Power failure strands Hidden Valley skiers on chairlifts

mtnbiker99x

From http://www.nj.com

Power failure strands Hidden Valley skiers on chairlifts

A power outage in Sussex County this afternoon left several hundred skiers and snowboarders stranded on chairlifts at Hidden Valley Resort in Vernon, where they dangled in frigid gusts for roughly an hour, officials said.

A main power line snapped at about 1:35 p.m. when high winds knocked over a large dead tree, said Jim Siglin, a spokesman for Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative.

Using back-up generators, Hidden Valley officials were able to restart the chairlifts by about 2:30 p.m., said Roni Mattiello, the resort's snow sports director.

While the skiers and snowboarders - between 200 and 300 of them - were stranded, temperatures hovered around 27 degrees, and winds gusted up to 25 mph, leaving a wind-chill of 16 degree, according to the National Weather Service.

Sussex Rural Electric Cooperative had power restored by 2:45, Siglin said.

Contributed by Joe Ryan

I guess they got no ropes.

When I worked lifts it was explained that the ropes are only used in situations where the backup generator isn't an option. A hour on a chairlift is no walk in the park but it is by no means the end of the world. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people on the chair would have rather waited than be roped down.

Something like that happened at Blue. The lift stopped working for about 30 minutes or so. But the power didn't go out, the computer crashed. They tried to restart the computer multiple times, but when they tried and had no success, the lift jumped back and it was scary. It was the six pack by the way. :banghead

• 4 weeks later...