Snowguns

skifreak

If anyone wants any snowguns to make snow at home with just let me know anytime. You need an air compressor which produces at least 4cfm and access to water and cold temps to operate the snowgun.

my cousin built one, and it pumps out pretty much snow. makesure you don't have an oil less compressor, or else your asking for trouble :P

The Backyard Blizzard company was charging $3000 for a basic unit until people started to figure out the technology and how to put them together with stuff from their local hardware store.

Show us some pics of what you've done.

The Backyard Blizzard company was charging $3000 for a basic unit until people started to figure out the technology and how to put them together with stuff from their local hardware store.

Show us some pics of what you've done.

3000...They were 1,995 like a year or 2 ago...Cheap fools.

Snowguns are fairly simple to build I wanted to build one but I don't have access to a air compresser and they're too expencive for me to buy. If any one is interested I had an idea to use those misters that they use at amusement parks and mini-golf courses and a fan to make an airless gun. I don't know if it will work and haven't found the parts to build it.

Edited by pyro_boarder

Sorry folks I'd love to post a pics but my sister broke the camera so I will try to post them sometime. As for the backyard blizzard you can build that and I can tell you it is not worth the price they are charging. Also if anyone is intrested in making one themselves (mine our my own designs not from a website) you could go to www.snowathome.com or you can join the snowgun mb at www.snowguns.com Both have various designs you can build.

Edited by skifreak

Snowguns are fairly simple to build I wanted to build one but I don't have access to a air compresser and they're too expencive for me to buy.  If any one is interested I had an idea to use those misters that they use at amusement parks and mini-golf courses and a fan to make an airless gun. I don't know if it will work and haven't found the parts to build it.

I always wanted to build a fangun but I don't have a big enough compressor. If you are looking for a compressor that wont break the bank check out www.eatoncompressor.com and they have a portable air copmpressor for $99 that works well and its an oil lubed compressor.

• 1 month later...
How much do they cost? and also, do I need a pressure washer? Let me know

Sorry bro, I don't have any more parts that I can make them now. I should have parts in this fall but if you are interested I can give you a link to free plans for snowguns that you don't need a pressure washer for.

Check out this website http://www.ceremuga.com/projects.html and choose from a variety of snowgun plans that the site has to offer. You can also join the fourms over at www.snowguns.com and learn about everything related to snowmaking. Last but not least check out www.snowathome.com they even sell a snowgun already build or in kit form. Keep in mind that you will need an air compressor with at least 4cfm@90 psi. For most snowguns you don't need a pressure washer but if one is required the plans should tell you what type is needed.

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I saw a compressor in walmart that was 4.3/3.3cfm@40/90psi for under $100.  Would that work?  (I just rembered that i forgot to check if it was oiled and i can't find it on their web site.)

Well I wouldn't reccomend that compressor but for the same price +shipping you can get one that I know would work here is a link http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/ite...3537/450646.htm a lot of members over at snowguns.com have this compressor and claim they have put long hours on it and it still runs like knew.

Edited by skifreak

Question, Can I just use a regular outdoor hose, or will I crack the pipes and freeze everything and booger it up?  I'd imaging I'd haveto let the hose thaw inside, but can I run water outside in frigid temps.?

You can use a regular outdoor hose but I wouldn't reccomend hooking it up to a spiket outside. I hook up my water line in my garage because we have a water spiket there and the garage is heated. My dad had told me not to use the outside spiket because it may burst the pipes. If you do get a freeze up in either your air or water line DON'T apply extreme heat from like a propane tourch or you may cause the hose to burst and believe me it isn't a pretty sight because it happened to my uncle at blue when he was making snow and now he has a scar on his face and he also lost his eyebrows that night. Instead just allow the hose to thaw out thats all you can do or fill a bathtub with warm water and but the hose in and allow it to thraw.

Question, Can I just use a regular outdoor hose, or will I crack the pipes and freeze everything and booger it up?  I'd imaging I'd haveto let the hose thaw inside, but can I run water outside in frigid temps.?

You can use a regular outdoor hose but I wouldn't reccomend hooking it up to a spiket outside. I hook up my water line in my garage because we have a water spiket there and the garage is heated. My dad had told me not to use the outside spiket because it may burst the pipes. If you do get a freeze up in either your air or water line DON'T apply extreme heat from like a propane tourch or you may cause the hose to burst and believe me it isn't a pretty sight because it happened to my uncle at blue when he was making snow and now he has a scar on his face and he also lost his eyebrows that night. Instead just allow the hose to thaw out thats all you can do or fill a bathtub with warm water and but the hose in and allow it to thraw.

Is there anything inside I could hook it up to? Like a faucet or something? I dont think we have any indoor spikets. :angry:

Perhaps if you could find a hose to fit your faucet but I don't know I never had this problem...you could go to a pool store like a namco and buy a pool water pump. You could relay water into a bucket and plug in the pump you attach a garden hose to the pump and pump the water into the gun but I have never tried this. This summer I made a pond in our treeline to run my homemade pump and it should pump out close to 4 gpm of water.

Edited by skifreak