New Toy

Ski

As my company slowly switches to digital, here's my newest toy, a Canon 70-200 F2.8 L Ultrasonic lens. With Canon, there's a 1.6 effective magnification, which sucks for wide angle lenses, but is a bonus for telephotos/zooms...the lens is actually a 112-320mm 2.8, which is perfect for just about every sport...I avoided spending the extra $500 or so for the image stabilization version because the IS just stabilizes the overall scene from user movement and sports action is subject movement, so you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 sec. anyway.

I bet you can get some sweet shots of Ty flying through Nastar :)

Oh, hey, 'Dude, you'd asked about when she was joining USSA and I said next year---which she is...but I forgot to mention that Sno Mountain (eh, Montage) holds a "scholastic" race series that's open to all school-age kids. It's only three races, but it's a good taste of real racing, with head-to-head competition, instead of just an arbitrary handicap. And maybe the coaches can talk the new owners into moving the start house to the top of the headwall, which would completely change the race course; you'd have a ton of speed coming into the long flats.

Meteor showers, Shadows? Like the kind that hit Senor last season at Blue?

Oh, hey, 'Dude, you'd asked about when she was joining USSA and I said next year---which she is...but I forgot to mention that Sno Mountain (eh, Montage) holds a "scholastic" race series that's open to all school-age kids. It's only three races, but it's a good taste of real racing, with head-to-head competition, instead of just an arbitrary handicap. And maybe the coaches can talk the new owners into moving the start house to the top of the headwall, which would completely change the race course; you'd have a ton of speed coming into the long flats.

Meteor showers, Shadows? Like the kind that hit Senor last season at Blue?

Can I race it :P

Can I race it :P

Ha, I know you're joking because it's on Montage's NASTAR course, but I think it's open to all students in PA, no matter their age. And you don't have to have membership in any organization---just register the day of the race in the lodge. Like all things at Montage, it's not advertised so there's really small turnouts. They use the NASTAR timing, btw:

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...7&year=2006

As my company slowly switches to digital, here's my newest toy, a Canon 70-200 F2.8 L Ultrasonic lens. With Canon, there's a 1.6 effective magnification, which sucks for wide angle lenses, but is a bonus for telephotos/zooms...the lens is actually a 112-320mm 2.8, which is perfect for just about every sport...I avoided spending the extra $500 or so for the image stabilization version because the IS just stabilizes the overall scene from user movement and sports action is subject movement, so you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 sec. anyway.

I can't wait to use it! :rock