Season Pass deals?

method9455

I was looking into next year already, and right now I'm feeling like I'm switching my season pass to JFBB, with some days at Blue & Bear Creek because I'm sick of Mountain Creek (and the season pass I bought and used 1 fucking day this season - even at the discount of $100, the day I went only had 1 trail and it was late January, $100 for one trail doesn't fly with me)

The price for the unlimited is $450, just wondering if they do a spring time/end of season sale like some places where it will be cheaper? Although at $450 thats only 10 days of snowboarding which I did pass this year despite the weather and my injury, so its not unreasonable, but who doesn't like a better deal?

Blue is closer to my school and my girlfriends school - but its farther from home. Same with Bear Creek, its like an hour from school but a few from home. I live about a block from the Route 80 entrance ramp and a mile from the 287 entrance ramp so I can head out to Shawnee/Camelback/JFBB easily and Mountain Creek easily - but Blue and Bear take me far out of the way from here. I get 6 weeks off next year again that will be 60% of my riding from home so Blue probably isn't the best choice. And the lift tickets for students at Blue are cheap anyway so I don't mind going up and buying them. Although I really do like the trails and lifts better at Blue the drive is just an issue. (Although the only time I went to blue I got super lost because my directions were wrong and ended up at a llama farm so I have no idea how long it actually takes to get there)

Blue is closer to my school and my girlfriends school - but its farther from home. Same with Bear Creek, its like an hour from school but a few from home. I live about a block from the Route 80 entrance ramp and a mile from the 287 entrance ramp so I can head out to Shawnee/Camelback/JFBB easily and Mountain Creek easily - but Blue and Bear take me far out of the way from here. I get 6 weeks off next year again that will be 60% of my riding from home so Blue probably isn't the best choice. And the lift tickets for students at Blue are cheap anyway so I don't mind going up and buying them. Although I really do like the trails and lifts better at Blue the drive is just an issue. (Although the only time I went to blue I got super lost because my directions were wrong and ended up at a llama farm so I have no idea how long it actually takes to get there)

Did you print the directions from the mapquest link on their website? Cause that got me lost as sh*t. I was just driving around in a circle past all these damn farms. I was so pissed, but finally found out where I was going.

Not sure about a late season pass deal, but I think the early bird was for like $399 up until October 1. I think your better off with JFBB anyway, just look at what they were able to do this winter. They were open when everyone else was closed. And as far as I can see, their parks are gonne be even sicker next year. The new jumps in Boulder Park are big and PEFECT!!

Blue is the best choice..you can get more riding in , in less time..Method, has anybody ever told you that you analyze stuff alot?? Pull the trigger and get a pass at Blue..

Ha you have no idea man its crazy. My girlfriend calls me a planner but its more like I'm obsessive. Thats why I'm going to be an engineer so its all good. I think I'm settled on JFBB but I'll be at Blue more in February and March because thats when I'm back in school and thats when they are 100% so don't worry I'll be up there next year and I'll get to ride with you guys. Its the early season that I'm home and JFBB excelled at early season park - which is what I'll do when I'm home alone in January. When its mid/late season I'll be freeriding with my friends from college and my girlfriend, we'll be at blue but not often enough to justify a pass.

If distacne isn't a factor, I'd go with Blue. I'm actually thinking about switching to Sno next year, because it is only about 10 more mins. for me to drive. I'm not too happy with all of the changes Peak made at JFBB. I was actually calculating if it would be cost effective for me to get a pass to Sno, for the rest of the year.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Yea (sidenote for the spelling firefox 2.0 spellchecks on forums, it prevents you from looking like a dumbass its great) - I'm actually going into aerospace engineering and day one they kind of laid it out for us - if we make mistakes people die, much more so than anywhere else. Any little thing goes wrong on an airplane or a rocket and hundreds of people end up dead so I figure it's a good thing.

As for BigDaddy - it would be lame for the forum if you switched to Sno since you post updates on JFBB so much, but they have clearly made huge improvements with their snowmaking and the vertical is better.

