Decent instructors? (and a binding problem)

Metz the Jersey boy

Hey guys, anyone know the instructors well at CB? I'm one of those people thats always looking for lessons even though I like to spend the last part of my day dusting anyone in a ski school jacket... I just run into the problem of finding teachers (like one I had last year at another un-named pocono ski area with a name that starts with S and ends with hawnee) that take your money for a lesson and then tell you at the of the lesson that I should just go through PSIA training to learn any more.... Please, if anyone knows a top level instructor at CB drop me the name...

Also, anyone else have a set of Marker Piston 12's mounted on anything? I've got a pair on my Volkl Karmas and I was having a problem coming out way too soon. It wasn't fun ripping down Marjie's through the bumps and then realizing that it was my ski that just flew down the hill in front of me :banghead anyways, I took a look at them and there was a definite problem with the forward pressure. Just hoping I can give someone a heads up if they're having a problem too.

Hey guys, anyone know the instructors well at CB? I'm one of those people thats always looking for lessons even though I like to spend the last part of my day dusting anyone in a ski school jacket... I just run into the problem of finding teachers (like one I had last year at another un-named pocono ski area with a name that starts with S and ends with hawnee) that take your money for a lesson and then tell you at the of the lesson that I should just go through PSIA training to learn any more.... Please, if anyone knows a top level instructor at CB drop me the name...

Also, anyone else have a set of Marker Piston 12's mounted on anything? I've got a pair on my Volkl Karmas and I was having a problem coming out way too soon. It wasn't fun ripping down Marjie's through the bumps and then realizing that it was my ski that just flew down the hill in front of me :banghead anyways, I took a look at them and there was a definite problem with the forward pressure. Just hoping I can give someone a heads up if they're having a problem too.

Just ask at the desk for ANY of the experienced instructors that give private, advanced lessons. If you just show up and don't ask specifically, then you are put in the next available group that matches your general ability. Works the same way at most areas. Consider that new ski instructors are just everyday skers/riders passing along the very basics of skiing. If you want to rent a Porche/BMW/whatever performance car, but don't tell the person at the Avis counter that you want something special, then it's def not their fault.

Just ask at the desk for ANY of the experienced instructors that give private, advanced lessons. If you just show up and don't ask specifically, then you are put in the next available group that matches your general ability. Works the same way at most areas. Consider that new ski instructors are just everyday skers/riders passing along the very basics of skiing. If you want to rent a Porche/BMW/whatever performance car, but don't tell the person at the Avis counter that you want something special, then it's def not their fault.

Thanks ski, you raise a very valid point. Don't you think, though, that advanced skiers should be able to get at least something out of a group lesson if they choose to go that route? I don't expect to get as much out of a group as a private by any means, but last year at shawnee I got thrown in a group lesson with an 8 year old girl... Nothing against 8 year old girls, but there are things that a 23 year old male can do because of increased strength and endurance (and 20 years on skis) that an 8 year old girl simply cannot do. I'm only paying 25 bucks for a lesson... but the way I see it, if I can pick up one new piece of info its worth it...

Thanks ski, you raise a very valid point. Don't you think, though, that advanced skiers should be able to get at least something out of a group lesson if they choose to go that route? I don't expect to get as much out of a group as a private by any means, but last year at shawnee I got thrown in a group lesson with an 8 year old girl... Nothing against 8 year old girls, but there are things that a 23 year old male can do because of increased strength and endurance (and 20 years on skis) that an 8 year old girl simply cannot do. I'm only paying 25 bucks for a lesson... but the way I see it, if I can pick up one new piece of info its worth it...

Timing is everything. Taking a lesson on any given Tuesday afternoon will give you a choice of instructors, while XMas week will get you squeezed into whatever slot is available. But, really, you just have to be clear about what you want. Group lessons tend to be taught toward the weakest link in the group. Nobody at the mountain would ever be pissy at you for leaving a lesson because you were put into a group that was too elementary for your skills. It may be hard to get a refund, but I'm sure they'd bump you up to a higher level lesson.

I think there's benefits from small group lessons, with a max of six people. It removes some of the pressure on the 'students', which also makes it easier on the instructor. If you're really interested in a series of lessons, PM skimom about the Adult Masters Program at CB.

I just got back from race camp at Sugarbush and the entire first day was spent videotaping runs just trying to match racers into groups for their special needs.

