Elk vs. Weather

NiftySHIFTY

Has anyone been up recently? Will they make it through this weekend? I know there are only 3 trails open, but they posted info about Sunday skiing on their website, so it seems like they're going to make it. Anyone know?

they should b able to make it, i was up there a few days ago and the trails that they did have open were fine, snow wise

FYI their website says they will be closed this coming Monday and Tuesday.

I really hope the 15 day forecast I saw today plays out. I did not have any snow, but it showed a whole week of high temps in the upper 20s starting Jan 15.

Each day further away, forecast temps are weighted more and more toward seasonal averages. Even if it was 90 degrees today, with no predicted shift in the upper air patterns, the 15th day of the forecast would 20's for a high and teens at night for up here. One of the local weather guys even did a report on how they do it and just how arbitrary long range forecasting can be.

FYI their website says they will be closed this coming Monday and Tuesday.

I really hope the 15 day forecast I saw today plays out. I did not have any snow, but it showed a whole week of high temps in the upper 20s starting Jan 15.

My guess is that they are closing Mon. & Tues. due to the forcast for heavy NFP Sunday night into Monday. I wouldn't be surprised to see the other areas still open follow their lead. At this point, it doesn't pay to spin the lifts. The few people who would be skiing are pass holders. Elk does have a 100 day guarantee for their pass holders. Don't know what the compensation is if they don't make it, but it is likely less expensive than staying open for maybe a few people.

The forcast looks good for snowmaking on Tuesday & Wednesday nights, but then it's back to the 50's for daytime highs. The PA ski areas lost Christmas week, they'll lose MLK weekend, they will be hurting. The weather has to change sometime but ski was correct in stating that the long range forecast is based more on history than reality.

A good 36" dump would help everyone. It has to get cold sometime this winter!

...The forcast looks good for snowmaking on Tuesday & Wednesday nights, but then it's back to the 50's for daytime highs. ...

:confused For Lake Harmony from NOAA. I don't see any 50's here:

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind between 13 and 17 mph.

Tuesday: A chance of snow showers, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. West wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 15.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 24.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 39.

Go to accuweather look up Union Dale or Mt. Pocono or your fav mountain and select the 15 day forecast. I realize the long term forecast is a moving target and can change drastically but its the first time you see a serious shot of cold air come into play (highs in the low 20s).

:wiggle I have been carefully watching the weather, and the consensus is a moderate shot of colder air mid-week for a few days, followed by a brief warm-up with rain. After the warm-up the first shot or Arctic air will move south and east. How long it will stay is too far off, but I think we will finally have a ski season. This week will allow the resorts to replace all the snow gone from this warm spell, and then next week more terrain will open quickly.. This season obviously has been awful so far, but relief is on the way and who knows, February and March could be great.

:naughty Yes, I was there today. I skied after the rain moved out. Conditions were decent considering. The trails that they currently have open have a very nice base, and they have some nice mounds on upper tunkhannock that they made with the recent cold. Even with the rain tomorrow and monday, the forecast is for temps to stay in the 40's and tomorrow they may drop into the 30's, with a mix of precip and then a changeover monday late. I have no inside info, but with the base they have on the open terrain and the snow mounds on other trails, by late next week I would be shocked if some more expert terrain is not open. I also think they are planning on opening more terrain on the east side including the terrain park asap.

:naughty Yes, I was there today. I skied after the rain moved out. Conditions were decent considering. The trails that they currently have open have a very nice base, and they have some nice mounds on upper tunkhannock that they made with the recent cold. Even with the rain tomorrow and monday, the forecast is for temps to stay in the 40's and tomorrow they may drop into the 30's, with a mix of precip and then a changeover monday late. I have no inside info, but with the base they have on the open terrain and the snow mounds on other trails, by late next week I would be shocked if some more expert terrain is not open. I also think they are planning on opening more terrain on the east side including the terrain park asap.

Cool thanks

Looks like from Tuesday through the foreseeable future they have a good chance for some prolonged snowmaking.

I would think Slalom and Delaware are the highest priority to get open since they are needed for night and especially Slalom since its the race trail.

It would be real sweet to get a storm system come through with that colder air in place.