Tuning Equipment

skifreak

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, for the safety of my sister I am not posting pics :lol: If he can't be trusted with my life he cannot be trusted with my sister.

No no, my sister doesn't mumble. She is a loud mouth bad a$$ who could have been found in detention when she was in middle school thru high school as well as ISS. My parents gave up punishing her after she just kept getting in trouble. She believes that rather than talking things out with people, that beating the crap out of them is the way to go. She is away at college in Salisbury University. She snowboards every once in awile and I told her to join this site but she says "it looks stupid." Sometime I will have to post my McDonalds story on here for you all to read it involves me, my sister, and McDonalds. If anyone cares let me know and I'll make an effort to post it.

Besides the only reason I mumble is because if you get loud in my school you never and I mean never will hear the end of it from all the teachers.

My sister is a loud mouth bad a$$ who could have been found in detention when she was in middle school thru high school as well as ISS. My parents gave up punishing her after she just kept getting in trouble. She believes that rather than talking things out with people, that beating the crap out of them is the way to go.

Wow, she sounds like a great match for '999. But, he better not...Mrs. '999 would frown on it.

Well, she sounds entirely misunderstood and is surely a very gifted and talented young woman. :yes

I used to live on E. College Ave. in Salisbury, just across from what was then Salisbury State College, back when I worked for the Salisbury Daily Times. Good for her that life on Delmarva hasn't made her completely insane. I don't think there are many worse places on the planet to spend a winter; two inches of snow and five inches of sleet.

Pictures? Nah... But feel free to send some to Atomic, though. He'd never copy them to me. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

these numbers sounded a little off. I always thought a 3 degree bevel would put it at 87 degrees. checked out another site, which I think explains a little more about tuning.

the abcs of tuning. with pictures.

Most tools (but not all) are marked 1 degree, 2, 3, 4, etc...so, yeah, when people say 93, it is actually 87...I have a set of file guides marked 90, 91, 92, 93. They are 'wrong' and you are correct, though.

EDIT: My one bevel set is from Sun Valley Ski Tools (one of the more popular tuning companies). They mark their guides on the inside angle, so if you want an 87 degree side edge, you'd use the 93 degree tool. Confusing, but both are correct. Maybe that's why using the single numbers is how most ski manufacturers make their recomendations, like Atomic's 1 and 3 degree...

Here's how they list their tools in the Race Place catalogue:

Edited by ski999

• 4 weeks later...

yaeh guys im sure this is scary to racers but park kids (ski and board) detune there edges so they dont catch on rails... and for the 100 times waxing that is only for pros liek trying to gain .0001 seconds... to a normal skiier waxing once or twice is fine... any more is just a waste of money

yaeh guys im sure this is scary to racers but park kids (ski and board) detune there edges so they dont catch on rails... and for the 100 times waxing that is only for pros liek trying to gain .0001 seconds... to a normal skiier waxing once or twice is fine... any more is just a waste of money

once or twice how long? A night, a month, a season?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At the beginning of a season I use a rag dampened with a bit of CLR to remove any rust or corrosion from storage. Be sure to wipe all the CLR off as it is corrosive if left on the metal. During the season I use a flat file (fine) that will span over both edges. This helps prevent uneven wear when filing. Wipe with a dampened rage before and during filing to remove filings and reduce any scratching to the base of the ski. For a finishing touch you can use a long flat wetstone, again being careful to do both edges evenly. You also need to run the wetstone along the side of the edge to remove any burrs from flat filing. If you want a more accurate sharpen than this you really need to get a professional sharpen. Some shops even use lasers to measure the height of each edge.

Edited by razmanpierre