learning how to do the park

beachiegirl2ski

i have a 9 year who wants to go into the park section. problem is he is scarded to do the jumps and grind the stuff. how does he learn how to do the stuff? hes a great skier very good control. and just started snowboarding lessons. why dont some of you guys who are always complaning take the time to talk to the little kids and explain to them how and what to do in the park. i know my son would listen better coming from someone other then his mom that he just cant ski through and look.

Edited by beachiegirl2ski

i have a 9 year who wants to go into the park section. problem is he is scarded to do the jumps and grind the stuff. how does he learn how to do the stuff? hes a great skier very good control. and just started snowboarding lessons. why dont some of you guys who are always complaning take the time to talk to the little kids and explain to them how and what to do in the park. i know my son would listen better coming from someone other then his mom that he just cant ski through and look.

some mountains have programs that teach kids how to ski/board in the park. it would be great for him to get into something like that and learn from the people who are certified. if you dont have the money for that.. the best way to learn is by watching and trying. watching other people is a great way to learn. i watch ski movies every day durring ski season and by looking at what other people to and how they do it, i learn the right way and it helps me improve. when it comes to actually trying the features, the best thing you could do is commit to it. if you are going to hit a jump, dont go up to it and bail off the side. you will never learn that way. go at it and hit it. if you fall get up and do it again. when it comes to rails, just try to 50/50 it instead of something technical like a boardslide. most people in the park do 50/50s anyway, its a great way to ge the feel of a rail for beginners. and instead of hitting a rail, go for a bow. something simple. while you are waiting to hit the features you can ask the people around, who are also waiting, waht the best way to approach it would be. if you ask, dont get discouraged if somebody gives you lip, those are the people that probably dont know what they are doing anyway because i know i would rather help somebody learn instead of have them cut me off... most people in the park are nice though. remember to call out when you are going to hit something,wait until the landing in clear, and don't try anything that is way out of your league.

and if you are looking for a program... Blue Mountain has a freeride program for skiers and one for boarders. im not sure what other mountains have them so ask around.

Bear Creek is working on building a beginner's terrain park which will be available as soon as Mother Nature allows us to make some more snow. The features in this park will be smaller and less intimidating- and will be a great way for your son to learn. We currently do have a beginner box at our Ski School, and your son is welcome to use this at any time (with or without a lesson).

The ski school has been working on training some of the instructors on how to teach terrain park skills. I would suggest signing him up for a private lesson once the beginner park is up and running. Make sure to specifically say that he wants to work on terrain park skiing when you sign him up. But also know that in order for him to learn in the park he needs to have a good stance and good balance so the first lesson may focus mainly on balance and stance, with some park. While subsequent lessons could focus more on park skiing. All this depends on where he is now in his skiing.

Edited by dwnhlldav

I agree with the responses of getting a private lesson and specifically ask for terrain park training. I'm in the same position. Both my kids are terrific skiers and they have discovered the parks. I have a 9 year old and 11 year old.

I think the trend is for the resorts to start offering group classes in the parks and incorporate that as part of the lesson program. We ski a couple of times a year at Smuggler's Notch and all the intermediate/expert kids' ski classes go into the parks. That's where my kids learned to do the pipe and smaller jumps.

And yes, it would be a big benefit for all the resorts to have a beginner park for the kids. Heck, I'd even try a beginner park.

Im the only ski instructor at JFBB that teaches terrain park. I had about 3 people so far coming and asking for park lessons and im the one they get. If you go to jfbb get a private lesson with me Andrew and tell them u wanna learn park. Ill be more than happy to help out. I work 8-4 on sat and sunday

Blue Mountains freeride ski program is $75 dollars for a day of instruction. It goes from 9am till 1pm, and we often go a little longer. Considering a regular private ski lesson costs $75 for an hour, I think its a pretty good deal. If you have any questions about Blue's freeride program, ask me or Skier150, as he is the director. And as Gurp said, if you have any questions about Bears options, ask him. Good luck man.

Bear Creek - The most progressive mountain in our region. You have a contact listed above in this thread that can get your budding park rat :D pointed the right direction. Parks are their specialty!!!!

I will vouch for the Freeride program at Blue.. The guys who run the program are dedicated and enthusiastic for teaching kids "park". I watched them on Saturday with my own son, they are hands on and very supportive with teaching the beginners progression, along with park etiquette.

