Hard to Argue with the Gear, Skidude....

Ski

and that ranking list i am assuming is compiled from last years world cup wins? i'm not all too knowledgeable when it comes to racing, but i do know that bode did not si atomics last year. he skiied rossis. what makes atomics so much faster than any other ski? the only thing that makes one ski straight up faster than another is the coefficient of friction it has with the snow, which is directly related to the structure of the base, the type of snow you are skiing, and the temp that your wax melts at in relation to that of the snow. another thing you have to consider is that everyone on that list is getting skis built for them. the general public does not ski on the same ski that bode miller does. regardless of how good of a skiier anyone on this site is, myself included, i doubt anyone could ski bode's downhill or super g ski the way it is intended to be skiied, because they come straight out of the race room, much stiffer than anything available to the public. just because a company makes great world cup race skis does not mean they inherently make the best consumer ski. and atomic does not use any of that beta construction crap in their race stock skis. they are all straight up sidewall with metal and wood laminates just like everyone elses except for salomon, who, sadly, still uses a foam core in their race skis.

Edited by Justo8484

<and that ranking list i am assuming is compiled from last years world cup wins? i'm not all too knowledgeable when it comes to racing, but i do know that bode did not si atomics last year. he skiied rossis.>

***The list is the current standings from this year's World Cup. They've had three races, so far. And last year's list looked pretty much the same. For years, Atomic has had the most success.

<what makes atomics so much faster than any other ski? the only thing that makes one ski straight up faster than another is the coefficient of friction it has with the snow, which is directly related to the structure of the base, the type of snow you are skiing, and the temp that your wax melts at in relation to that of the snow.>

***How many slalom races are won because of ski wax and base quality? None. GS? Few. So half of all ski races have NOTHING to do with wax and base quality. Technical races are won because of turn quality, far more than anything else. As we've said before, racers get the best sintered base material, which is especially important in DH and SG. That's why speed event racers freak when they crash their best skis. They may have 15 pair, but usually just one fast set. The Austrians have dominated speed events on Atomic because they get the best base material, best wax room guys, and the best racers.

<another thing you have to consider is that everyone on that list is getting skis built for them. the general public does not ski on the same ski that bode miller does. regardless of how good of a skiier anyone on this site is, myself included, i doubt anyone could ski bode's downhill or super g ski the way it is intended to be skiied, because they come straight out of the race room, much stiffer than anything available to the public. just because a company makes great world cup race skis does not mean they inherently make the best consumer ski.>

***You rag on Atomic and say that the race room skis are nothing like 'off the racks', but just where do you think the technology from racing is applied? In off the rack gear. My 9.16's are almost identical to race room; so were my 9.12's. But so what if my GS skis are a little softer flexing than race room? I could have bought race room, but our gates are tighter and courses shorter than World Cup. You match the ski to the course. Atomic GS:11 off the rack skis are great skis because of the technology handed down from race testing and the quality of information racers supply the engineers.