Waxing

flick

I just got a new board (k2/www) and it needs to be waxed. I've never had to wax a board before cuz I've been having shops repair the base after each season and they do a nice job. I got some iron on wax and I was wondering if anybody has done an iron-on waxing with a snowboard, and if they have, got any tips on how to not screw it up? Thanks all.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea its really easy. first you need any old iron (just dont use ur moms or she'll get pissed, cuz it ruins it), next you'll need something to scrape the wax off with if you dont already have a scraper, something like a triangle for drawing/drafting or something like itt that has an edge.

now for the waxing part. first you wanna heat up your iron just enough to melt the wax, no hotter, or else you'll burn it. then you're gonna hold the iron and wax over your board and press the wax onto the iron so taht it drips onto your board. drip it all around your board (how much wax you use is preference and as you do it more you'll see how much you want). after you dripped the wax onto your board you're going to spread it all out with the iron all over your board just like you're ironing a shirt. after you spread it all out, wait a little bit for it to cool down and dry. after its dry, you'll take your scraper (or whatever else you're using) and scrape off all of the excess wax. and its okay to scrape off every bit of wax thats on top because its the wax that got soaked into the pores of your base that matters. after that buff it out with something (this isnt necessary, but makes your base look nice) and you're ready to ride.

Bro, if its anything like the k2 skis they have a factory wax on them when you first buy them they don't need to be waxed.

Anyway to wax your board or skis you can either melt the wax on with the iron or rub the wax on and then go over it with an iron. After you got the wax melted in let it set for awile then come back with a plastic scraper and scrape off the wax. Then go over it with a cork and rub in the wax.

No clue but last year when I bought a pair of k2's I asked the guy at nestors about waxing them. He told me that they came with a factory wax and they didn't need to be waxed. So I did nothing to them and after a few days of skiing on them they began to turn white on the bottom so then I started waxing them.

Maybe justo can help with this...

Bro, if its anything like the k2 skis they have a factory wax on them when you first buy them they don't need to be waxed.

Yeah my last board definetly didn't need wax when I bought it, but this one is sticky on the bottom. I strapped into it in my living room and I can't get it to slide at all. So I'm gonna wax the mo. Thanks for the tips.

Well, snowboards generally follow the same rules as skis, but I only tune skis, so my expertise ends there. As far as skis go, factory wax is only a light topical coat. It's really important to get your skis (and I'd assume boards) hot waxed even when they are knew. All of the tech sites like SVC, RR, and the Beast people, recommend that you hot wax then scrape new skis 10 to 15 times. Race room skis are hot waxed 40 times.

Sound crazy? Yeah, I agree. When I get new skis, I wax and scrape them four or five times.

A skis base is like a sponge. It can only soak up just so much wax each time you hot wax. You want the wax as deep as you can get it and that comes from repetition.

Yeah I was thinking of posting that too, it can come "waxed" but there will still be PTex hairs and other stuff on the bottom of the ski, that you should really wax (and brush) many times to get it all out. The same goes for after a stone grind. Wax and brush, and wax and brush.

went to sport authority and bought a swix full tune up kit for 21.13 and that was with tax. it comes with 2 peices PTex 1 black 1 clear, a file,1 metal scraper,1 plastic scraper,1 pocket stone adn comes in a black container.its worth the money

thats a starting point, but to do a tune, you need alot more. that kit doesn't even include wax, or a iron. A file alone won't get you nice edges, you need a file guide (the beast works the best)....You need wax, an iron, scrapers, nylon and brass brushes, side edge guide, files, and some more stuff. Ptex is only for base repairs.... :D

How much of a bar of wax should be used per wax, the whole thing, half. Just trying to get an idea on how much wax should go down on the board.

nono! Just drip enough on, so that when you spread it out, it covers your board, just because you melt more onto the base, doesn't mean more will be absorbed, since you scrap most of the wax off anyway. when you get more experienced, you'll use less and less wax each time. :D

Yeah, just drip it on your base going back and forth until it looks like when you put your iron on the base, you'll lay out a smooth coat over everything. I guess one good drip will spread out to cover a quarter size space on your base. When in doubt, more is safer. Imagine having dimes everywhere on your base and put a drip on each dime. Technically, 20g of wax will give you a good coating.

Keep the iron moving at all times and be careful not to stay in one spot too long. Don't ever make the wax smoke, or you'll be burning your base.

And every once in a while, put your hand under your board and touch your topsheet. If its warm, take a break.

I am not sure if that is bad for the ski. A number of racing magizines and websites have things where you can send them your skis and they put wax on them, then put them in an oven for 90 minutes, to the wax gets melted into the base deeply.

Not sure how well it works tho...

Maybe Ski999 can give us some insight in this :confused