Greek Peak

Ski4Food

What trails? And, btw, I had a really hard time finding the trail map link anywhere on the main page:

http://www.greekpeak.net/content/trailmap.asp

But the page for beginners that basically has a photo essay on what to do when you've never skied/ridden is an example of what every ski area should have on their website. We did a survey (at our own ski hill) to find out why people DIDN'T ski/ride, and the #1 answer was that they just couldn't figure out how to even buy a ticket.

Woo Hoo, how far is Greek Peak from Elk? That could make a nice budget ski weekend. I know lodging is cheap that way.

It's about 100 miles up Rt. 81 from Scranton. Most of it's highway, so it's a pretty quick trip.

I do know that only 15 percent of all people that try skiing become life-time participants. As for buying a ticket, you would have to be :woot or <_< not to be able to buy a ticket.

We tried to look at it from the perspective of a typical family of four that had never skied. Do you buy a lift ticket first? Do you go to the rental department first? Do you have to rent from the ski area, or is it okay to rent from a place on the access road? And what's the deal with the chair lift? If you really think about it, there are a lot of things we take for granted.

EDIT: for ski4food: Is there an opening day price yet?

Edited by ski999

Greek Peak's website is the worst I've come across for a ski area, no trail map, condition reports, opening anouncements, WTF are they doing :confused

Am I missing something? :confused

Nice photo montage of how to buy a ticket though.....very f'in useful

Ha...well, directions might be nice to have, as well.

We've been eight or nine days, mostly early season, since they usually open before the Poconos (except maybe Pennsylvania trail at Shawnee)...

It's a much, much nicer and safer place to take kids than some places further east in NY when terrain is limited. Act like a drunken idiot and you'll get sent packing at GP.

The terrain won't kick yer butt, but it really is a cool place. And the race team kids are pretty nice kids, too. My oldest used to ski with a few of them.

Woo Hoo, how far is Greek Peak from Elk? That could make a nice budget ski weekend. I know lodging is cheap that way.

Greek Peak is about 45 minutes from the Exit for Elk.

We offer great ski and stay package prices.

$78 per person per night. Lift, Lodging and a Continental Breakfast!

The hotel is about 8 miles from the mountain in a college town, so there's always something going on!

If you would like more details, just send me a message!

What trails? And, btw, I had a really hard time finding the trail map link anywhere on the main page:

http://www.greekpeak.net/content/trailmap.asp

But the page for beginners that basically has a photo essay on what to do when you've never skied/ridden is an example of what every ski area should have on their website. We did a survey (at our own ski hill) to find out why people DIDN'T ski/ride, and the #1 answer was that they just couldn't figure out how to even buy a ticket.

The trails that will definetly be open are Elysian Fields, Stoic, and Alpha Slope, with the Progression Park hopefully by sunday. It's dumping up there so we can only hope for more!

Greek Peak's website is the worst I've come across for a ski area, no trail map, condition reports, opening anouncements, WTF are they doing :confused

Am I missing something? :confused

Nice photo montage of how to buy a ticket though.....very f'in useful

You're right, the website does suck! It's getting better I'll promise you that!

We made the decsion to sink the 10-15 grand it would cost to make a beautiful website, and sink most of it into the park, and other areas on the mountain. So while the website sucks, the real reason people ski and ride has been improved.

Greek Peak isn't flashy, we know our place in world, and we offer some great terrain, great snow, and hardly ever have crowds.

So the site sucks, but the mountain gets the job done!

I'm pretty glad that most people don't ski. Imagine how crowded the ski areas would get if there were like 20 percent more skiers. Alot of the money Blue mountain gets are from the people that only ski 1-2 days a year. They rent skis, pay full price holiday rates, buy food, buy hand warmers, and so and so. I always ride the lift with them on the really busy days and they usually complain how it's always crowded when they go skiing. It's because they choose to ski Martin Luther King weekend and Presidents weekend.

Ski Areas make their money off of those people who only come out one or two times a year. Pass holders and school programs help pay the overhead (salaries, snowmaking, equipment, etc...) And the profits are made by ticket sales. Nobody is a fan of the weekend warrior, but it's nice to have them. Think about it this way, when you goto Vermont or out west, you're no better than those people who ski at Blue one or two days a year.

I guess my point is, that even us smaller resorts can have locals or regulars and guests.

I just feel bad for those who still pay full price for lift tickets. :no

We made the decsion to sink the 10-15 grand it would cost to make a beautiful website, and sink most of it into the park, and other areas on the mountain.

Thanks for the added info...we'll be up next Monday...but, uh, for $15k you'd get a year of lap dances along with a great design.

Greek Peak isn't flashy, we know our place in world, and we offer some great terrain, great snow, and hardly ever have crowds.

So the site sucks, but the mountain gets the job done!

Thats what I love about Greek Peak, hardly ever crowded. Maybe right after lunch time the wait is a bit longer but its nothing compared to other mountains.

Im sad I won't be up there much this year. I'm gunna miss it :(

Hey Ski4Food!! Thanks for the post, glad to see you made it online. With the things that you and Kevin told us, both at BC and at The Washington Expo, Greek Peak is definitly on our list to check out. Screw the website, meeting you guys and getting the inside info was very helpful. Keep posting!!

the place looks nice, who's been there?

Ive been there. PASR has friends in the sales department! Message Ski4food if you are planning to head up :devil:

YAY for greek peak!! except I'll only be up there once or twice this year :(:(

We are leaving for CB friday night and Belleayre the following morning. We pass by your house every time we go skiing!

Greek Peak is about 45 minutes from the Exit for Elk.

We made the decsion to sink the 10-15 grand it would cost to make a beautiful website, and sink most of it into the park, and other areas on the mountain. So while the website sucks, the real reason people ski and ride has been improved.

WORD!!!! GREAT ANSWER!!

Thanks for the added info...we'll be up next Monday...but, uh, for $15k you'd get a year of lap dances along with a great design.

:yes:yes:yes:yes

Ski4food, Will there be discounted lift tickets this weekend? If so i think this is were i will be heading.

Tickets for this weekend will be $35 for adults and $30 for anyone 7-14, and if you're 6 and under... It's free.

But here's a tip, if you find a season's pass holder who will say they came with you, take them and their pass to the ticket window to recieve 25% your ticket. That will work all season. So your next step, make friends with pass holder!

Goodluck and pray for snow! :woot

also if you have a pass or squach card from BC you get 15%off

Oh man, I totally forgot to mention that deal. It's actually 25% off a daily lift ticket with a BC seasons pass or the Squach card!

So come up take advantage!

SKI4FOOD, Whats the chances of haing a mini park open on Sunday?

At this point I don't know, we're looking to have some nasty ski weather early next week, and they don't want to make a ton of snow and then just have it melt away. Check back tomorrow, and I should have a better answer for you.

How far are you from Belleayre, I'm Thinking Belleayre Saturday, then Greek sunday........

We're probably a few hours from Belleayre. We're in a totally different part of the state. If I had to guess I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours. We're going to have the beginers slope and a nice blue cruiser open, if that helps your decsion.

The snow phone is -

1-800-365-SNOW