Catskills Conditions Update 3/1

Johnny Law

This isn't a TR because I was teaching my kid and did a total of maybe 5 solo runs.

That said Platty and Bell were in truly excellent shape, good base down that covers almost all of the sharks in the woods. Untracked is western recycled pow quality. Groomers were soft and grip was not an issue. Crowds were light even at Bell though Tomahawk was down and Super Chief apparently has been spotty for awhile.

If you need time out of PA and can't do further north Catskills are good right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter is still in great shape too, getting snow showers most of the day, though the brisk winds from the west made any of the trails on that side of the mountain pretty unbearable today (and they closed it part of the day). Racer's Edge was a bit icy, but most other things had nice soft cover. 42nd street was bumped up but I didn't try it as I was told they were real hard.

• Like 1

West side was not enjoyable. Wind and snow was blowing too hard from that direction (you barely moved even going down steeps if you stood all the way up) and they closed it part way through the day, and lower K27 was closed all day with a sign saying it was too icy, so it wasn't the best day for the trip to Hunter by a long shot. Best runs (all protected from the wind) were Cliff, Hellgate, Minye, Upper K27, ESD, Milkyway, Cross Over, Broadway and Kennedy.

• Like 2