Mad River

sexkitten

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard, be prepared for slow chairs and some of the most challenging skiing in the east. I've never been there, but I too have read some very intriguing articles and reviews of the place. - VY

Edited by volklyokel

I've skied at Mad River a hand-full of times. I went to college 50 minutes from Mad River Glen but never had a season pass there. There is a single chair which is 2k verts and a double which is maybe 1500 and there are lots of interesting twisting runs and also alot of good tree skiing. They also don't allow snowboarders which makes the bumps great. They only blow snow on the practice slope/ basebox so if it's a lean winter, they hurt. I've seen Mad River Glen stickers in Amsterdam, Jackson Hole, and Montana...definitely a placer every skier should check out. The old lifty used to yell go go go but he committed suicide. I haven't skied there since 2002.

I am up at MRG right now. We skied MRG today and it was typical MRG conditions. There were fresh tracks to be made and there were spots were it was "dust on crust". But MRG, is one of the purest skiing experiences you will ever have.

We are staying at the Mad River Barn which is owned by Betsy Pratt, the former owner of the resort. Infact she is standing about 15 feet from me right now.

The article said you have to be mad to ski there. From the pictures I kinda agree. It has been said that I am a little imbalanced, so may MRG is just the place for me. I wrote down the lodging you mentioned and will keep it for when we go. I should say "if" we go. Convincing Bob to ski with the crazies might be hard.

the reason they dont let snowboarders at MRG is cause of the single chair lifts the state of vermont has some law that says that snowboarders cant use them for some saftey reason.

Mad River Glen was one of the 1st ski areas to allow snowboards. The probelm is a 1949 diesel powered single chair that has no off load ramp. Snowboarders would derail the lift when unloading and the VT board of transportation banned snowboards from the single. Some snowboarders had words with the owner and she banned them completely.

The coop that now owns the Mt. has no plans to lift the ban for as many reasons as there are shareholders who have voted to maintain the ban. You can still board the Mt if you hike it and ride it when the lifts are closed.

Here are my reasons for voting to continue the ban:

#1. Terrain that has been boarded developes much different bumps than terrain that is only skied. Check out the glades at Jay Peak. The line are much different than the woods at MRG.

#2. No snow making on 95% of the Mt. Cover is thin enough. A beginning snowboarder can get down anything and scrap it bare. A beginning skier wouldn't dream of attempting any of MRG's black diamond trails. Most are never groomed and those that are may see a groomer twice a year.

#3. It would change the character of the place.

#4. The place is crowded enough with out boarders. 1/2 hour lift lines on holidays are long enough. There is no need to alienate current customers who come there because of the character of the place and part of that character is no snowboards. It's a bussiness and feels it will do better and serve it's customers without allowing snowboards.

#5. Every other ski area in the East allows snowboards. It's not like they lack a place to go.

that is from another forum about MRG

Edited by brokeskiier

dont try to change the subject. mad river is a festering cesspool.

LOL, that sounds like my comments about Blue Mountain.

MRG is an awesome place to ski (not snowboard, obviously). I have skied MRG in bad conditions and epic conditions (2' of fresh and (about) the 10th skier down Paradise) and both ends of the spectum were great. MRG has one of the few honest snow reports on their web site where i have read "Skiing is not good today, don't come up, it is a good day to run errands". Uphill capacity is low because they don't want crowed trail, something I have chastised Elk for but commend MRG for. You have to ski MRG to understand it.

how would you know? they are haters on us shredders!

I found this out about Mad River a little while ago...Its not that they hate on boarders, but when you get off their single chair (main one) there is an uphill or something, and boarders get suck...or something along those lines.

If you show up to MRG with a board, they will give you a pair of rental DH or tele skis...

Kinda like the "colored" dining room during the early part of the century. No thanks.

No, you can't ride there cause your board will screw up the lift. As soon as you get off, you have to get up a hill, which you can't do on a board.

If they replaced the lift they would probably let boarders in (but then again, it wouldn't be MRG without the single).

You can show up at Alta, and they will say sucks to be you, or you can show up at MRG and they will hook you up so atleast you can have fun....

No boarders is MRG's choice. If you want to them to allow boarders hurt their bottom line by never skiing there. When their numbers are affected they'll change the rule. It's kinda like the smoking thing. If you don't like it don't go where it is. BTW, my personal opinion is that boarders should be allowed anywhere and so should smokers, but I don't think I have the right to force a business to bend to my will just because I want them to.

Edited by sexkitten