I'll admit Doug I'm thinking about Blue a bit more I checked the distance again and its actually only 3 minutes further on googlemaps than JFBB - so I definetly fucked up last year when it took me like 2 and a half hours to get there. Although we did end up in a parking lot with a dumpster on fire, lost on a road that had nothing to do with any of our directions and without a map of PA (and none of us having been there) and stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture of a llama (shown below) , and despite the women in the car we DID NOT ask for directions and eventually made it to blue mountain.

So we'll see maybe the solution is one pass for each mountain and not working next winter. As much as I like working at the shop it sucked up 4-5 days a week this winter I could have been snowboarding and I have all the gear I need now that all of this years stuff got packed away without any wear.

As promised - llamas

llamapg5.jpg

...As for BigDaddy - it would be lame for the forum if you switched to Sno since you post updates on JFBB so much, but they have clearly made huge improvements with their snowmaking and the vertical is better.

I'll be the first to admit that JFBB has made huge improvements in snowmaking and I love it. The grooming is also out of this world. It's the other things like passes, prices, no discounts, messing w/ trails at BB, that I'm not too fond of. I think Sno has more vertical. The only thing that I'm a little leary of is conditions at Sno. I can't comment on conditions, since I was only there once a long time ago, but I know that the snow stays in excellent condition at JFBB, when people at other mountains are complaining...I don't know about if Sno has any problems with keeping excellent conditions. I guess I'll just have to go numerous times, to find out.

My reports aren't anything special. I usually only report when I see something different that I like and would think that might interest other people.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Well sounds like Sno has put in a system similar to JFBB now that SMI designed it. The question is where do they get their water from, how are their temperatures usually, and considering Montage had crappy snowmaking do they have a solid snowmaking crew? It looks like they have been doing pretty good now that their season has gotten going.

Well sounds like Sno has put in a system similar to JFBB now that SMI designed it. The question is where do they get their water from, how are their temperatures usually, and considering Montage had crappy snowmaking do they have a solid snowmaking crew? It looks like they have been doing pretty good now that their season has gotten going.

I was sort of wondering the same thing. I know the temps at JF are usually a little colder, which is one of the bigger advantages that JFBB has over most of the resorts.

No resort will be able to compete with Sno, they have the best snow making system, best park design team, best sno making crew, brand new lodges, new trails, 2 new high speed lifts, and $$$$$$$$

So is that why a Sno representative offered a JFBB snowmaker "a dollar more than you make no matter what it is" because they "don't have anyone to run the equipment"?

Best snowmaking crew? Hardly. Even the SMI rep told me that Sno has nobody who knows what to do.

I'm actually going into aerospace engineering and day one they kind of laid it out for us - if we make mistakes people die, much more so than anywhere else. Any little thing goes wrong on an airplane or a rocket and hundreds of people end up dead so I figure it's a good thing.

Completely off topic but...

Ha, you have a lot to learn about aerospace, they are just a penny-pinching as any other industry when it comes down to it. I started my career in avionics, designing control systems for pressure and oxygen systems on all kinds of commercial and military aircraft including the euro-fighter and the F-22, some of the people working on those programs were the worst engineers, they tend stick to the aerospace companies which pay less than areas like telecoms because they cant learn new stuff and the technology tends to be "tried and tested" rather than innovative.

I do miss working on fighter aircraft stuff though, much cooler than telecoms basestations.

Edited by Timeless

well they obviously do, maybe you should check out the mountain, conditions have never been this good in the history of the mountain, they have snow everywhere, groomed perfect they really know what they are doing

They may be doing great, but so is JFBB, and so is Blue. I haven't seen conditions like this ever. And I've been goin to JFBB for 18 years. It's like saying my board is better than yours. No it's not, it's just personal preference. I'm glad the Pa mountains are ALL steppin it up. A competitive PA ski/snowboard scene only means the consumer(WE) will reap the benefits.

I'll be going to Sno at the end of Feb. Haven't been there in 3 years, lookin forward to it.