Canyons or Snowbird? or where?

Timeless

Need some input from the more travelled amongst you:

Me and 2 friends (both skiers, I'm a boarder) are heading out to Utah at the end of the month.

Having been out there last year, I really have to do Brighton and PC again but cant decide on the other two days.

Both the skiers are very experienced whereas I would describe myself as a high intermediate / low expert but I'm really not looking for super-steeps and moguls.

I'm concerned that the 'bird maybe a little "expert" for me, and I've heard not too good reviews on the canyons.

We'll be there Friday through Monday so weekend crowds are a consideration.

OK, let have those opinions.....

Bird has it all, however, usually the way to do Utah is to follow the weather reports and go with the snow. 9 times out of 10, the Cottonwood Canyons (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton) have the best snow. If your looking to get away from weekend crowds, go to Snow Basin or Powder Mountain. Really you cant go wrong out there.

The Bird is an aggressive mountain. Canyons has more variety of terrain. Both will be crowded on the weekends. Usually that's only a parking problem. Both areas are big enough that you should still see only minimal lift lines.

If you go to Snowbird, take the first entry and park at the new Creekside Lodge. Snowbird sells a chair only ticket and a ticket that includes the tram for about $7 more. Do the tram if the weather is bad or you've never done it before; otherwise the chair only ticket is just fine.

Discount tickets are available in the Salt Lake City area ski shops.

Go here for an example of ticket prices: http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

PS is right about the view from Strawberry Ridge at Snowbasin. It over looks the city of Ogden and Hiil Airforce Base with the Great Salt Lake in the background. I think even more impressive is standing on top of Hidden Peak, next to the Snowbird Tram at the end of the day. You're in sunlight looking down the canyon into the Salt Lake Valley which is all lit up. Because of the altitude difference it's dark down there.

Have a great trip.