Timing is everything. Taking a lesson on any given Tuesday afternoon will give you a choice of instructors, while XMas week will get you squeezed into whatever slot is available. But, really, you just have to be clear about what you want. Group lessons tend to be taught toward the weakest link in the group. Nobody at the mountain would ever be pissy at you for leaving a lesson because you were put into a group that was too elementary for your skills. It may be hard to get a refund, but I'm sure they'd bump you up to a higher level lesson.

I think there's benefits from small group lessons, with a max of six people. It removes some of the pressure on the 'students', which also makes it easier on the instructor. If you're really interested in a series of lessons, PM skimom about the Adult Masters Program at CB.

I just got back from race camp at Sugarbush and the entire first day was spent videotaping runs just trying to match racers into groups for their special needs.

actually, i guess I'll be spending some quality time with skimom this winter, since i enrolled in the masters program... looks to be a fun winter. hopefully I'll catch ya out there man.

Darryl Schwietzer.. hes been there for years and is very serious about teaching.. hes a really good friend of mine.. when i worked there he helped me so much with teaching techniques and he just really knows what hes doing.. so yeah there a name for ya..

thanks for the heads up dominant...

Well im a new instructer this year but I know the current staff pretty well. Depending on what you want to learn, I may be able to help you. But for now I would go to the Ski School desk and request a private, ask for a psia certified instructer...(ask for eric) those guys are the best. Eric my ITC instructer really knows what he is talking about and can help you out alot. Well have fun lol lol

Hey guys, anyone know the instructors well at CB? , if anyone knows a top level instructor at CB drop me the name...

Also, anyone else have a set of Marker Piston 12's mounted on anything?

I know most, if not all, of their upper level ski instructors. If Mike Grimm is still there, he's terrific. Sometimes Walter teaches lessons before the race season is established. They are probably the best. Jere Shank is good too, but sometimes he's a bit esoteric. John Maszko was the best, but he headed off to Tahoe last winter and hasn't been seen since.

I have Marker 1200 bindings. Are you referring to the plate? These bindings usually go with Marker's hydraulic piston race plate. I love the system, and have had no trouble with it.

Referring the the Marker 12's, I have a pair of Marker Piston Titanium 1200s on a set of Volkl 5 Stars. I've used them in some most wicked terrain you can find and have yet to have them release when I didn't want them to. From your signature, I see you've got Superspeeds. Is that what replaced the 6 Stars this year?

Referring the the Marker 12's, I have a pair of Marker Piston Titanium 1200s on a set of Volkl 5 Stars. I've used them in some most wicked terrain you can find and have yet to have them release when I didn't want them to. From your signature, I see you've got Superspeeds. Is that what replaced the 6 Stars this year?

Yeah the Superspeeds replaced the 6 stars... someone should tell me how the superspeed's skied, im thinking about upgrading from the 5 stars.

Wow, I was gone too long and missed way too much. Just wait a second... this college aged guy is just wondering who's got a college aged sister... that teaches no less? lol...

and in response to an earlier question- the superspeeds came out last year, and they're the fastest of the supersports. They've got more of a GS radius, but are still considered all-mtn. The Allstars replaced the 6-stars this year, and they have a much tighter radius. basically-

Superspeeds- Balls out, long turns, stiff as hell, get in the back seat down the straights, let out a wicked yell for those poor people on the lift, dust some kid on rossi's, join the lift line, go up, wash, rinse, repeat.

Allstar- Probably my next set of skis, more of a non street-legal slalom ski. They've got the new extended double grip, which allows them to have a lot of longitudinal flex, with a lot of torsional stiffness. They hold ice extremely well, and i wouldn't be surprised if you saw some high school slalom racers on these puppies... They turn on a dime, and are much more of a capable all mtn ski. Not bad in bumps either...

So back to the college aged sister that can rip it up on the slopes... can I send her pictures? flowers? engagement ring maybe :naughty hehe

later kiddies

upgrade to the karmas, or atleast something with two tips

LOL, good call line... Actually, i've got the Superspeeds at 175 and a set of Karmas at 169. The sweet spot on the Karmas is HUGE. They've got a hell of a lot of pop... don't let the ski fool ya either, they can fly... just not as stable at high speeds as my superspeeds

upgrade to the karmas, or atleast something with two tips

Haha, I've got my Public Enemies for twins, but still, I don't believe ANY twin tip can come close to touching the response and feel of a well-made non-park oriented ski. Just ask Lurker. He always comments on the huge change in my skiing onces I strap on the 5-stars in exchange for the PE's.