Mounting Atomic Race Bindings

AtomicSkier

Few words to start with. I am not an authorized Atomic installer, nor do I have any real experience dealing with bindings, I just happened to be VERY familiar with Atomic bindings, as they are VERY easy to install. Just to guide anyone along that has wanted to do it, but it's pretty self explainitory, just don't blame me for anything.

Step 1

Get Atomic Race 614 bindings via UPS ($180 shipped).

box.jpg

Step 2

Open the box, inspect items.

openbox.jpg

Step 3

Layout the front/rear posts on the ski, ready for mounting.

layout.jpg

Step 4

Take the rear binding assembly (plate + post) and place it over the mounting holes (the middle ones apply to most people). Gently screw in the two screws shown so the binding band comes loose, and then remove the rear post, so you can torque down the four screws holding the rear plate in place.

rear_plate.jpg

Step 5

Rear post removed, all four screws in place.

rear_plate_finished.jpg

Step 6

Twist/press the red tab (part of VARIZONE) clockwise (even farther then show in the picture) to remove the front post from the front plate, to gain access to the mounting screws.

front_post_remove.jpg

Step 7

The front mounting plate with the three mounting screws shown. Place the plate onto the mounting holes, again, for most people, the center holes (on my skis, they have the brass inserts) will be sufficient. Screw the plate into place.

front_plate.jpg

Step 8

Both plates now secure.

both_plates_on.jpg

Step 9

Take the rear post, glide it into the track and slide it forward

slide_rear_post_on.jpg

Step 10

Keeping the red tab as far to the right as possible, slide the front binding post onto the track of the front plate, sliding the post on from the front of the ski, and sliding it back toward the rear post. When I mounted mine, I locked it into the "Speed" setting.

front_post_on.jpg

Step 11

Not shown, but place the rear binding band on TOP of the front binding band, and line up the holes that correspond to your boot size. I find the numbers hard to read, so just do a fit and check :) I used the third hole in for my 325mm sole length. Once the holes are lined up, slide the top plate from the back of the ski, into the front post, and it should fall right into place. Tighten the screw to hold the two bands together (this is the heart of the freeflex system, which allows the rear post to float freely in the track).

plate_secure.jpg

Step 12

Put your boot into your binding, fully locking it into place (if it doesnt fit, skip to the next step to loosen up the binding and then return).

boot_in.jpg

Step 13

This is the binding adjustment screw. Because the holes in the bands only adjust every 10mm (320mm, 330mm, etc) this screw provides any size inbetween (323mm, 325mm, etc). Tighten/loosen this screw until it is FLUSH with the back of the binding. When you run your finger over the screw, it should feel even with the back surface of the binding.

micro_adjust.jpg

Step 14

You're done with the installation of your Atomic Race bindings! Just take them to a shop to set the correct DIN and do a release check. Otherwise, do it yourself like me!

all_done.jpg

That's $70 less than at your local ski shop. The shipping is less than the 6% PA sales tax, too.

31308[/snapback]

Ski, when in the SPEED position, does the back part of your rear binding post stick out of the track just a little bit?

I'm thinking of moving the front post up to the front screws (as I currently have it setup on my GS:9s) therefore keeping the whole rear binding post in the track, but if yours hangs out, then I might as well keep it the way it is.

Ski, when in the SPEED position, does the back part of your rear binding post stick out of the track just a little bit?

I'm thinking of moving the front post up to the front screws (as I currently have it setup on my GS:9s) therefore keeping the whole rear binding post in the track, but if yours hangs out, then I might as well keep it the way it is.

31311[/snapback]

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1905

atomic how long did it take you to install your bindings?

31480[/snapback]

Well I had to go back and reinstallt he front posts once or twice, till I decided where I wanted them....and even now, I think I'm going to move them forward...but I'd say 20 minutes? If I knew the exact way I wanted them, I could easilly do it in 10...all it is is screw screws into predrilled holes. :)

Jeff, where are you going to take your bindings to get the release check and din setting done? Nestors isn't an authorized dealer, I called to ask for the heck of it how much it costs to do the mounting. He said they are not an authorized atomic dealer and are not sure if they can mount/check atomic bindings. He told me to check either Pelican or the Loft.

Jeff, where are you going to take your bindings to get the release check and din setting done? Nestors isn't an authorized dealer, I called to ask for the heck of it how much it costs to do the mounting. He said they are not an authorized atomic dealer and are not sure if they can mount/check atomic bindings. He told me to check either Pelican or the Loft.

31484[/snapback]

Skifreak, DIN settings/release checks are bogus. I'll mount your bindings for you, for free.