east mountain

jordan

does this trail map look strange to anyone else? is this recent, or did i miss it?

looks like they added a new trail beyond floyd's maybe, its not labled, but definately on the map.

that is some sick terrain out past floyds, nice and steep, i did some tree skiing back maybe a football field's distance from floyds (past risk it) back in 2002 when there was enough snow to do that

maybe its just a misprint, and its always been there and i just never realized, but i dont remember that

http://www.jfbb.com/winter-jf-trail-maps.aspx

Edited by jordan

not really?

I remember like two or three years ago there was a couple "powder" days at the east mountain, back when we had the house in Blakeslee....was pretty fun, tree runs were actually doable

This season sucked though, I don't think there was one "powder day" or enough natural snow for a tree run. I was only up at JFBB like 4 or 5 times last season though.

does this trail map look strange to anyone else? is this recent, or did i miss it?

looks like they added a new trail beyond floyd's maybe, its not labled, but definately on the map.

that is some sick terrain out past floyds, nice and steep, i did some tree skiing back maybe a football field's distance from floyds (past risk it) back in 2002 when there was enough snow to do that

maybe its just a misprint, and its always been there and i just never realized, but i dont remember that

http://www.jfbb.com/winter-jf-trail-maps.aspx

I never took notice to that. I'll try to find an old map to look at

Edited by bigdaddyk

I haven't figured out how to put pics in this section, so I put one of the map with the "trail" that appears to be new highlighted in red, in the picture section. This "trail" could be "risk it," because that's where that tree skiing area is. Link to map: http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...ost&id=1165

Edited by bigdaddyk

not really?

I remember like two or three years ago there was a couple "powder" days at the east mountain, back when we had the house in Blakeslee....was pretty fun, tree runs were actually doable

This season sucked though, I don't think there was one "powder day" or enough natural snow for a tree run. I was only up at JFBB like 4 or 5 times last season though.

free domain IE tree skiing anywhere, puts JF up and above every other PA ski area in my book. On another note, has anyone ever skied the narrow run in between challenge and east mountain where an old power line used to run up? its not actually a trail, and is technically marked off, but ski patrol never bother anyone for skiing it. there needs to be plenty of natural snow before attempting though.

good times :) When there is enough snow, jack frost is the shit :) risk it cliff, elevator, plenty of glades, the powerline

I love that place

heres to more snow this year :)

Back on topic,

i guess they were just trying to emphasize risk it on the map, since it was actually there last year. risk it is far from a conventional trail as is shown on the map thoug, it starts off with a small ~3 foot cliff, then through some wooded area, then a ~10-12 foot cliff, then a fun lower half sparsely populated with some trees in the area, definately not a wide open trail as depicted on the map.

Jordan

Back on topic,

i guess they were just trying to emphasize risk it on the map, since it was actually there last year. risk it is far from a conventional trail as is shown on the map thoug, it starts off with a small ~3 foot cliff, then through some wooded area, then a ~10-12 foot cliff, then a fun lower half sparsely populated with some trees in the area, definately not a wide open trail as depicted on the map.

Jordan

and it's open to ride on "legally"?

and it's open to ride on "legally"?

risk it? mm yeah, it is a trail. they dont blow snow on it, but enough usually blows over from floyds. before the 2nd cliff, there is usually a rope running across with a sign saying "cliff", just for them to cover their asses so that people who didnt know it was there, could go back over to floyds if they want, but yeah, its totally legit to ski it as long as risk it is open.

there are so many nooks and cranies at Jack Frost that you learn from skiing there almost every weekend for the past 14 years :) The most fun places to ski at JF are the places where the average PA ski resort wouldnt let you ski. JF's philosophy has always seemed to be (as I have verified with various ski patrollers) as long as there is snow, ski anywhere on the property as long as it isnt specifically marked CLOSED. Its a lot more like skiing out west than anywhere else in PA.

My point is: don't underestimate jack frost just because its small. Go there one day (whern there is plenty of natural snow) with someone who knows the mountain inside and out, and i bet you will have a lot more fun than you thought you could have sking in PA. The lax atmosphere makes it awesome.

Jordan

The one nice thing that I like about JF is the "out west" feel. I can't think of any other PA resorts that allow as much off trail or tree skiing as JF. I also like little cliff huck. For those of you not familiar with that "trail," its an out-croping from a bank that they blow snow on. It provides about a 10 foot high cliff to ski down, and/ or jump up onto or off of.

I just wish they would lower the price difference between the regular season pass and the VIP pass, because I don't intend on getting a pass that I have to get a ticket every day and I'm not sure if I want to waste $100 more on getting a VIP pass...I might be able to tolerate $50 more.

Edited by bigdaddyk

The one nice thing that I like about JF is the "out west" feel. I can't think of any other PA resorts that allow as much off trail or tree skiing as JF. I also like little cliff huck. For those of you not familiar with that "trail," its an out-croping from a bank that they blow snow on. It provides about a 10 foot high cliff to ski down, and/ or jump up onto or off of.

I just wish they would lower the price difference between the regular season pass and the VIP pass, because I don't intend on getting a pass that I have to get a ticket every day and I'm not sure if I want to waste $100 more on getting a VIP pass...I might be able to tolerate $50 more.

If you are going to put in 30+ days at JF spend the extra and it will be worth it, especially if you are not one of the first people at the mountain.

how often is there enough snow? From the woods around mountain creek last year I can't think of any time at all I'd consider hitting up stuff like that even though mountain creek (used to) have glades so there are some areas that are cleared out.

generally the glades between trails and areas within 50 ft or so of trails, are usually skiable through ~ jan and feb because enough snow blows over when they make snow for the trails, however, the really good parts of the mountain haven't been skiable in several years. The 02/03 ski season comes to mind (remember the year with the christmas day and presidents day snow storms) :) I remember getting stuck at jack frost till about 5:30 on christmas day 02 because rt. 940 was closed :) good times

JF I think has the best "natural terrain" in PA...if that exists hahaha.

BC has some little tree-runs and side cuts on their other trails

I was there a couple times last season....cliff huck was fun to mess around with. Risk it was cool as well...the only thing about it is that you have to make sure there is enought natural snow

haha little cliff huck's the best

and yeah, i dont really wanna jinx anything by saying this, but the ski patrol guys at JF are really chill, its pretty sweet

and yeah, there are tons of places to ride when theres enough snow.. like inbetween challenge and east mtn, or off of any of the trails on east.

hahaha i remember like 2 years ago it had snowed a ton (believe it or not..) and we had a bunch of powder off of one of the slopes on east mtn and im not sure what exactly happened but my skis stopped and i kept going and i couldnt find my skis for the longest time.. haha.. good times.