T9 vs Flow bindings

BadassBunny

Okay, I read the thread right below about Technine offering great customer service. Super. I also read the thread where everybody was bashing Flows.

I have a few friends who ride Flows and absolutely love em. They ride a ton of park too. My 1 friend let me try his for a run, but they were too big for my feet, so the only thing I noticed was how freaking heavy they are on both the lift n just carving. He agrees they're heavy, but he said he doesn't notice the weight when he's riding. Perhaps my problem was cuz they were too big n not adjusted properly. *shrug* He had the Amp 5.

The Flows I'm considering are the Pro FS - http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/FLO0026/c7/...ing-Womens.html I'm hoping for the extra $ they're lighter? I dunno. Description says they're a freestyle binding vs an all mountain, so I'd assume they'd be lighter? I do a lot of park, so I'm apprehensive for the additional weight. However, I like the Flows for the ease of slipping in n out [i'm a snowboard instructor, so it's not just about strapping in after the lift or hiking in the park], n also cuz of the apparent even pressure that they spread across my entire foot. Even with my Burton's n the cap strap, my feet still go numb. My Ride bindings are comfy too, but I constantly have to loosen em. It's annoying n uncomfortable. Esp midrun when we're doing clinics n such n we're on 1 trail for nearly an hour.

The Technine's I'm looking at are the JV womens - http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/TCN0011/c7/...ing-Womens.html is the 'Baltimore toe strap' like the Burton cap strap? All I ever hear are that T9 makes kickass bindings.

Furthermore, I have Burton boots which are wide as fock, n have packed in since last season like no other. I'm looking into either Thirty-Two [which I hear fall apart after a season], or Salomon's F20/22s. I know from experience that boots/bindings don't always fit, which is crap. Anybody got anything to say on those boots? /\

I feel like Doug, with such a long post... I dunno, I typed a lot, not sure exactly what I'm looking to hear.

I dig my salomons alot. Super comfy and fit like a glove inside my bindings. My boots are a stiffer free ride boot, so I can't comment on the f20/22 models.

If your feet are going numb you probobly are cranking your bindings WAY too tight, or there is some other issue.

Alot of people dig on their gear because they haven't tried anything else... are you sure thats not the case with your friends riiding the flows? If you felt they were too heavy they probobly were.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

Yeah, I like my bindings to be really tight so I get quicker response. I feel more secure on my board when they're like that. I know that's the reason my feet go numb. Occurs less with the capstrap on my Burtons.. I'm wondering if it wouldn't happen at all with Flows.

Nah, my friends have had other bindings before they got Flows. 1 is on his 2nd pair now. Whenever I see somebody on any mtn with Flows I always ask em how they like em n nobody has ever said they didn't.

Boots.. yeah, I hafta try em on to really feel. I just need a really narrow boot with a tight heel area - my friend just got the F22s n said they were amazing. I'm just afraid they'd be too stiff for what I like. I gotta feel the diff between the 20s n 22s.

Yeah, I like my bindings to be really tight so I get quicker response. I feel more secure on my board when they're like that. I know that's the reason my feet go numb. Occurs less with the capstrap on my Burtons.. I'm wondering if it wouldn't happen at all with Flows.

Quicker response isn't really desireable in the park. Thats why park riders keep their highbacks all the way back and don't like things like risers. Quick exagerated movements are bad news on rails. Even for free riding, strapping down super tight isn't necessary. The security issue is a mind thing, you just have to trust that your bindings are working without feeling them through your boots. Lots of people go through this struggle (myself included), you just have to learn to loosen up a little.

^ Valid point. Never really thought about that.. esp since I'm just getting started on rails now. Was owning on the flat down in the lower park of Blue til they took it out. But yeah, always assumed tighter = quicker response.. I don't like riding when my bindings are loose.

k2madman - I used to have Northwaves. I loved em. I'd never get anything by K2 tho. Sorry.

