Plattekill 2/26

AirheadD8

1 hour ago, abe said:

wow is that a lift line at Plattekill

A buried set of steps going up two the second floor deck. The lodge has 3 levels gives an idea of how steep the mountain is. 
That’s what makes it a great place to ski powder. Crazy parking lot carved into the side of the mountain . 

All the Catskills was out of power that day and the word got out Plattekill was open. 
It was their busiest day in there history. 
With all the snow it was difficult to move around outside the lodge. If you stepped off the packed snow you got stuck up to your waist. People were flailing about, it was comical. Skiing stuff that deep was challenging for experienced skiers but beginners were toasted. I was halfway down a slope and saw a ski pass me slowly following a ski track and bury itself 50’ from me. I looked uphill , about 100yds up a little girl looked down and threw her arms out and fell over backwards and disappeared lol. I went over and dug her ski out and poked it in the snow tail first so she could see it. 
Never waited for a chair as everyone was spread out and skied slowly with the deep stuff. Took me 45 minutes to leave, there were cars parked 2 miles away from the lodge. They did a great job shutting people in and out. Great staff , they do an excellent job of herding cattle . The double chair is Expert terrain and the triple is intermediate.
Loading the triple is strictly monitored,stands with a stick across the entrance to prevent any strays . A second person pairs the singles line. The employees are very polite too . I rode the triple in the later afternoon and the chair only slowed once. Very well run place! 
Can’t say enough about the place! 

42FA5221-2DE2-43C8-94F3-E94CC16F0454.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

A buried set of steps going up two the second floor deck. The lodge has 3 levels gives an idea of how steep the mountain is. 
That’s what makes it a great place to ski powder. Crazy parking lot carved into the side of the mountain . 

All the Catskills was out of power that day and the word got out Plattekill was open. 
It was their busiest day in there history. 
With all the snow it was difficult to move around outside the lodge. If you stepped off the packed snow you got stuck up to your waist. People were flailing about, it was comical. Skiing stuff that deep was challenging for experienced skiers but beginners were toasted. I was halfway down a slope and saw a ski pass me slowly following a ski track and bury itself 50’ from me. I looked uphill , about 100yds up a little girl looked down and threw her arms out and fell over backwards and disappeared lol. I went over and dug her ski out and poked it in the snow tail first so she could see it. 
Never waited for a chair as everyone was spread out and skied slowly with the deep stuff. Took me 45 minutes to leave, there were cars parked 2 miles away from the lodge. They did a great job shutting people in and out. Great staff , they do an excellent job of herding cattle . The double chair is Expert terrain and the triple is intermediate.
Loading the triple is strictly monitored,stands with a stick across the entrance to prevent any strays . A second person pairs the singles line. The employees are very polite too . I rode the triple in the later afternoon and the chair only slowed once. Very well run place! 
Can’t say enough about the place! 

42FA5221-2DE2-43C8-94F3-E94CC16F0454.png

Pretty sure that is the same day I was at Bell? About 30” of snow with gusty winds. @RootDKJ showed us around. Incredible day. 

25 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Pretty sure that is the same day I was at Bell? About 30” of snow with gusty winds. @RootDKJ showed us around. Incredible day. 

Different day 

https://nyskiblog.com/winter-storm-riley-at-plattekill/

Lazlo “Owner of Plattekill “

E1270E82-7DC5-42A7-B237-38A6BA012F85.jpeg

Edited by AirheadD8

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

March 2, 2018 is when we were there. So probably same storm. 

Yes that’s the Friday it started. I guess the power went out late night. I skied Saturday morning, the storm ended early morning. Everything was untracked when I got there. I was 4th chair, never heard so many hoots and hollers.