ASRA - Gearing up

skimom

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

001: I don't agree. I doubt the Foy's make any money from ASRA. :no They pay for the race trail for the day, which is costly, especially at the bigger resorts. The medals cost money, as do the door prizes - and, most are bought, not donated. Each race needs 35-50 racers to break even - they've had to phased out places because they lose money.

Your message sounds like you think ASRA is a substandard operation. ASRA has a terrific reputation - people from all over the country recognize and respect it. The Foys may not be pros, in that they don't run it like a business, but they do a first rate job at providing Master's opportunity for improvement and competitive fun.

Edited by skimom

They pay for the race trail for the day, which is costly, especially at the bigger resorts.

31519[/snapback]

I sent my $25 membership renewal in today...I wonder how much Blue Mt. charges for closing down a premier black diamond slope for an entire mid-winter weekend day?

Or Sugarbush...or Killington...or Hunter...

Agreed, 'Mom. Interesting that it was drape001's first post. Very few things are ever a coincidence.

I noticed that too. But, who would write such a thing? :confused Anti-Foy is like being anti-apple pie.

Pops, what are you thinking????? It would be totally unacceptable for them to quit because of finances (or for any other reason).

Edited by skimom

It would be totally unacceptable for them to quit because of finances (or for any other reason).

31555[/snapback]

Ok - I changed my mind.... regardless if they are pouring $$$$$ into ASRA, if they ever quit - we will just have to string em by thier toenails.. :devil:

999 is right, very few people are involved in coaching for the money...at the end of the season you made less than minimum wage, dealt with many A-hole parents, administrators and kids that don't have the same work ethic that we had growing up. Yet many coaches come back year after year for the love of the sport.

I'm not sure that's fair. Perspective plays a huge roll. ALL kids aren't lazy.

31579[/snapback]

Youth sports participation have changed a lot in the last few decades. What boy didn't play baseball in the 1950's? Or the 60's and 70's? We like to think that today's pro athletes are superior than they were 30 years ago...but they aren't. The talent pool is spread thin among more sports, or playing no sport at all. Are kids lazier today? Well, they watch six hours of tv each day compared to two hours in 1970. Maybe lazy isn't a great word; perhaps sedentary?

Okay, back to watching the Yankee game on tv... :D

001:  I don't agree. I doubt the Foy's make any money from ASRA.  :no  They pay for the race trail for the day, which is costly, especially at the bigger resorts.  The medals cost money, as do the door prizes - and, most are bought, not donated.  Each race needs 35-50 racers to break even - they've had to phased out places because they lose money.

Your message sounds like you think ASRA is a substandard operation. ASRA has a terrific reputation - people from all over the country recognize and respect it.  The Foys may not be pros, in that they don't run it like a business, but they do a first rate job at providing Master's opportunity for improvement and competitive fun.

31519[/snapback]

Good Heavens, where do you get all these inferences? I was merely trying to correct some misconceptions that had been posted.

I have raced the ASRA series for the last 10 years. I am VERY VERY thankful it is available. It is great fun and I live for it. But most of the things posted were false. The Foys do a great job of running it, however, they don't volunteer. This is their business and how they earn their living - at least part of it. There is nothing wrong with this - more power to them and like Papasteeze said:

"I hope they make a ton of money and keep doing it".... because I want to keep racing the series! The doorprizes are donated from the various sponsors and ski shops. Get real - how could anyone buy all that stuff themselves?

How did I become anti-Foy? I'm a good friend of theirs!

And as for being my first post: I just saw the link that Papasteeze posted on the ASRA bulletin board and just found this site, which I had hoped had some races.....

BTW, another race series that's really fun can be found at:

http://www.issa-sports.org/

I'm a good friend of theirs!

Well, Drape, some of us have list of folks we consider beyond any hint of criticism...we are generally unabashedly harsh on anyone appearing even slightly negative of people that run a race series that doesn't cancel due to blizzards; anyone resembling Al Hobart; shop guys that give you screws and other small items for free; and, certainly not to be forgotten, U6 soccer coaches.