Edited by BadassBunny

k2 has okay boots

My k2's sucked. The boots started to collapse around the ankles, the lacing loops broke, they lost their waterproofness and get drenched even after a short day of dry riding, and they never really perfomed that great to start with. They did have real comfy inner lining but that was about it. I think they were k2 symbios.

I actually tried on a Ride boot a few weeks ago, the kind that makes ur foot 1/2 size smaller. They were really narrow n did a great job holding my ankle down, but they didn't freakin fit into my Burton bindings!! They were TOO narrow. n while I do have a pair of Ride bindings [that I'm lookin to replace a la this thread], I want boots that fit into all of my bindings.

My k2's sucked. The boots started to collapse around the ankles, the lacing loops broke, they lost their waterproofness and get drenched even after a short day of dry riding, and they never really perfomed that great to start with. They did have real comfy inner lining but that was about it. I think they were k2 symbios.

yea mine weren't supportive and weren't too comfortable

the were water proof tho

i had the k2 aramdas

right now i have last years salomon kamooks

they don't make them any more but i go them for cheaper b/c they were last years model but brand new.

the guy who got the boots from the baxck of the store was like

a pair of kamooks for kooks

really funny guy

yea mine weren't supportive and weren't too comfortable

the were water proof tho

Mine were water proof till a 12 hour day at blue. They got waterlogged and haven't held up against any moisture since. It's not like I can scotch guard it either, the liners just sponge up water now.

I've put plenty of very wet long days on my salomons and haven't had any of the same problems...

i dont snowboard, so take this as you will, but... i was trying on snowboard boots in the shop the other night, and the salomon f boots have a super narrow heel pocket, which will definately hold your ankle in place. i didnt find them to be too stiff compared to other boots i tried on, but i probably weigh more than you, too. i've seen bad things happen to people riding flows. just the other day at blue, someone sketched out on their landing off the 40 footer and slid backwards and popped the highback release on the flows and his foot actually came out of the binding. it could have been really gnarly if he had gotten the board twisted around in a different direction with only one foot attached. the baltimore strap is essentially the same concept as the burton cap strap too.

hrmm.. okay..

I'm getting the Salomon boots ordered for me, both pairs, in 2 diff sizes. I'm not required to buy em, but I do get a sick discount. Narrow heel is good, except when I tried on the Rides with the narrow heel/foot they were TOO narrow for my Burton Lexa bindings - too small for the heel cup. Bad. They're being ordered tom am, so I guess I'll be able to try em in a week. In the meanwhile, I'll prob go back to either Amatuer Athlete or Army Navy n try on the 32s.

As for bindings..

I'll never get Ride bindings again. I'm currently riding on the VxNs. Anybody wanna buy em off me for like uhh $50? Ha. Anyways, I actually have a set of Flow Amp5s on my board right now. They're the guys, but they actually fit my feet. They're def heavy, but I don't notice it while I'm riding or hitting jumps. Only on the lift, n skating, n when I try to jump n ollie around, heh. The freestyle bindings that I'm actually interested in should be lighter. They're being ordered for me as well, n again, I'm not required to buy. I do stoopid shit all the time.. so I really hope they wouldn't open in the back. I never thought of that. I'll ask my friend who rides Flows tomorrow if that's ever happened to him... =/

The T9 JVs are sick. Not totally diggin the LV design, but whatever. My pants are pretty long n cover my bindings anyway. I found em on ebay, auction ends in 2 days, n they're only at $40 right now. I'll try n bid at the end so long as they stay around $100-125.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

Bunny-

One word of advice that no one mentioned- Go see a certified custom boot fitter for packing, heating, forming, shaving, etc.

I bought a pair of Northwave vintages last year, and with the help of Ray Bush up at Pelican Ski Shop in Morris Plains, NJ they were custom fit to my feet. The result- I wear a snowboard boot that is 1.5 sizes smaller than my street shoes (and a ski boot that is a full 2), but fit much, much better. No loss in circulation, so no numbing, and no complaints. Custom Footbeds are a must.

