How is Rhodo, can someone please post the setup.......

YellowSnowJerseyPro

theres a 40ft flat rail and the jibzilla box up top, both super fun. then choice of a 40ft jump or a 20 foot jump (the 20 foot had some weird angles to it though) then there's the flat down rail (but today it was an up down) That thing is just huge. if u don't wanna go huge u can hit the wall ride. then after those theres one more 20ft jump witch was like BUTTA. But also there was teh rail or bail today on sunbowl with the c bow boc, flat down box, and flat down flat rail which will all be in rhodo very soon.

I really liked rhodo today, i had a blast and the park pass system kept it all sweet all day. Props to CB for making something for the advanced riders! Thanks You!!

I took one lap through the park and didn't hit anything, maybe tomorrow morning. "Jibzilla" looks like it could be fun, but I have to ride it to know for sure. The flat rail looks decent, but it's gonna take some balls to hit it the first time. The up-down rail is INSANELY huge... not really sure what the point is. It's on like a 15 foot mound of snow. All the jumps looked like step-ups which is kind of lame, but I didn't hit any so maybe they are alright.

Here is my humble opinion. Anyone experienced (Lib, DH, Method) please feel free to let me know if I'm on track.

Camelback's parks are completely polarized right now in terms of jibs. They have the LG park which is nothing but extremely short and wide ride on boxes. Then they have huge gap on rails . The up-down rail was measured at 8 feet. The flat rail was being reset when I rolled through but it looked to be over 4 feet to gap on. Jibzilla is setup like a wallride/box hybrid so the fact that it is ride on isn't a huge issue with me.

Like I mentioned they have 3 step ups, which is kind of dumb.

What I would like to see:

The park (and the park scene) should be about progression. Outside of the park you have a standard progression from green trails through blue and then to black, double black etc. Using the analogy to "normal" trails CB has a bunny trail (LG) and a bumped diamond (rhodo). I'm not sure the flat down box and the cbox box will properly bridge the gap either. I would like to see a set of STANDARD rails/boxes with gap sizes that progressively get larger. If you are going to have an 8 foot gap there better be a 2 foot, a 4 foot, and a 6 foot gap on STANDARD jibs. By standard I mean either flat or down rails/boxes. A flat down does not count as standard, nor does a flat-down-flat/cbox/dragontail/jibzilla/up-flat/battleship.

Also once again the broken record; the setups weren't that great. None of the lips looked very wide. I'm going to take a guess the lips I have ridden that are very wide stay nice because there is snow to rake. The rails don't need to be elevated on huge mounds of snow. It si my opinion that the most technical difficult and dangerous rail in a park should model itself after a street style handrail. All other rail/boxes (with a few exceptions, and jibzilla might be one) should make a progressive path TOWARDS the handrail. I would say the up-down rail in CB's park is more of a STUNT style rail than something to get stylish or tech with. I'm sure plenty of people with throw down on it this year, as a really good rider can really make anything work. However, it's not looking to promising. Along the lines of progessing towards handrails. I would like to see some street style lips of varying difficulty. I'm not sure CB even knows what that means, but they can ask their park crew and I'm sure someone will know whats up.

(Sidenote: BB had a street style down box that was right at my level of riding. The box actually came OVER the lip about 8 inches and it was a 6 inch ollie to get on. I've never hit street style jibs before and it was the perfect setup to start to learning on. THAT is what makes BB such a great park. There is room to progress whether you are a park n00b or an expert, and most importantly for me everything in between).

I would also like to point out that providing progressive features in the park helps ALL levels of riders, as park riding is as much about learning new tricks as it is taking learned tricks to bigger/harder features. The stuff in the LG park is ok for trying a trick out the first time, but getting it clean means longer jibs (for hitting it faster) and gapped lips etc.