My apologies for seeming harsh to you.

Edited by ski999

Good Heavens, where do you get all these inferences?  I was merely trying to correct some misconceptions that had been posted.  I have raced the ASRA series for the last 10 years.  But most of the things posted were  false.  The Foys do a great job of running it, however, they don't volunteer.  This is their business and how they earn their living - at least part of it.  The doorprizes are donated from the various sponsors and ski shops.  Get real - how could anyone buy all that stuff themselves?

How did I become anti-Foy? 

You talk with authority, but it doesn't mean you are correct. And, don't tell me to get real - I've heard the Foys say they buy most of the doorprizes, and they do not charge enough to make substantial money on ASRA. Good heavens, yourself - the inferences were made because the tone of your message was negative.

If you are an ASRA addict, why do you list yourself exclusively as a snowboarder?

You talk with authority, but it doesn't mean you are correct.  And, don't tell me to get real - I've heard the Foys say they buy most of the doorprizes, and they do not charge enough to make substantial money on ASRA.  Good heavens, yourself - the inferences were made because the tone of your message was negative. 

If you are an ASRA addict, why do you list yourself exclusively as a snowboarder?

31698[/snapback]

:deadhorse:

Welcome Drape, from what I hear you're a pretty fast skier :rock Glad to have you around :yes

You talk with authority, but it doesn't mean you are correct.  And, don't tell me to get real - I've heard the Foys say they buy most of the doorprizes, and they do not charge enough to make substantial money on ASRA.  Good heavens, yourself - the inferences were made because the tone of your message was negative. 

31698[/snapback]

I think it's very possible you are both right...

Drape, aside from KMart finals, have you noticed attendance in the last couple of years? And ski areas are now charging an absolute premium for use of their slopes for weekend races. Mountain Creek, Tanglwood, Hidden Valley had 35 to 50 racers showing up---there were almost 150 at MC in '01 and nearly 100 at a late season Jack Frost race that same year. It also reflects on sponsorships, of course.

Some of the attitude of ski clubs has been pretty crappy, in fact. MACK happily rented my home hill's NASTAR course for club race, yet openly complain that ASRA is too expensive. I told my dear MACK friends that they should get off their lazy asses and support real gate running, or their only option will be green circle NASTAR courses at places like Shawnee.

Peace.

Welcome Drape!!!!  Glad you found us!! The dynamics of the written message board post can easily be misinterpreted  (SP?)  The ISSA org is a good one - do you know Jeni?

31682[/snapback]

Sorrry, guys, I certainly didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot! Yes, to what Papa says, things are easily misinterpreted. And yes, I know Jeni and all the ISSA people as well. Great group!

Thanks for the welcome.

And Yes, Ski999, I have noticed the attendance and the attitude. Too bad. I hope this board can generate more interest, enthusiasm, and attendance at the races!

Sorrry, guys, I certainly didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot!  Yes, to what Papa says, things are easily misinterpreted.  And yes, I know Jeni and all the ISSA people as well.  Great group!

Thanks for the welcome.

And Yes, Ski999, I have noticed the attendance and the attitude.  Too bad.  I hope this board can generate more interest, enthusiasm, and attendance at the races!

31737[/snapback]

No apologies needed!! My kids and I are brand spanking new to competitive snow sports. There are so many opinions.. It's easy to get caught up in the minutia of opinionated written details and end, forgetting to include, that we are all part of the same group who love the snow.

I am hoping that groups like Jeni and the ISSA, NASTAR - www.paskiandride.com are a sign that some newer snow groups are making sure that being on the snow is fun. There will always be the fiercly competitive, (my way - or the highway) groups that seem to me, to be "old school" cough USSA cough

My heart breaks for our local ski club that excludes family members from an inter-club fun race. If I could, I would do more.....

BTW - when the ISSA posts their schedule - I will adding their events to our calendar too!!