Wintergreen Va

Papasteeze

I never heard of this place until today - 1000' vert, high speed lifts, anticipated opening November 26th!!!

They were blowing snow on March 25th, had a park party in April...... I'm pumped!

It looks to be about 4 1/2 hours for us (about the same as New York.. Anyone ever been there?

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/ski/index.asp

This was December 3rd or something last year.

dec3-eagles300.jpg

Edited by Papasteeze

Never went to wintergreen. There are 2 mountains to my knowledge in Virginia. Wintergreen and Massanutten. I learned to snowboard at massanutten however wintergreen is supposed to be the nicer of the two. Mass had a fairly impressive park when I was there, which was 6+ years ago. I remember people doing inverted aerials... but I don't remember any pipe.

The snow when I was there was slushy but there seemed to be plenty of it. It was too hot during the day to wear a jacket (all 3 times I went), however by night a light jacket become nessecary.

Mass felt like more a "destination" resort than anything around the poconos does. I'm not sure if it was the fact that it was a resort and not just a mountain, or my young age, or simply that going to the mountain was such a magical experience (remember, I only went 3 times, prior to that 1 trip out to colorado which I hardly remember, and cross country skiing as a VERY young child which I don't remember at all). All that being said, if I had a choice between hunter and massanutten and anything in NY, I would go to NY just for the snow quality. The only thing that keeps me in PA is the convenience, but hey if you're down in VA for a weekend anyways, I would say it's definately worth your time.

... it took me 3 hours to get the mountain when I lived in Va, imagine the sheer delight when I found out I would be moving to a place where the closest mountain was less than a half hour away!

... changed my mind on wintergreen... a 6 person lift servicing nothing but blacks in Va. If the blacks are even half way decent it could be a very beautiful thing. No n00bs screwing up the lift traffic, and off the radar of all the ski bums. It might be a pertty sweet spot after all. I'd definately give it a shot.

... changed my mind on wintergreen... a 6 person lift servicing nothing but blacks in Va. If the blacks are even half way decent  it could be a very beautiful thing. No n00bs screwing up the lift traffic, and off the radar of all the ski bums. It might be a pertty sweet spot after all. I'd definately give it a shot.

29823[/snapback]

There is a newschooler who spends his summer in bethany, he has 4 brothers. I'll get him over here to tell us some more.

I searched NS and it is waaaaaaay under the radar. Apparently 2 years ago they did not open until Feb 1st yet when I look at their photo album from last year... it looks to be amazing.. :rock

They may open earlier than the pocono's because some parts of the Appalachians down south are in a higher elevation then us. I know that there is some ski area in VA that offered grass skiing and mountain boarding.

29841[/snapback]

Bryce Mountain has the grass skiing - I was hoping to make down this summer - but it hasn't worked out so far.

Ah, that maybe the place I am thinking of. I still say that if we got a place in the Pocono's to offer grass skiing and mountain boarding they would make it. They would only have to open a few lifts to service the mountain thus keeping the costs down a bit. The location is also perfect for the market. New York and New Jersey are both close by and if there is no place up north that offers any of these summer sports I'm sure it would attract people to the Pocono's. Someone like blue or elk should offer it seeing how they have no summer activities going on, on the mountain. Bear Creek also has potential seeing how they don't have anything going on, on the mountain either during the summer months.

I totally agree - I am taking 5 pairs of grass skis to Bear and going to campaign them hard for next year and see what happens.. the problem is equipment.. the people making these skis doen't seem to be interested in selling individual pairs - which maybe the problem in itself.

Rob, if the equipment is a problem why don't you look into making your own grass skiing equipment? Then you can sell to the resorts that offer grass skiing and people who do grass skiing as a hobby that wish to own their own equipment. It doesn't look like too much competition for manufacturing grass skis so you could have your own niche market. Rob, YOU could revolutionize the grass skiing world as we know it, lol.

I looked into it locally here, the problem is tooling estimates are in the 50-100k to get started with the frame and plastic peice that holds the rollers, then there is a patent thing to be concerned about. too much work for me at this time... good idea with money and time to burn, I believe there is a market for someone motivated enough to convince some mountains to open thier lifts.......... not me., not at this time....

• 1 month later...
I never heard of this place until today - 1000' vert, high speed lifts, anticipated opening November 26th!!! 

In the years I was at college in Northern VA, they never managed to open until mid-December...but I imagine they've upgraded snowmaking quite a bit in the last couple of, uh, seasons. Actually, the place had just opened a few years before and was absolutely jam packed every weekend.

I remeber reading about someplace south of the Mason-Dixon line, somewhere around Virginia and North Carolinia that had the advantage of having high altitude, and a major lake next to it. It was supposed to get some massive amounts of lake-effect snow, around 300 inches a year. I forget the name of it though, anyone else know it?