looking for a video camera

stevewww

OK I want to get a video camera so I can get some of my riding on tape this year but I have some problems.

1. I don't know much about what kind of camera would be best, all I know is it can't be too big and has to link up with my computer easily and 2. I dont have much money to spend on it. I know cameras are expensive but if there are any decent cameras out there for not a lot of money I would like to know what ones they are.

thanks

You have a ton of choices. Right now we are on the cusp of everything switching to HD or Digital, which would cost you upwards of 2000 for brand new equipment, or you could go extremely basic and run Hi8 which would set you back like 200 for brand new stuff. If you're just getting into video I'd suggest something around the 3-700 dollar price range, and definitely suggest the miniDV tape format. I'm most likely going to be sticking with single ccd miniDV this year, and hopefully upgrading to 3ccd HD next year, which probably means nothing to you if you haven't put alot of research into this. A single ccd mini DV camera will get you familiar with good angles to use and how to edit and then if you decide that video is something you want to get into you'll be able to know where to look in terms of upgrades.

gl2 haha

No, hahaha.

Ya go for the optura 10 or 20. Both identical in features, only the 20 is a bit more expensive due to a larger LCD. They aren't availible any more, so there's some nice deals on eBay.

Otherwise, go for a Panasonic 3CCD....PV-GS-whatever. Around $500, but great quality and features for the $$$.

Either way, both cameras have great manual settings. WB, WB shift, color levels, saturation, etc. Learn to use all of these to get a super good picture. They also have the baby death lense availble which is a great fisheye for about $300. Get some extra batteries, too.

I would say a MiniDV is your best way to go, the harddrive/flash drive type ones are too expensive. Don't mess around with anything analog that ends up being a bitch to edit. So now narrow it down to 1 or 3 CCD. Basically, 3 CCD has better colors, 1 CCD is cheaper. Depending on your budget, the switch to 3 CCD is worth it.

For brands, Canon, Sony, or Panasonic.

Check out CNet.com and DVSpot.com