Jobs at cb

LineSki

They have an organizational meeting for new instructors around Thanksgiving. Yuki (on the CB messageboard) is an instructor and could give you more specifics about who to contact and how to contact them. Send him a PM.

The skidude and Racerchick were both vaguely interested in this at one point, but CB is rigid about working all weekends, etc., and that didn't mesh with their racing interests.

Get in touch with them around october, then plan to be at the meeting around thanksgiving. if you sign up expect to work all weekends, and even weeknights if you are a student in school. they make pretty good money and if you are lucky enough to get a private lesson you make good tips. leave alot of november open for training weekends

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to hear grumblings with the new management's monitoring of employees. The new guy is in there every day making the old folks who know what they are doing nervous. And, his wife's a witch, also hanging around disrupting what works. :bow:

CB employees were always henpecked a bit, IMHO, but this may get worse. We better keep an eye on it.

expanding as requested :D ...... cold, indifferent, complacent, exclusionary, pompous, indifferent.... those changed as I frequented and pestered and worked my way inside last season. It's not so bad now, but the first impressions were lasting ones. CB has more ticket sales than any other mountain and they tend to act like it - at least that was my impression. Even now, I am not confident that the race team or park is going to get the attention congruant to the size of the mountain that they deserve. While I remain optimistic and supportive I am also cautious and wary to make a full blown commitment to calling CB our home mountain..

As far as shaking things up, I can appreciate the feelings of those who made thier careers at CB and I might feel the same if I was in their shoes however, I am not. The way I see things is at a minimum, I buy a ticket and I ride the lift and I ski down the hill like anywhere else or I buy into the whole scene to encourage, advocate, support the whole skiing lifestyle at CB to others.

We feel like CB is our home MTN, probably because our family learned to ski there. We have friends from Beginner Instructors through the CATS and Master's coaches, patrollers, rangers, etc. Maybe because we learned from within their system they have almost always been welcoming to us. If there is anything I dislike about the CB staff, it would be the "complacent" you mention. The long-term staff seems oppressed and a few are lazy. Most do not work to improve the programs. I think they feel they need to maintain the status quo to survive at CB. Have a few drinks with them...

The 'dude has done well racing with CB, but he's self motivated. He heavily supplements outside of what their program offers. I am also faster than many of their Masters, with less ski experience, but also went outside their program to do this. I consider CB our ski launching pad, but do not think it will help much for where we want to go.

I think it will be good for Ridge to ski with old friends and to make other friends his age. He'll probably have a blast. And, the coaches should be able to help him. I'd wager you find the program a bit inert, but figure out ways to supplement it.

Edited by skimom

• 2 months later...

ok Im gonna be an insturcter this year

I just sent my applacation in

come up to the east cafe on dec 3 for a class tought by the psia... its 50 bucks 10-4

i was an instructor a couple years ago.. didnt like it that much i mean ist great and all if you wanna work alot and take as many lessons as possible..

but i just kinda stood in the back during line up and then went and rode the parks.. which therefore i was losing money due to the drive.. so i just quit towards the end of the season

My brother worked last year as a snowboard instructer... he made enough money to pay for gas to get us up there and get bagels and coffee at dunken doughnuts, and thats about it.

But I know he had a lot of fun doing it and loved teaching, he's trying to see if he can work weekends now because he has a "real" job on the weekdays.

(He's moved up in the world from couch bum to a working man...I'm real proud)

But I'd instruct if I was old enough just for the fun of it... getting to do your favorite thing and have fun showing people how to do it - can you complain? (as long as they speak fluent english ) :P

My brother worked last year as a snowboard instructer... he made enough money to pay for gas to get us up there and get bagels and coffee at dunken doughnuts, and thats about it.

But I know he had a lot of fun doing it and loved teaching, he's trying to see if he can work weekends now because he has a "real" job on the weekdays.

But I'd instruct if I was old enough just for the fun of it... getting to do your favorite thing and have fun showing people how to do it - can you complain? (as long as they speak fluent english ) :P

haha yeah thats sometimes a problem.. i usually taught kids but here and there when i got an adult group some would barely speak english.. makes it really hard

i had fun teachin but i just didnt teach enough to make up for the gas money and everything else.. but it was a good experience dont get me wrong haha when i get older and move to like VT or something ill just work at a mountain everywinter and become a "ski bum" haha

• 2 weeks later...

you're just mad cause he beat up all your boyfriends.

yeah, you make no money, you get to ride for free provided you aren't teaching making no money. if you take every lesson you might make a couple bucks but you do break even every year at best.

yeah, you make no money, you get to ride for free provided you aren't teaching making no money. if you take every lesson you might make a couple bucks but you do break even every year at best.

well lets just say i never broke even.. the year i worked there i think each of my paychecks were like 12 bucks haha maybe a $20 or $30 here or there.. not to mention someone backed up into my beautiful VW Corrado that year and cracked the fog light, chipped paint, cracked the front bumper (which was aftermarket) the front bumper itself was like 300 bucks.. so yeah i lost alot of money and i was so pissed that night walking out to my car and seeing the front end just completely messed up.. if the person who did it was stil there then i would of :rocks

Edited by brtndominant

Im not even worried about breaking even this year, after all im only 16. :nana:nana:wiggle