This year I've got Sally F24s and I need a good binding replacement... I'll actually be going with the flows.

Next up, board replacement. Currently on a Never Summer Premier... its an awesome board... any suggestions?

WELL. I ended up winning the T9 JVs [after shipping n insurance] for $98! I'm pretty stoked, can't wait for em to come. I'm gonna take em out for a day, n if I like em, I'll keep them, n if I don't I'll resell them, prob make a small profit, n get the Nitro Raidens - which are siiiick bindings.

Metz - I ordered the Salomons in 2 diff sizes in both the F20 n F22. Hopefully, they'll be in tomorrow. I'm not sure if they have custom foot beds tho? I'll def look into that. I'll be happy so long as they don't pack out insane amounts n they keep my heel down.

Board recommendations? If u don't wanna stay on a NS, go with Nitro - either the T1 or the T2 - without a doubt.

As for the Flows - after riding on em for a nite n 1 run the next day, I decided I hated them. In fact, after the 1 run the next day I was desperate to get em off my board. They're huge n bulky n heavy n raised up real high n they suck. That's MY opinion. A guy from another website gave a pretty good/informative review on Flows [copy n pasted]:

I've been riding Flow for 5 years and am a fan, and have reccomended them to many friends. But everything has positives and negatives. Here is a quick list of my thoughts...

Positives:

1. VERY solid straped down to the board feeling while riding. When adjusted correctly, these bindings make you feel like you are attached to the board with out the weird glued to board feeling of clickers and the like or pressure points from standard straps.

2. Once you get used to them you can enter & exit the binding while moving nearly as easily as with any other 'step in'

3. Unlike many other step in bindings, Flow doesn't get clogged up with powder/ice to the point that you cant lock in. I'll admit once in while there is some build up on the bottom of the binding, but I can always get my foot locked in to get out of wherever I am to a place where I can clean it out better. This is great if you get stuck in backcountry flat spot in deep snow and need to hike a few feet to get over a rise.

4. I can't remember the last time I sat down to lock in.

5. The thickness of the base of the binding prevents toe drag.

Now the Negatives:

1. These bindings are heavy. If you care about weight (I don't really, within limits) they are not for you.

2. You really need to have these bindings adjusted by a trained salesman/tech who really knows the bindings. I had a bunch of minor discomfort problems, and had the bindings adjusted by a Tech at a mountain shop for me...no problems since. There are a few adjustments available on the binding that aren't obvious, like the front/toe straps can be moved, the adjsutment is hidden by a piece of decorative plasitc.

3. The base of the binding is very thick, if you like that baseless feel, you wont like these.

But all in all I do reccomend FLOW.

josh

ill buy the VxNs off you if you were serious

Yeah, once my new bindings come they're all urs if u want em - $50.

why would you recommend T1 or T2 to someone that was on a NS premier? Let me guess, all your blue mtn buddies got them on form and now they are the coolest?

Metz, are you looking for another freeride board, or something different?

Bunny- you can really avoid pack-out problems by getting a smaller boot and then having a bootfitter pack them for you with pressure guns. Its the best way to get a boot that will fit well for a long time. Custom footbeds will run about 100 bucks for any pair of boots, but they cure so many problems with circulation and fit.

Rome- Thanks for the curiosity, I am indeed looking for something more geared towards eastern freeriding, but I'd like to have something that I can eventually take a couple hits with once I get better on the board. I've been skiing for 20 years, and riding for 3, but I only really get 10 days a year in on my board.

At my local shop they showed me the new Premier and a Rome board, but any suggestions are extremely welcome. I like the flow system, and unlike a lot of boarders I like I heavier setup, as its more stable at speed for carving, and after being on one of the pairs of skis that I own just about any board feels like a sheet of plastic to me. I'm looking in the 158 to 163 range as far as length... I'm 5'9" about 200 pounds, give or take a couple pounds depending on how many fried oreos and pierogies I eat in the lodge...