Ridge

AtomicSkier

thinking during a race screwed me up at the mt. creek slalom, i ran over a gate then slowed down idont remember if it was a stop) thinking that i strattled it and i had to hike againn, which would make both runs i woujld have to hike, but then i realized that i already did crappy so there was no point, so i finished with no speed and a bad time b.c i was stupid and thought about the gate

Coach, I know exactly what you're saying... when I was younger I played all team sports, but now its just individual ones. Its the same way in golf. the more swing thoughts I have in my head on course, the worse I play. luckily, when i ski, practice is practice. When its time to rip, its almost automatic. All I'm going to have to do in inspection is pick the spot where I want to initiate each turn and remember that. Self coaching is tough in anything. The hardest thing is knowing when to tell the internal coach to shut up.

Bode is rich cause he skis fast... god knows he wasn't born that way. lol. If I grew up without electricity I don't know what I'd do.

Nastar at Blue mountain starts on Thursday. I need to sign up online.

Don't forget to select PASR as your club team!!!

I like the way Bode thinks, he is self determined and self motivated. Don't take the snippets you hear about him out of context. Read his book. It is written in detail and it all makes sense to me. A lot of people look cross eyed at him and that is fine. Bode doesn't fit with-in the brain wash regimine that is supposedly the only way to race. I tend to think in big pictures and then break it down to the details if needed. His story is a good one, not one that anyone could model themselves after, but it is in my opinion, enlightening and encouraging to thinking outside the box.

I like the way Bode thinks, he is self determined and self motivated. Don't take the snippets you hear about him out of context. Read his book. It is written in detail and it all makes sense to me. A lot of people look cross eyed at him and that is fine. Bode doesn't fit with-in the brain wash regimine that is supposedly the only way to race. I tend to think in big pictures and then break it down to the details if needed. His story is a good one, not one that anyone could model themselves after, but it is in my opinion, enlightening and encouraging to thinking outside the box.

IMO, most of the stuff Bode says is silly. Take away drug testing and equipment checks and all you'll have is massive cheating.

But "brain wash regimine"? I'm honestly curious if you mean the fundamentals that all young racers need to learn, or something else? If you get a chance, watch a J3 race. That's an age where kids are at a turning point, still considered "children racers", but are starting to really get it. You see a really wide range of skiing ability at that age and I bet you'll see kids steering their waists through a turn, as well as kids keeping their hips going down the fall line. Why would any coach teach a slower method of skiing?

When I teach hitting, I undo most everything a kid has learned from tv and their dads. Sure, great hitters have succeeded wagging their bat, or swinging at balls in the dirt like Vladimir Guerrero, but you increase a kid's chances if you give them the "brain wash regimine", AKA proper fundamentals, at an early age.

I thought you wrestled in high school, Rob. Four or five years ago, ESPN's "The Season" series featured the Iowa wrestling program. Did you happen to catch it? Instead of Bode Miller ghost written books, I'd prefer that as a program for kids to emulate.

I thought you wrestled in high school, Rob. Four or five years ago, ESPN's "The Season" series featured the Iowa wrestling program. Did you happen to catch it? Instead of Bode Miller ghost written books, I'd prefer that as a program for kids to emulate.

I don't watch much TV, CNN and TWC for me.. I don't have a preference as to which type of program nor do I believe any one way is the "correct way".

Ridge is awesome, especially given his experience. I've seen other pics of him with that look of concentration. WAY TO GO!!!!!

I wish I was better at quoting, but he has described some interesting things of what he is thinking after he leaves the start house. Here is a picture of him during his fastest run at Park City last year.

jkxg6h.jpg