Tuning Equipment

skifreak

I've been waxing my own skis for the longest time now, but I was always a little skeptical when it came to sharpening them. I bought an FKS file with a guide that had several bevels. I never tried it on my good skis, fearing I would damage them but I practiced on an old pair. The only thing I noticed was I made the file dull, a few shavings of metal came off, and the edges never got sharp. Perhaps I have the wrong file and holder? Basically what I am asking is what type of tuning items should I get to sharpen the edges and should I get some kind of stone? Also will a travel ski vise work like a regular three piece vise to properly hold the ski or not?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waxing my own skis for the longest time now, but I was always a little skeptical when it came to sharpening them. I bought an FKS file with a guide that had several bevels. I never tried it on my good skis, fearing I would damage them but I practiced on an old pair. The only thing I noticed was I made the file dull, a few shavings of metal came off, and the edges never got sharp. Perhaps I have the wrong file and holder? Basically what I am asking is what type of tuning items should I get to sharpen the edges and should I get some kind of stone? Also will a travel ski vise work like a regular three piece vise to properly hold the ski or not?

30842[/snapback]

There are two surfaces that need sharpening: the base edge and the side edge. The base edge should be sharpened at the beginning of the season, then left alone. You won't have to worry about your base edge, since it'll come from the factory with a sharp 1 degree base bevel.

Your side edges will be nice and sharp, set at Atomic's factory 3 degree bevel. GS:11's were designed to work great at 3 degrees.

Now, does your FKS bevel guide allow for 3 degrees (AKA 93 degrees)? If not, you need to pick up a file guide and spring clamp like these (total of $35):

http://race-werks.com/product.php?prod_num...01500&cat_id=16

The best tip I ever had for sharpening is to use a black felt tip pen and draw a line down your edges. Then you file away the marker. That's how you know if you missed a spot and teaches you to file evenly, with good strokes.

More tips for side edge sharpening:

Always pull the file toward you.

Always set you skis in your vice with the edges AWAY from you.

It DOESN'T matter if you sharpen tip to tail or vice-versa. In fact, with the edges always away from you, you'll have to.

Your travel vice should work great, btw.

You'd asked about waxes: look for a good hydrocarbon wax; you don't need low or high fluoro. Swix makes a great line of "CH" waxes. Just buy a CH7 and a CH8 and you'll be all set for different temps.

I'm sure these answers have created more questions. Fire away....

:D

Edited by ski999

Ahh, Skifreak, you heard it from the best.  '999 is the ultimate weapon in tuning... we should archive this document so others can learn from his excellent advice.

30853[/snapback]

Ha, thanks, 'Mom. I've learned from my mistakes. Late one upcoming night, I'll try and put it step by step and try to be really clear, including using gummi stones, etc...and everyone else should chime in. I'm sure 'Dude will have some good things to add...

Girls on the lift will ask why the tops of your skis look like snake skins...you'll tell them it's Atomic's way of having air pass over the ski with least resistance---like a golf balls outer skin.

If you are a little excited about these skis, then you aren't excited enough. :)

30877[/snapback]

Ridge has 2 pairs of them snakeskins for sale at 140cm R14 - one set for race day never used (just like Bodes! :rock ) the other set for every day, skied 1 day. Both with Atomic race bindings. summer storage waxed...

Wow I like what I hear about the girls :rofl Believe me I'm so psyched to get them and am ticked I accidently paid for them with an e-check to delay the shipping.

This is funny you suggest to wax the skis so many times when I first get them. Ever since I bought skis the guy at the shop always said "they don't need to be waxed, they come with a factory wax." I know everytime they get waxed the wax seeps in deeper into the base. Now that I know I should wax them when they arrive I will make sure to do it.

World Cup racers have their techs wax new skis more than 100 times when they come with that factory wax. The factory wax is just a protective coat, like a storage wax.

It's like a new car that comes with a little bit of oil. It'll run and seem fine, but you're frying the cylinders just the same.

Ridge has 2 pairs of them snakeskins for sale at 140cm R14 - one set for race day never used (just like Bodes! :rock ) the other set  for every day, skied 1 day. Both with Atomic race bindings. summer storage waxed...

30881[/snapback]

Ridge doesn't need to be bothered with stinky, cootie infested girls anyway. Ridge needs to concentrate on making post season and showing some NY skiers what PA kids are capable of doing up in their house.

'999 saw my tuning abilities, the second last day at Camelback, when we tucked down Nile Mile, I had pulled a good 50+ feet on him by the end :)

But anyway...you pulled the trigger on the GS:11s? Congrats man! My bindings should be coming soon to complete my ultimate setup :) 3 degree side bevel = amazing. It just requires alot of maintence as the more angle, the easier it gets dull.

I loved my GS:9s, and they'll have you making arcs in no time. Can't wait to step up the big leagues with the GS:11s :)

Ridge doesn't need to be bothered with stinky, cootie infested girls anyway. Ridge needs to concentrate on making post season and showing some NY skiers what PA kids are capable of doing up in their house.

30892[/snapback]

Windham is recruiting him.. sorta ... Both boys are craving snow so bad.... steeze is asleep with his helmet on! :yes

You mean your old GS9's will have Think and I making arcs in no time, right?  :) 

The Freak jumped right into his own GS11's.

30916[/snapback]

I'm just hoping both you have SKi999 haven't led him down the wrong path. He only weighs 135lbs, has had a leg injury (6-14 DIN binding might be a little too high?), and needs something he can really bend to arc turns. But jumping right onto GS:11s with a 21m radius isn't exactly something I wanted to do, and I can arc a nice turn already. But to each his own, and like '999 said, he could almost get his money back by relisting them.

I had nothing to do with the 'Freaks choice of skis. But, I weigh less than 135 lbs and demoed the GS11 a year ago, and had fun. I've never seen the 'Freak, but would bet he's stronger than I am. Plus, if '999 thinks they'll work, they probably will.

And if not, we will share your GS9's with him. :)

When I demoed GS:11's at Okemo, they were race stock, so I can't really compare, and I don't even know if the 171's are even a 21m radius, it might be a little less (i know the 05's are 18.5m in a 171). They will definatly whip him into shape quickly, or else he'll be in the trees :lol:lol::lol:

When I demoed GS:11's at Okemo, they were race stock, so I can't really compare, and I don't even know if the 171's are even a 21m radius, it might be a little less (i know the 05's are 18.5m in a 171).  They will definatly whip him into shape quickly, or else he'll be in the trees  :lol  :lol:  :lol:

30928[/snapback]

I wouldn't have given him an okay if he was going to jump on a race course right away with them (they are indeed 21m)...but on wide-open cruisers, he'll have a blast.

Even my wife can have fun on GS:11's off the rack. Put up some offset gates, though, and she'd be frustrated.

I'm pretty sure he'll be happily rippin'.

I wouldn't have given him an okay if he was going to jump on a race course right away with them (they are indeed 21m)...but on wide-open cruisers, he'll have a blast.

Even my wife can have fun on GS:11's off the rack. Put up some offset gates, though, and she'd be frustrated.

I'm pretty sure he'll be happily rippin'.

30941[/snapback]

Yea I guess you're right. I was worried about getting the GS:11s in a 21m because at a place like MC when they actually offset the gates, I could be in for a treat...But I love the 16m GS:11! :)