moving to park city in october

gcleary47

thats right. i will be moving to park city to ride for the season. i am going to stay out there until mid april or so. i am sad that i won;t ride in the keystone state or dirty jersey but i am "moving up in the world" i guess you can say. i am posting this for that fact that if any one from Pa is going to go out there don;t hestitate to contact me. hopefully i'll be able to help find the good runs and whatnot. i am very excited about this. it has been years in the making. i have the perfect oppurtunity so i am going to take advantage of it. the season is far away but it seems right around the corner. so hit me up if you visit park city.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all places out west why Park City????

why not, it's a kick-ass resort with tons of back-country access and more terrain than you could possible get bored with in one season. Oh yeah and then there's the 6+ other mega resorts within 30 minutes drive and a major city 20 minutes away.

Looks like a great deal for one season.

Good luck to you "gcleary" that's one cool way to spend next season.

I haven't been to Park City before but I think of Park City as super expensive and super touristy...plus they receive alot less snow than Snowbird and Alta. I moved to Montana vs Colorado or Utah because I wanted to be somewhere with alot less people. Along with a much lower cost of living. What are the 6+ other mega-resorts within 30 minutes of park city???? Deer Valley, The Canyons, and Snowbird???? Alta, Solitude, and Brighton aren't mega-resorts.

If you haven't been there then you don't have a clue so just shut up!

:ph34r:

That was uncalled for... :devil:

The accesibility of Park City is great but as a skibum I'd want to be somewhere a little bit off the beaten path.

All I asked was why Park City??? That's all....First Grade Teacher, when were you in Park City???

He is moving to one of the best ski towns in the country. Plenty of great resorts are within driving distance and the town has plenty to do. Just be happy for him. He will be in powder while your bombing Razors all day and then writing a stupid report when you get home.

I have been to Park City plenty of times. The skiing at Snowbird and Alta are better but the town/ski area combination of Park City can't be better. It ranks up there with Tahoe, Whistler and Breck.

Make sure to hit Powder Mountain!

:ph34r:

I haven't been to Park City before but I think of Park City as super expensive and super touristy...plus they receive alot less snow than Snowbird and Alta. I moved to Montana vs Colorado or Utah because I wanted to be somewhere with alot less people. Along with a much lower cost of living. What are the 6+ other mega-resorts within 30 minutes of park city???? Deer Valley, The Canyons, and Snowbird???? Alta, Solitude, and Brighton aren't mega-resorts.

PC was expensive to eat / drink and the tickets were more than the other resorts in the area (except for the deer valley and Alta ski-snob b4st4rds), but it was only $8 more than a ticket to Blue for a million times the terrain and experience.

Brighton, and Solitude are both "mega", maybe a bad choice of words but they are great places to ski and ride.

Look at skiutah.com for the local map and tell me PC isn't a great place to be located.

For the first time I am in somewhat agreement with FGT, if you haven't been there, don't be dissin' it.

PC was the real surpirise to me of my Utah trip, I went with some pre-conceptions (not unlike yours) and was really surprised by how "back-country" it got so quickly away from the lodge. And there parks were just awe-inspiring, if you think Blue's mole-hill's are Mo-fo booters......

That sucks that your not going to Jackson Hole...my life would be empty if I went a season without spending several days skiing Jackson Hole...it's a part of me... :wub:

he's a snowboarder, he will love PC more than you love your Hole. :o

I haven't been to Park City before but I think of Park City as super expensive and super touristy...plus they receive alot less snow than Snowbird and Alta.

duhhhhh wha ?? har har har.. little cottonwood a bazzillion light years away gets more snow.. get a clue!

i'm moving there because i have a friend that lives out there and i am going to stay with him. trust me, i love the ride BC, and Blue and all the other places, but don;t you agree anything out west, especially park city will be a step up from the poconos? i spent the last 9 years riding the east coast. time to change the scenary for a while

As much fun as these little Doug-hating sidebars are to read, it would raise a question or two if I said I was gonna spend a year as a ski bum---at Beaver Creek. It's not saying Beaver Creek is bad, or that it wouldn't be epic...it's just that it seems like a funny place to try and work part-time and ski all day long.

