Grass Skis?

skifreak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short regular skis would work better than plastic skis, although you'd want to use beaters, for sure. I've skied really steep muddy hills and those big piles of stones at quarries on 160cm skis, and as long as you can do jump turns, anything is skiable.

If you have wheels or treads, then you'll make carved turns. With anything else, such as regular or plastic skis, you skid.

As to stone quarries, the one on Rt. 29, just south of Lambertville, NJ, put up signs and extra barbed wire to keep us out. A stone pile is awesome, sort of like a super-steep headwall, with slough that races past you. Get it just right and you can finish out the run with a mini-avalanche.

One piece of advice...Duct tape covered steaks.

You cover them so the dogs can still smell em, so they try and chew them, but they can't rip the duct tape off, so they are chewing them all day, while you are making your turns.

was?

Haven't been down there in a long time. I used to work down the road from it in Bridgewater and used to look at it every day, wondering what it would be like to ski. The piles of rock would look like snow-capped peaks when there was a one or two inch snowfall. If I can get my MyTV vid cap unit working, I'll grab some vid caps...

One of my friends caught an edge on his first turn and did the entire hill face first in the stones. The lesson learned was to not mix alcohol and rock quarry skiing. My only inquiry was on the barbed wire getting to the Lambertville quarry.

I've thought about trying the Coyote Rollerblades, which I believe are discontinued but can still be found on Skidudebay:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/rollerblade-co...otextsearchedZ2

I was reading a forum devoted to them and it was pretty interesting. The only gripes were that they were hard get uphill; they are heavier than regular inlines; they don't work in sand or mud; and, they are taller than regular skates. Yeah, no shit.

The positive comments were that they went REALLY fast downhill. They retailed for $350 and up, but I've seen pretty new ones go for under $100.

wow....interesting...i still can't imagine the glidability of those, they don't look like they move so well

It really is like skiing on spring snow when the temps are around 60 degrees. Grass skis don't skid at all, so you are forced to carve, which is why some people claim they are a good training tool. And since you don't skid, you also don't stop them, other than to turn back up the hill. There's no skate stop, or T stop.

As far as gliding, when you come over a fairly steep headwall, you do get that "swooping" speed feeling. And you do ride them on their edges, which is something I'm just getting used to.

Five minutes of hiking for every 30 seconds of skiing is a little tough, though.

Hey 999:

My biggest problem on roller blades is stopping, so a faster variant isn't appealing. What's the real advantage of those rollerblades over standard ones? Do the high wheels parallel the concept of a race plate?