Roll call for Tues 2-6

bigdaddyk

I'm looking at hitting Sno on Tuesday (2-6). I haven't been there in three years and it sucked when I went. Right now, I'm leaning toward the afternoon session. Although, Blue is still tugging at my strings. Wednesday is going to be a killer decision day (Blue, Sno, or Elk?). I haven't been to Elk yet this year, but the Blue 6-pack is calling and Sno might make it more difficult. Decisions, decisions :banghead

Icy, Nick? I bet there's a bunch of frozen cord, but I can't see ice being a problem. But we have different thoughts on what is ice; I keep ruining gloves because I sharpen my edges way too much and cut the crap out of the leather.

We'll probably be up, Big, from about 2:30 to 5pm, or so, trying to catch the warmest hours. We'll be doing laps on the NF, so drop me a pm or just look for the orange helmet.

Icy, Nick? I bet there's a bunch of frozen cord, but I can't see ice being a problem. But we have different thoughts on what is ice; I keep ruining gloves because I sharpen my edges way too much and cut the crap out of the leather.
You gotta remember,I do rails,rails round out edges,therefore I have no edges.

You gotta remember,I do rails,rails round out edges,therefore I have no edges.

Oh, yeah, for sure, Nick...plus, you're landing jumps. If I ever hit a flat landing off one of your jumps in my race boots, I'd fracture my skull in a dozen places. If you saw Sib's post in that "Is a slope closed" thread, you may have noticed they are prepping her home mountain's race course by water injection...race crews drag a bar up or down the course purposely injecting water below the surface to create the hardest surface they can.

Oh, yeah, for sure, Nick...plus, you're landing jumps. If I ever hit a flat landing off one of your jumps in my race boots, I'd fracture my skull in a dozen places. If you saw Sib's post in that "Is a slope closed" thread, you may have noticed they are prepping her home mountain's race course by water injection...race crews drag a bar up or down the course purposely injecting water below the surface to create the hardest surface they can.
I guess thats the way it has to be for racers.You don't want the course to be rutted up,it will kill your time.

Just looked at the conditions report. They list the Long Haul Triple as closed. Noticed it was closed the other day as well when the 2 top to bottom runs were open. Are they not running this chair on weekdays? Do they open it on weeknights?
LongHaul is only open on weekends.

Just got back from a couple of hours on th NF and conditions are AMAZING!

Boomer was groomed flat, then they blew a few inches of really dry, chalk on top. And the cool thing about the SMI Polecats is that they throw the snow high and evenly, so there was no need to groom it out. The guns are spaced just right, so it's like there was a four inch snowfall on top of cord. No big piles, just powder that's evenly distributed.

WL: groomed cord down to the headwall, then small bumps, but that's where the fun starts: they had also groomed it, then blew even powder on top. It'll turn into a full bump run pretty quickly, but it was a blast as it is.

Smoke is really weird right now, with a ton of snow being saved for the 2/24 USSA races. There are even two big piles in front of the finish house that are being conserved.

Cannonball is groomed hardpack---the cord marks are still there and it's super fast. Lower Runaway is pretty much the same, except for the few inches of powder down the left side.

There were five or six people on the NF from 1:30 to 2:30pm...then a few more people showed up for the next hour. When I came around the patrol shack to do Runaway, it looked just as dead up top.

Great day!

Just got back from a couple of hours on th NF and conditions are AMAZING!

I'm looking to head up on Wednesday, is it too cold or ok, given the wind?

Also, a previous post said that long haul was closed, but I just checked the web site and it shows open. Was it running today?

I'm looking to head up on Wednesday, is it too cold or ok, given the wind?

Also, a previous post said that long haul was closed, but I just checked the web site and it shows open. Was it running today?

I don't think it was running, but can't say for sure. I'm saying about 99% sure it wasn't. But I wouldn't ride it anyway. I'd rather just take two lifts up, then skate over to Upper FT & Runaway. The Long Haul breaks down waaaay too much.

As for the cold, the NF seems warm compared to anywhere else. No wind and you're down in the trees. Some guys were leaving when I was arriving and they stopped to tell me how freaking cold it was. But I layer with UA, a surf wetshirt, and two more thin layers...I didn't even wear a jacket all afternoon Sunday (because of NASTAR---I'd never wear my speed suit for NASTAR, but always drop my coat) and wasn't cold.

IDK, I'd never skip skiing because of the cold. Lowe's had a great sale on heat packs, just $.45 a set and I grabbed a case. And tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer, too.