Without a place to crash, PC's a tough town for a ski bum. Job fairs are really early and there's a dozen applicants for each crappy job.

We chose property near JO because of the price and the ability to MAYBE just go live in a yurt when we felt like it.

Oh, and btw, congrats on the opportunity.

he's a snowboarder, he will love PC more than you love your Hole. :o

that really makes no sense... I think id take Jackson over PC in my opinion. Less crowds, less expensive, and some of the sickest terrain in north america...

that really makes no sense... I think id take Jackson over PC in my opinion. Less crowds, less expensive, and some of the sickest terrain in north america...

have you been to either / both?

As a young snowboarder, the only thing going against PC is the cost of living / eating there. They have terrain parks rated amonst the best in the country (world?) and enough back-country to keep all but the most god-like skier/riders happy, Jupiter bowl feels a million miles away from any touristy resort.

I can't comment on JH as I've not had the pleasure (yet) but from Doug's reports it doesn't seem like it offers the "social opportunities" you might be looking for at his age.

As for crowds, after waiting in line at CB or Blue, it will seem like paradise.

now i'm really excited to go, thanks timeless!

you're welcome, maybe these will help pass the time... check out the booters on the left of the "touristy and crowded" parking lot.

Edited by Timeless

have you been to either / both?

As a young snowboarder, the only thing going against PC is the cost of living / eating there. They have terrain parks rated amonst the best in the country (world?) and enough back-country to keep all but the most god-like skier/riders happy, Jupiter bowl feels a million miles away from any touristy resort.

I can't comment on JH as I've not had the pleasure (yet) but from Doug's reports it doesn't seem like it offers the "social opportunities" you might be looking for at his age.

As for crowds, after waiting in line at CB or Blue, it will seem like paradise.

As i said it was an OPINION. I guess you didn't read that part. And you obviously don't know me that well, because to me, terrain parks do not matter. And yes i am young, so cost of living would have a great deal to do with me going there.

Every place is the same as far as things to do. I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and i still get bored.. Sure one place might have more clubs or more bars.. But to me thats not really appealling. I've been to clubs.. You dance with a bunch of skanks with probably every STD's thats known and probably a few that arn't.

I guess it's hard to have your own opinion around here, without someone trying to persuede you otherwise...

• 1 month later...

As i said it was an OPINION. I guess you didn't read that part. And you obviously don't know me that well, because to me, terrain parks do not matter. And yes i am young, so cost of living would have a great deal to do with me going there.

Every place is the same as far as things to do. I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and i still get bored.. Sure one place might have more clubs or more bars.. But to me thats not really appealling. I've been to clubs.. You dance with a bunch of skanks with probably every STD's thats known and probably a few that arn't.

I guess it's hard to have your own opinion around here, without someone trying to persuede you otherwise...

It's cool that you have both your own opinions and a love of something outside of the park.

And obviously I don't know you well (at all), but don't take my limited but excited view of "out west" as anything but that, I'm the last person to impose my views on anyone.

seriously i would live in like east bumble fuck utah, colorado, montana, idaho, anywhere. You make it work. I drive 2 hours for shit now I'd drive 4 for a great mountain. Park City is an hour from more mountains than you can shake a stick at. The best mountain within an hour of my house is Mountain Creek. The best mountain within two hours of my dorm room is blue mountain. Imagine driving less than I do to get to blue, and choosing from Park City, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, and Alta. I agree Park City might not be the cheapest, but the more tourist a place is, the more jobs there are. Sure the same # of jobs on the mountain, but when u have a place like Tremblant with a town of shops, restaurents, bars, etc, they all need employees. Or you can go to Blue Mountain and theres nothing there so the only jobs are on the hill. Yes I know a job on the hill is preferabble for the season pass, but I think I'd rather work everynight in a bar and ski during the day, sleep in the afternoon than have to work the lifts for half the days you can ski.

Either way, your one lucky mo-fo.

• 1 month later...

it's official, i am leaving for park city utah on thursday the 12th. i am stoked about it. one more day in pennsylvania than i am on my way. i will update as i can on the happenings out there. everyone have fun in the pocs. i am going to miss riding at bear creek. time for bigger and better things :yes:yes:yes