Grass Skis?

skifreak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey 999:

My biggest problem on roller blades is stopping, so a faster variant isn't appealing. What's the real advantage of those rollerblades over standard ones?  Do the high wheels parallel the concept of a race plate?

The six inch wheels give you the ability to to take them on dirt and grass slopes. From what I read, they are a pain to use on the 'street', or even cross country. They are designed for downhill. They have a braking system, although some people complained that it locked up and sent them crashing, so they removed it.

Users complained that they had to get used to the feeling of being up so high. Would this mimick the leverage from a riser plate? Well, it would make sense. But you'd have to use them to know for sure.

Most skiers would cringe at how fast you go, Skimom, so speed is relative.

Ski999:

I'm just starting to experiment with rollerblades. Where is the braking system on the blades you showed? The standard roller blade (back eraser) brake is pathetic. Is it the same braking mechanism? I can't stop rollerblades except by stepping out to the side with one foot. Carving can limit acceleration on minor inclines but isn't feasible when you are already going too fast. Does anyone know how to stop rollerblades when they are running away with you? :o

Just fall when you wanna stop, that how all the new skiiers do it at CB. I'v found that if you arn't going that fast you can sorta do a pizza(wedge)stop, just like skis. But when ever i'm going fast and downhill i just make sure i have a flat enough runout to stop myslef

Ski999:

I'm just starting to experiment with rollerblades.  Where is the braking system on the blades you showed? The standard roller blade (back eraser) brake is pathetic.  Is it the same braking mechanism?  I can't stop rollerblades except by stepping out to the side with one foot.  Carving can limit acceleration on minor inclines but isn't feasible when you are already going too fast.  Does anyone know how to stop rollerblades when they are running away with you?  :o

Here's the URL for the reviews I read:

http://www.xtreme-xperience.com/Main/CustReviews.html

Good info from actual users...

This may be a variation on what you already do. Rather than stepping to the side, balance on one foot while dragging the other foot perpendicular behind you. Not the easiest thing to do if you are already freaked out going fast. Best getting used to it going slower first. I took that damned brake off my very first pair of roller blades years ago. Way too much in the way. I was too used to hockey skates to ever adapt to something sticking out the back of a skate.

ok this is advice coming from a seasoned hockey player with and previous aggresive inline skater. i have come to know that the "t" stop is good when going slower, but lets be honest, that is a fairly hard position to hold while going very fast. and dont rely on it when u need to stop suddenly. thanx to my inline hockey years i learned a variation of the hockey stop that we do on the ice for inlines. you basicly turn and lean all ur weight on ur trailing leg. let ur leading leg swing hard in front of you and keep a little presure on it. it is a very quick and abrupt stop. the front leg extended keeps u from catching and flying head first. the whole principall behind it is to just abruptly take ur momentum forward and thrust it to one side which is then absorbed by ur body causeing u t stop. it works on all surfaces and is very reliable. it also is the least dangerous once u get the hang of it. cause lets be honest. if u "t" stop and ur front foot hits a small crack or rock....ur one hurtin dude or dudette.

Jib:

I agree with your assessment of the "T". It worked for dragging off speed, when going at slow speeds. Can you break your high speed technique down for me?

"you basicly turn and lean all ur weight on ur trailing leg. "

Like if turning to the left (counterclockwise) weight the right (outside or downhill) leg?

let ur leading leg swing hard in front of you and keep a little presure on it. it is a very quick and abrupt stop.

the front leg extended keeps u from catching and flying head first. the whole principall behind it is to just abruptly take ur momentum forward and thrust it to one side which is then absorbed by ur body causeing u t stop

Is this a "hockey stop"?

It sounds to me like he's essentially doing an ice skating hockey stop, but making the stance wider and having his front foot out in front of him farther.

Since I'm no extreme skater and never wear any type of protection, I think if I ever got going fast enough to need this abrupt a stop, I'm traveling too fast.

Upon reading your post again a bit more closely, skimom, I think you are interpreting his instructions backwards. If you are flying downhill on rollerblades, I don't think you want to try throwing all your weight on your downhill skate as you abruptly turn or you'll do a world-class end-over-end flip. I think he's referring to using the downhill leg as a pendulum to somewhat help get your body across the fall line abruptly. The majority of your weight will be on your uphill (back, probably dominant) leg.

you got it. keep you weight on the uphill/back leg. there isnt a ton of friction involoved with this type of stop, it is mainly just the sudden trasnfer of momentum. i really wish i could explain it better, but it is just too hard without being able to visually show you. and it can be done at high speeds, you just have to be more prepared to absorb the momentum, and have good balance in the extreme case that you may still keep going in the forward direction.

OH! and yes, it is VERY similar to the hockey stop on ice, just with the wider stance and no friction to help.

sorry for takeing so long to reply, i just got back from a week at the beach. later!

Well, you don't slide as far...

I ski every day that it doesn't rain or that we aren't at the shore and I've only crashed twice; one bad, one not so bad. Both created enormous grass stains that will never wash out.

Getting hurt or not depends a lot on what you fall on. It's pretty much the same as running full speed down a grassy slope and tripping. You don't get twisting knee injuries because the skis are only 90cm. Your muscles are also pretty warm and loose by the time you start skiing, since you've jusy hiked your ass off uphill.

OH! and yes, it is VERY similar to the hockey stop on ice, just with the wider stance and no friction to help.

Jib:

We may need to see you demonstrate this on video.

On the plus side, the iceman rotated my wheels last weekend. Now the blades don't wobble at high speeds so it isn't as scarey, and I don't feel as much of a need to slow down. Who would have thought roller blade wheels needed to be rotated?

Jib:

We may need to see you demonstrate this on video.

On the plus side, the iceman rotated my wheels last weekend. Now the blades don't wobble at high speeds so it isn't as scarey, and I don't feel as much of a need to slow down. Who would have thought roller blade wheels needed to be rotated?

I guess you do know that you have to keep an eye (or more precisely your ear) on your bearings, too. If a bearing starts to make noise, replace it. Very nasty to have one of those seize up on you. That's one of those things I learned the hard way, but that was years ago when nobody knew much about those newfangled rollerblades. Don't you discuss these things with the other mom's you play with? ;):D

:D :D

I hardly ever use my roller blades... except to practice with duct-tape and cardboard skis taped onto them. I jumped a 6-set with my super-dope rollerskis and then I tried to do the handrail going down them. Not a good idea.

...My skis were ruined.

• 8 months later...

Yeah ERS I remember him he was post who** if you ask me. I think he either died or got arrest or something because he was ALWAYS on, now I can't even get him on AIM. lol, I remember ERS edited almost every single post he had.

I bought 2 paires of rollerblades, 10 and 11 US pointure, or 44 and 45. I will receive in few weeks, if anayone are interrested. I also have this

url=http://www.image-dream.com/image.php?image=1112634351.img_0167.jpg][/url]

I sell them 200$ canadian dollars.

tks

sergio

1093973822-spam.gif

Misc-Spam.jpg

Spam-Sign.jpg

Edited by skidude