skiers than any of the very top "new schoolers" on the various little circuits...

Bode Miller "old school"? :lol:

Oops, gotta get back to my X Games new schooler shovel racing tapes.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen a USSA race, Papa? Have you watched a USSA practice?

Nope...  no desire to yet

Exactly what is "old school" about the best all around skiers on the planet?

HUH?

I can show you a list of 200 USSA kids that are better all-around skiers than any of the very top "new schoolers" on the various little circuits...

So what? your point is?

Bode Miller "old school"? :lol:

Nope....  Bode is new school!!

Oops, gotta get back to my X Games new schooler shovel racing tapes.

What channel??  I'm there

31761[/snapback]

Bode is the epitome of the current USSA program. He is a product of USSA and an eastern ski academy. Bode is as "old school" as they come, unless "new school" is simply defined as "oddball". But the newest crop of USSA kids that are competing in FIS (Ligety, Mancuso, Kildow) all have outgoing personalities...

It's interesting that some people want to embrace Bode as "new school". Why? Credibility for the "new school" term?

There might seem to be a "my way or the highway" attitude. But it's the same way for every serious sport that has people trying to make a buck on the perimeter. There's a local indoor batting cage where a camp instructor was teaching the kids to wag the bat like Gary Sheffield.

Sort of like teaching a kid to drive a car with two fingers.

Now, if someone just wants their kids to learn enough to play pick-up league softball, then by all means...but if they want their kids to learn lifelong skills that could take them to the World Cup, then they better learn the right way.

• 5 weeks later...
Asra? I've heard of that somewhere before. ;)

Ah yes, Johnny. MC has one of the best ASRA courses around. Love that run with the headwall, then the left turn and down the home stretch. How about hosting a PASKIANDRIDE race day there? GS in the AM and SL in the PM :lol

Sorry, I wasnt watching this thread. Hey, I really like the race hill at MC, albeit it could be a little longer, but in order to keep it from closing off more than one trail to the public it has the finish you are familiar with. Anyway, as far as MC Racing running a GS/SL, they can do it, They do it all the time, the only thing is that for a non-USSA race you might have to do two runs on the same course ( with minor changes in bad rutted gates) due to the fact that there are not as many people who would be working the race. Which is what ASRA does anyway. I'm not sure what criteria you would have to meet to run an event there like that, but I am sure it would depend on numbers that would be showing up. Unfortunately, I am not the one to arrange that with and you need to contact Mt Creek Racing to do that, I can provide you with the name of someone to talk to in the pre-season. You can also mention my name or I can make a premeptive phone call letting them know what you are looking to do. MC does alot of these things and if it helps bring in money for the racing dept, it's usually a great idea. How serious are you about this?

Edited by JohnnyP

• 6 months later...

I'm going to be a member this next year...I heard they have Downhills for Masters...I saw about it on Epicski..anyway I should do a super-G first. Maybe 180 LT 11s... :rock

People have moved to Colorado for winters just to ski Masters downhill races, where I believe they hold six, plus SG's. New England Masters don't have downhills; just SG's that are usually held at Mt. Snow and Sugarbush.

Couldn't you just take a ski trip out there to race a downhill? It doesn't seem worth it for 6 downhills whch is like 13 minutes worth of skiing.

Well, there's only 10 World Cup downhills each year...

But consider wanting to really experience life as a downhill racer. Maybe you've raced a couple of Eastern FIS Opens, or some Masters SG's, and you get hooked on that speed. I bet a number of people on this MB have had at least a small taste of running your skis all-out, getting to the point where if you blew out, you'd get seriously hurt. And there are a whole bunch of SG's to add to those 6 DH's, so you're racing every weekend at a different Rocky Mountain resort.

Alcohol can cut a big hole in the ski budget, especially if you drink at bars and restaurants. I'm glad my family only dabbles in alcohol.

Good luck with the downhills. I'll leave that to you younger guys - though I may try another SG, if conditions are good.

You join Masters through USSA:

http://www.ussa.org/PublishingFolder/235.htm

You simply pay the membership fee and whatever local fee there is where you plan to race (there are 8 geographic regions in the US). BUT, there's a temporary weekend membership that allows you to race in two events each season. They promote it to get more new racers hooked.

Heck, 'Bum if you get an FIS Masters license, you can travel all over Europe to race...

There's no qualifications (other than health insurance or a waiver, paid dues, a helmet, and 'suitable' equipment). It's basically just fill out the paperwork and go do it.