Wednesday February 28

SkiCamelback

Today - CB has all 33 slopes open and 5 Lifts (including both Detach's). Both parks and pipes are open. The Rhodo park set has changed and when I get the set up, I'll post more. Snow conditions are looking like a little mix of everythig -- I'll call it Machine Groomed & Variable. Snow base depth is edge to edge with good coverage. Forcast for today is a little sun, turning cloudy and highs in the mid 30's. Long rage is saying below average temps (hi's in the low 30's) through mid-March.

Tonight is the continuation of the Adult Race League.

If you get out, please add to the thread and report...

I just came in so here is a first hand report. STAY HOME it is really awful, I am the only one that should be out there! j/k. Actually it is nearly perfect. Bright sunshine, great temps, decent snow, and no crowds.

As for the park, it looks like they moved the f/d/f, the 40' flat, and added a hip, and re-did most of the takeoffs and landings. The gap ons are still pretty big (scares me) and the wall, well, lets just say it makes a good wind block. The park crew guys seem to be liking the new setup (for what that is worth).

Conditions tonight were really good on nearly all the trails except the flatter stuff which was kind of scraped and a little rutted. Asp was phenomenal, Hump, marjies and Cliffy all excellent.

Then they closed the east side down at 9pm, WTF. IT WAS 35 DEGREES, not raining, snowing , sleeting and I'm sure there was no forecast for a plague of frogs.

Doesn't it take an hour for the slower skiers and riders to make their way over..or maybe the ski patrollers wanted to watch something on TV at 9:30PM???

Eh, usually they shut it down between 9-9:15 depending on how organized the ski patrollers/rangers are. With a novice boarder it takes an ungodly amount of time to get from one side of the mountain to the other. An hour is a bit extreme but I wouldn't be surprised if it took over a half hour for some.

Eh, usually they shut it down between 9-9:15 depending on how organized the ski patrollers/rangers are. With a novice boarder it takes an ungodly amount of time to get from one side of the mountain to the other. An hour is a bit extreme but I wouldn't be surprised if it took over a half hour for some.

How long can it take to go ceasars, marc anthony, honeymoon lane? It's one run with two potential places you may have strap out and skate for 30 yards if you're really crap / unlucky. It's not as if you would need another lift ride to get back over.

There is no NEED to shut down this lift before 9.30 - 9.40 for a 10pm closing.

I think it was a personal attack, just to get me back for saying their snow was "clumpy" last week... :tinfoil::tinfoil:

We close it at that time every night, since the beginning of the Stevenson. Not only does it take a long time for some to make it down, ski patrol, "sweeps" (checks very closely) every trail (and in the woods) to make sure there are no leftovers for the groomers. That takes just under 45 minutes. Then we have to do it again on the rest of the mountain. Sometimes we have to make a few trips, depending on how many volunteer patrollers show up that night. An accident at that time really slows things down. Sorry.

We close it at that time every night, since the beginning of the Stevenson. Not only does it take a long time for some to make it down, ski patrol, "sweeps" (checks very closely) every trail (and in the woods) to make sure there are no leftovers for the groomers. That takes just under 45 minutes. Then we have to do it again on the rest of the mountain. Sometimes we have to make a few trips, depending on how many volunteer patrollers show up that night. An accident at that time really slows things down. Sorry.

Oh well, conditions were so nice last night I could have stayed till midnight, it's just really dissapointing when there's no crowds, great conditions and then they shut it all down. :crymore:

BTW Ski911, just looking at your signature, if you are only faster due to physics you must have way more mass than the rest of us.

Do the PASR Nastar challenge rules apply in this situation? Admin- can I have an official posting as to what would constitute a challenge to ski911? Are patrollers allowed to jump into the course? I mean, it should be kept as safe as the rest of the mountain... hehehehe :devil:

BTW Ski911, just looking at your signature, if you are only faster due to physics you must have way more mass than the rest of us.