As far as the jumps go, someone else said they liked them so maybe I just need to hit them, however, step-ups are not stock in my opinion. CB should concentrate on getting good STOCK features. Stock jumps include step downs, hips, and MAYBE tabletops if they want to blow a ton of snow. I think the most standard jump style (and the one CB should have the most of) are step-downs. Again I haven't hit any of the jumps so this may be a non-issue.

The stuff I've mentioned is what I think is cool, and I would venture to guess the freestyle community does as well. Again anyone experienced feel free to chime in and let me know where I'm wrong. Craig, please read through my comments and let me know if CB's parks are headed in the direction of progression or just looking as big as possible to bring in the crowds.

All in all, seeing rhodo today was a good and a bad thing. Seeing the up-down rail it was clear that CB has grown some balls and will put in some serious features. The down side is, I think the park scene in general needs LOTS of work still. Hopefully CB the CB people will read through this and take some of it to heart. I've tried to be as objective rather than calling lots of names and talking dirt.

Things are moving, now there just needs to be some direction!

Oh, thought I would mention, if CB (or any mountain) wanted to make their park good (even top notch) hiring the park logic guys is the way to go. They know what is good bad and awful. The change they made in a few months at JF/BB is unbelievable. While they are still on the market, someone with enough foresight should hire them. I'm sure ANY park rider on this message board given the option would hire them if they were in a GM position.

i can pretty much only ski monday night, friday night, saturday/sunday morning till 12. unless i have off school. so i dont know whats gonna happen.

???

Are you planning a trip for CB and letting us know your schedule? I thought you swore off CB.

I do not have much (if any) park experience, other than what I have seen at other places and on tv. I myself am impressed with the size of some of the stuff on Rhodo. My opinion on the "mounds" of snow that the features are set on is a positive one from an injury point of view. I think having a sloped "landing' or "fall" zone on all sides might help with some of the less than graceful maneuvers. Give CB a couple days to make adjustments before you make your final decisions.

A couple pros and cons about rhodo..

PROS

jumps were decent, the lipslide box thing was alright and the flat down box (up down) is sick.. i dont care what anyone says.. its a little scary at first but just grow some balls and its alot of fun..

CONS

park opens at 9 and i was told i couldnt get my pass till 10, (i didnt have a problem waiting a little and warming up in the smaller park) i go back around 10 and some little shit whos checking passes gives me attitude and tells me the lady with the passes wont be there for another hour.. What resort decides to have park passes but doesnt have anyone workin there to give them out? that really pissed me off but i just used my little bros and everything was fine.. the jumps were all set up at step ups and the lips arnt to wide either.. not that great to spin..

overall it was a decent day... glad to say it was my first time at CB this year.. and my LAST

BB here i come

I see what Ski is saying about having the features up high with sloped sides as an injury measure (see Blue's swingset box, despite everyones bitching - it has slopped sides so if you WHERE to come off the top it wouldn't hurt that bad).

l_9c1d73e5f5a5fd68c5ec32eab8a40d57.jpg

As compared to the 48' battleship box at MC last season:

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

Although the swingset box is higher, i've come off the top of the that box and it looks a lot lower than it is, and it is onto a flat deck so it compresses your knees quite a bit when you aren't expecting it.

However for stuff like a flat down, there isn't really a NEED for it to be up high like that. It could be 2 feet above flat snow the whole way and be fine, unless the contour of the slope doesn't match the box, then you need to build up a mound.

To me the 8' gap onto the flat down looks fun. I'd set it up less on a mound like that, more on the contour of the hill, with the same gap, and a wider/higher lip. Then the preferred move would most likely be gap to the down with a lot of speed, take it like a 20' jump, or you could go onto the flat and go down it, but most likely take it as a gap to down rail which would be very sick indeed.

This is an interesting setup too:

Session_2_Day_7_050.jpg

Its setup like I said before, a wide ramp with like an 8' gap - and then look there is a streestyle ramp on the down part so you would roll in AROUND the first lip, and take the down section as a streetstyle down rail. That would be fairly innovative around here.