Shawnee, Alpine, or Hidden Valley?

PeterC0523

As of now, it seems like the only mountains that are planning to open by Thanksgiving weekend (and are within a reasonable driving distance) will be Shawnee, Alpine, and Hidden Valley.

Assuming the conditions and number of trails open are comparable between the three, which would you guys go to? I've never been to Hidden Valley or Alpine, and I was too young to remember how Shawnee is.

As of now, it seems like the only mountains that are planning to open by Thanksgiving weekend (and are within a reasonable driving distance) will be Shawnee, Alpine, and Hidden Valley.

Assuming the conditions and number of trails open are comparable between the three, which would you guys go to? I've never been to Hidden Valley or Alpine, and I was too young to remember how Shawnee is.

Shawnee

Shawnee rather than Alpine, but I would think both will be pretty sketchy. Where is Hidden Valley? (Presumably well hidden.. :confused )

Shawnee rather than Alpine, but I would think both will be pretty sketchy.  Where is Hidden Valley?  (Presumably well hidden.. :confused )

Hidden Valley is in Northern Jersey, about 2 hours from where I am. Shawnee and Alpine are about 1.5 hours. So if Hidden Valley has better conditions or more trails open I think it'd be worth the additional 30 mins on the road.

Hidden Valley is in Northern Jersey, about 2 hours from where I am. Shawnee and Alpine are about 1.5 hours. So if Hidden Valley has better conditions or more trails open I think it'd be worth the additional 30 mins on the road.

I don't know, i've never heard of Hidden Valley, but Shawnee seems to have mastered opening up early, so that may be your best bet, but only time will tell. :)

I don't know, i've never heard of Hidden Valley, but Shawnee seems to have mastered opening up early, so that may be your best bet, but only time will tell.  :)

It would seem that way, but I've also heard that Shawnee (in the past) has opened with just 1 trail. Any truth to this?

FYI - this is Hidden Valley's site if you're interested...

http://www.hiddenvalleynj.com/main.html

Shawnee does like to open with one trail. I went to alpine one year, and they opened with one trail the size of my driveway. But it wasn;t too busy there, and it was skiing, very very bad skiing, but still skiiing.

I would go to HV, cause the other two places are pretty cr@ppy as far as early season goes.

Shawnee does like to open with one trail.  I went to alpine one year, and they opened with one trail the size of my driveway.  But it wasn;t too busy there, and it was skiing, very very bad skiing, but still skiiing.

I would go to HV, cause the other two places are pretty cr@ppy as far as early season goes.

Thanks for the input!

Have you ever been to HV? If so, how was it?

i would go to hv. i went there on an opening day a few years ago and it was relatively cheap and they had about 5 slopes open.

Looks like HV is out of the question for Thanksgiving. :banghead

This is the reply I received from an HV rep:

"Good morning, Peter. Thanks for your interest in visiting Hidden Valley

during the Thanksgiving holiday. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll

be able to open until the first week in December. We hope that you'll

visit us once we open. Thanks again, Janice"

Shawnee won't be open either. It takes exceptionally cold early temps for them to get to work. Just not happening.

Ugh... 0 for 3...

Why God? WHY?!?!?

I guess PA skiing/riding is out of the question for Thanksgiving weekend. :thumbdown

Edited by PeterC0523

On HV's website http://www.hiddenvalleynj.com/winter_snow_report.html they say

"SCHEDULED OPENING DAY FOR THE 2004-2005 SEASON IS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH"

Thats the day after thanksgiving. I don't know if that is newer, info than the email, older info than the email, of just PR bs. If its cheap enough though, I might head out, if they do get it open by then.

And the Weather Channel's ski report lists Shawnee as a 11/26 opening. Ski areas just try to stir some hype. It was 50 today in the Northern Poconos. The 10 day forecast show a total of about 20 hours of snowmaking time between now and 11/26. And just about the same amount of hours of 50+ temps.

The NY ski areas that put down a base and were open last weekend won't be hurt much by temps in the 40's, but they won't have much of a chance to make more snow in coming days.

On HV's website http://www.hiddenvalleynj.com/winter_snow_report.html they say

"SCHEDULED OPENING DAY FOR THE 2004-2005 SEASON IS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH"

Thats the day after thanksgiving. I don't know if that is newer, info than the email, older info than the email, of just PR bs. If its cheap enough though, I might head out, if they do get it open by then.

I've been watching those opening dates on their sites for the past few weeks. I sent Hidden Valley, Alpine, and Shawnee emails yesterday, Nov 16. HV replied the same day, Alpine replied today, Nov 17, and Shawnee has not replied yet.

I think they intended on opening Thanksgiving weekend, but unfortunately they can't deliver due to the weather.

Edited by PeterC0523