Well, if you want to get nerdy about it...

Mass/Surface Area is the ratio you really want to look at. Both the surface area of the skis, as well as surface area and shape for wind resistance.

Skill obviously is a factor, but then it gets far beyond "simple physics." Even finding the fluid dynamics of wind resistance is pretty far beyond "simple"

Do the PASR Nastar challenge rules apply in this situation? Admin- can I have an official posting as to what would constitute a challenge to ski911? Are patrollers allowed to jump into the course? I mean, it should be kept as safe as the rest of the mountain... hehehehe :devil:

You got it cheif, work out the details. I don't know how many Nastar dates are left in the season but I'm sure there should be one that both of you can make it to.

Edited by Glenn

Trust me ski911 is fast.

I don't doubt for one second that he's fast. And he's cocky enough (In an admirable kind of way) that I'm inclined to think he's really fast. Lets see how fast. A nonpatroller from CB should be able to vouch for this...

Believe me, I know there is a select group of you patrollers that can really rip. After all, ben leaves a bit of an impression if you see him ski bumps and someone points it out. And mtnbiker- I hear you can haul too. Ski911 should make himself known...

I'm not a gate skier, never liked waiting around to ski. I do tend to glide pretty well though.

Well they would have to wait at least a week anyway

:)

Tele-Ben was at Blue earlier..second day in a row I saw him at Blue...it's cool how Camelback ski patrollers ski Blue on their days off..

I dig the tele-Switch steeze..for sure

Me, Tele-Ben, and 2 others are going to SLC/PC for a week. ski911 is going to a diffrent location than us.

I think Tele-Ben goes to Blue to mix it up and its closer to home. He also heads to NY and western PA resorts.

On my days off I go to Hunter or Killington, not usually Blue. Have not gone as much this year because of scheduling and being sick this past week, but well enough to hit slopes out at PC.

Edited by mtnbiker99x

Wow guys, you patrollers are livin' the life. I've heard that all or mostly all resorts extend free or deeply discounted skiing to members of the national ski patrol. Is this true?

Hopefully I'll get to ski with some of you guys before the end of the season.

Fun Idea- CB should hold skiing comps between the Patrollers and the Rangers. It'd be like the police vs. firemen games they do in NY, Boston and other big cities. Anyone care to wager a guess as to the possible outcome?

Me, Tele-Ben, and 2 others are going to SLC/PC for a week. ski911 is going to a diffrent location than us.

Just came back from SLC. While I was there the mountians got 15 inches of snow Monday the 19th, 26 inches Friday the 23rd, and 24 inches when I was leaving Tueday the 27th. I heard it is snowing there today as well. All the lightest stuff you can imagine.

Make sure you make a nice contribution to PC since they just bought Killington and Pico!

If you have transportation check out Powder Mountain, Utah's best kept secret.

(North of Snowbasin and Ogden Canyon)

Have a great time.

Just came back from SLC. While I was there the mountians got 15 inches of snow Monday the 19th, 26 inches Friday the 23rd, and 24 inches when I was leaving Tueday the 27th. I heard it is snowing there today as well. All the lightest stuff you can imagine.

Make sure you make a nice contribution to PC since they just bought Killington and Pico!

If you have transportation check out Powder Mountain, Utah's best kept secret.

(North of Snowbasin and Ogden Canyon)

Have a great time.

Last year we were going to do Powder but ended up going someplace else because the snow was south that day.

I am snowboarding so we will probably hit up Snowbird/Alta with me staying on the snowbird side while they are over there.

We are deff going back to Snowbasin we had a great time there last year.

More than likley PC and the Canyons.

We are there for 8 days so we will hit as many as possible.

Its fairly standard to roll the lift closing times so that people are forced to leave and get back to the base area, I can't think of a mountain I've been to where you can't get back to the base area in one run that doesn't roll the lift closing times.

JF closes the East Mt. at 3:45. Elk closes the Lehigh trail at 3pm.