Dominant Vs. Dominant Slick

stevePSSC

Alright well my last 3 boards have been dominants and i just bought the 06' dominant.. let me tell ya i love em.. :wub:

but what i wanna know is there really a big difference in the slick and the regular? is it harder to make sharp cuts in the snow with the slick? and does it slide easier? ive read about it here and there just wondering if anyone has any insight on the subject..

Here's what I can tell you after selling them for the past few seasons. We don't carry the slick at all anymore at nestor's. Its pretty much useless if you plan on trying to ride it anywhere other than street rails. The edge stops at the contact point on the slick which lets you enter turns but once in the middle of your turn you have no edge at all.

It doesn't slide any easier than the regular dom. The recessed edge if designed so that you don't get caught up in kinks, no metal on metal action. If you de-tune your regular dom you shouldn't have any issues anyway.

In, my opinion its a waste of a snowboard unless you are buying a brand new board for street rails, and if thats the case you're probably the perfect candidate for a burton vapor and a kick to the teeth :rocks

seriously though, don't waste your money on a slick if you are considering one in the future. Later dude

my friend got a brand new dominant for his urban board. He broke one last year so he went to loft and they gave him a new one on warranty. But last week they called him up and said his board was in on warranty. He drove up and they just gave him the board, I was so jealous.

my friend got a brand new dominant for his urban board. He broke one last year so he went to loft and they gave him a new one on warranty. But last week they called him up and said his board was in on warranty. He drove up and they just gave him the board, I was so jealous.

justin right? i remeber seeing him ride down the mountain then stop and showed me how it just like split.. i think? haha he told me hes was getting a new one cause of that.. that bum

anyway im just curious to see what the big difference was.. never thought it was a good idea and i guess i was right haha

maybe ill demo one when burton comes to cameblack this winter.. just fot shits and giggles

I rode slicks for a season and a half and they were allright, I guess. I rode the old blue/green 152s and used it for everything (jumps, pipe, pow, rails). I went through them fairly quickly (about a board every month and a half), but it was probably because I was jumping on a super-floppy board. I probably won't ride one again, but it was fun for a while.

and today he broke his old dominat the 05 and is going up to get another brand new 06 dominate for free. so he now has two brand new 06 dominates after buying the 05 last year.

DHarrisburg what are you riding now?

Last season I rode a Dominant until it broke (11 days, IIRC), then bought a Jeenyus Rental 156. All summer I rode a Academey Otterstrom 152. It got stolen, but I got another one for the season. I'm thinking about picking up a Rome Anthem or Agent. Maybe another Jeenyus.

Last season I rode a Dominant until it broke (11 days, IIRC), then bought a Jeenyus Rental 156. All summer I rode a Academey Otterstrom 152. It got stolen, but I got another one for the season. I'm thinking about picking up a Rome Anthem or Agent. Maybe another Jeenyus.

How was that academy? Im looking into getting one this year. Its the Academy Rythem

Acrhyt153_M.jpg

How was that academy? Im looking into getting one this year. Its the Academy Rythem

Acrhyt153_M.jpg

Super-fun board that you can ride pretty much everything on. I rode a 52 and it held up everywhere, including jumps, pipe, and poaching the skier race course :)

Academy makes awesome boards and I'm pretty positive that you'll be happy with the Rhythm, especially if you like boards that are a little stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

i ride both and you want to know why guys? it is because kids that ride rails with the dominant destroy there edges anyway right? in my opinion they ride the same.... you can slip on ice and it can be dangeroud but if you work your edges with the file it is the same effect anyway. i love the slick i beat it to death and at mountain is springi jib rocks haha alright thanks for reading..... i love dominants

yeah if you really want a "slick" board spend a hundred or so bucks on the forum street dweller. Atomic and nitro have rail boards with two sets of edges to allow for a bevel and less rail impact damage.

Street Dwellers retail for 150 and have no metal edges at all and are wood construction. Not worth it. The jury is still out on the recessed edge.

If you properly detune your board there's no need for a gimmick that will make it "easier" to slide rails.

• 2 weeks later...

i ride a 05 dominant 154 and i love mine. from everyone i have talked to (sales reps, other riders, store employees, ets) the slick is pointless unless you are looking to buy a board to jib with ONLY. i mean i wish i had the cash to be able to buy a board and devote it simply to hitting rails, but thats just out of the question for me. like i said though i love my regular dominant.

I'd like to help, but can you elaborate?

dude im telling u rome or burton are awsome..them academys look nice to and k2s seem nice to so get one of those...u wanna get a board about the stiffness of u had and u dont really need to wide of a board sence we dont get alot of powder up there.but ya if i still suck as skiing by febuary im goin back to boarding wit u and wreckin montage up again.