Waxing

flick

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are waxes that are very spesific. Most of the time I just use a universal warm or a universal cold wax. Much easier, much less planning. But you could get wax for ever cond if you wanted to

My Iron is an iron sent from god....Well atleast its a holey iron...Haha I am so funny :nono

There are waxes that are very spesific.  Most of the time I just use a universal warm or a universal cold wax.  Much easier, much less planning.  But you could get wax for ever cond if you wanted to

Skidude, what type of wax do you use for your universal warm/cold?

I've been using One Ball Jay 4WD Normal snowboard wax. Anyone tried the Cold or Warm One Ball Jay 4WD? Any suggestions for snowboard wax?

I use swix. As far as I know ski wax and snowboard wax are the same. I bet ski999 could tell me if I was wrong, but your bases are made of the same thing and you put wax on the same way.

Anyway I know swix works well for skis and boards(had friends at hood tell me about boards), and I belive ski999 likes the the Toko wax. Its all pretty good if you get name brand.

I use swix.  As far as I know ski wax and snowboard wax are the same.  I bet ski999 could tell me if I was wrong, but your bases are made of the same thing and you put wax on the same way.

Anyway I know swix works well for skis and boards(had friends at hood tell me about boards), and I belive ski999 likes the the Toko wax.  Its all pretty good if you get name brand.

I just picked up a pack of Swix CH6 Hydrowax. Haven't used it yet. How is their Hydrowax compared to their Universal?

Pretty much the same. I don't notice much of a diffrence. I use the CH stuff when I want to be a little more exact....As far as I know there both made with Hyrogen and Carbon (hence CH or Hydrocarbon wax)....And that is insted of the more expesive (LF/HF, which is made up of Fluorine and hydrogen)

Err back to your quetsion.. It is pretty compariable...Just the universal is less temp spesific

Pretty much the same. 

Err back to your quetsion.. It is pretty compariable...Just the universal is less temp spesific

Thanks for the info. I've heard rumors that Fluro wax can be harmful to your base, didn't know if there was any truth to that or if CH wax had similar negative effects.

what are soem other good universal waxes thst aren't too much?

also i found an wax iron on ebay and it is pretty new and nice one of the ones i have seen for like thirty when i was looking fo some the other day. This one is like $15. i want to get it for christmas. It will my first iron and my frist time hot waxing my board. i will probably do it alot

think it is a good deal or should i buy a $5 one with holes from soem store?????

dude?

Edited by boarder1547

Fluoro is added to the Hydrocarbon waxes to improve temperature range and glide. Not necessary unless you race, really. Most good brands cost about $8 for a 60 gram bar of hydrocarbon; $16 for low fluoro; $50 for high fluoro.

For me, the best all around buy is getting the Toko combination pack of red and yellow for $12, or so. Waxes are color coded for the temperature they are suited for: blue for cold; red for medium; yellow for warm. There are others in between, but that's the basic range. So if red is for snow temps between 14 and 25 degrees, and yellow is good for temps between 25 and 32, you're all set.

And fluoro is definitely not bad for bases. In fact, pure fluoro--which the 'Dude will be sprinkling on his bases and rubbing in over top of his wax on warm days--doesn't melt, so it only lays in a microscopic layer on your bases and rubs off after a single run. The PTFE he uses is in the Teflon family of chemicals. His skis will be non-stick and water repellent.

I've never spent a lot for a waxing iron, but I do buy ones made for skis. They are flat and are curved up at the front, rather than a point. Always make sure you haven't nicked the bottom of your iron on an edge, or something. A damaged iron can really screw up bases. And always keep the iron moving and never smoke the wax.

Thanks for the info. I've heard rumors that Fluro wax can be harmful to your base, didn't know if there was any truth to that or if CH wax had similar negative effects.

Fluoro is much worse for your Lungs if it is inhailed...That is probably what you heard. You should always wax in a well ventilated area, but with Fluoro you deffinatly need to.

Fluoro is much worse for your Lungs if it is inhailed...That is probably what you heard.  You should always wax in a well ventilated area, but with Fluoro you deffinatly need to.

yea, cause Flourine in its gaseous form is a VERY posionous gas. Skidude, where do you wax your stuff, in your garage?

what are soem other good universal waxes thst aren't too much?

I've been using One Ball Jay 4WD Normal, $8 for 155g. Just ordered some more Normal and I'm gonna try the Cold and Warm as a last coat (if I'm gonna be riding in either extreme temp).

Bought it here

http://snowboards-for-sale.com/recreational_snowboard_wax/

Manufacturer's Site

http://www.oneballjay.com/index-got-flash.html

Edited by PeterC0523

should you use base cleaner to clean off the base before each waxing? and should you iron the wax on everytime you go or just once a week?

Go back to the top of this thread and read all the comments about base cleaner and waxing methods. There are lots of useful and experienced inputs.

:yes