JF - has a program and I know GURP well. Great guy who knows the park and is a great communicator, freindly and personable with skiing skills. Head of the PASR Freestyle team :) You can't go wrong with him.

Shawnee is also building a beginner park separate of the main park - when weather conditions permit, you could try them out, check out the Shawnee forum for contact info directly to a park manager for more info.

Place to stay away from - Camelback - I am not aware of any park programs and if there were, I feel that it is NOT a place for a beginner who wants to learn "park".

EDIT: oops, this is in the Bear Creek forum - sorry..

Edited by Papasteeze

if u really wanna learn to ride park, and dont wanna spend a hell of alot of money, Ill donate a few hours of my time for free. Its not worth it to spend 70$ per hour to learn to ride the park since it take alot more than an hour to get a good feel for it. just come up to jfbb and hit me up when im not working and ill help out. Good to get more freestyle skiers out there. Help progress the sport.

ps. thanks papasteeze, i didnt know u cared :P

Edited by Gurp

My fault for saying Gurp worked at Bear, misread on my part. Sorry Gurp! Yeah, we spend alot of time coaching "for free." Most of the kids that are in the program, and some of their friends, often come out and ride with the older skiers who have been skiing park for a while during weeknights and weekend afternoons. We met these kids through the program, and now they are progressing and their friends are seeing it and wanting to be a part of it. There is no way we would only help younger guys and girls out based on whether or not they are paying us.

Thanks guys you have been a big help!

One problem is we go up and ski during the week Wed and Thurs. but i will look into getting him a lesson for the park. and hopefully the weather will turn cold so that bear can get the smaller park up.

now my son has had a lesson in snowboarding and wants to do that now. he needs to make up his mind on..lol

Place to stay away from - Camelback - I am not aware of any park programs and if there were, I feel that it is NOT a place for a beginner who wants to learn "park".

You can request "park" lessons, but there is a huge hassle with additional release forms and I'm fairly certain they aren't "allowed" to anything besides the halfpipe... but they do anyways. Agreed though, best to stay away from CB with beginners, or for that matter anyone interested in the park.

i believe the program that Blue has is $75 for about 4 hours of training. i know they people that work the program and i'm usually with them when they are doing their lessons just to help out if they need it. it would be great if you could get him to do that for a day and i think it would be very beneficial for him. some of the parents of the kids pal around sometimes just to see what their kids have learned. if you are interested send a message to freeridintre or skier150... they teach.

Dear beachiegirl2ski,

I'm a ski instructor at Bear that would like to help u out. There r some great options u have to consider. A) Drive 30 to 45 minutes on top of a long trip (to and from) to save money on a Park lesson but really that saved money goes to ur gas price. B ) Get a lesson from Bear were there are many instructors that can an will teach ur son. C) Ask someone in the park to teach ur son. Such as one of the Park Crew (Tyler Boyer) he recently told in an interview, "Everyone is going to have the opportunity to improve. Don't be afraid to ask for pointers, I for one would love to hang out and teach the younger guys some new stuff. Being friendly and courteous is how all park users will be on the same page--giving the park crew a better idea of what you guys want to see in the park." Now that u have some facts u could make a good decision. If u want a lesson at Bear i would go on Fri. thru Sun. that is when many of the able body park instructors work. My name is Austin and would be more than will to teach him on (Papasteeze) "The most progressive mountain in our region." !!

:downhill:

I'm not trying to mountain bash or say what age group is better at skiing than others just help someone in the right direction.

Wow look at all the different options people have who are beginners or want to improve in the park. I wish I coulda had this many when I was a beginner! Its been a long time coming, but mountains in our area seem to finally have answered the call of many freeriders. Better parks, better instruction... I can't wait to see what comes next?!?

Such as one of the Park Crew (Tyler Boyer) he recently told in an interview.....................

BOYER!!!!!!!

Wow look at all the different options people have who are beginners or want to improve in the park.

:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes

soon kids are going to be doing 80 foot airs out of stunt tacos.

Who said that? ;)

Edited by Papasteeze

I am not nearly good as boyer but I am always willing to help someone out free of charge. I work up in the tune shop. Ask for Bob. I can help with the basics of rails,pipe,park etc.....always willing to lend a hand to someone else....don;t be afraid to ask