UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!!

Ski

Okay, so after years of CB passes and broken promises and baloney followed by bullshit, I was a little concerned that Sno would have me eating crow for being so jazzed about the promise that they had made snow.

I mean, who the hell makes snow right before closing?

And, it would be just enough to fill in the bad spots around the lifts, right?

Nope.

Sno Mountain made from 6 inches to THREE FEET of snow on almost every freaking trail. The groomers let it set up, then they even dusted the top of Boomer, which is something I've only seen Hunter and Okemo do.

I pulled into the lot a little before 8pm and was a little nervous until I finally saw someone get off the Phoebe---it was that empty. But while I booted up, a bunch of cars came flying into the lot. It was 48 degrees...

The bad spots at the top of Phoebe and down to Boomer were fixed. They blew a lot of snow and then squeezed the connection trail:

I hit Boomer first, which had what Craig likes to call "wet packed powder" down the left side, then fast corn snow everywhere else. I made first tracks down the left side and took three more quick runs down it.

View looking up Boomer at the "wet powder":

View looking down Boomer:

Next, I hit Smoke, which has an amazing amount of snow on the headwall---maybe five feet. Most of the bumps are gone, which is the way I like it.

Smoke's upper headwall:

Then I cruised down to Cannonball, which had a foot of groomed new snow on it. It was super fast and the best trail of the night.

I took the Phoebe up to the Iron Horse, just to check out the upper slopes. Switch is pretty beat, although they made lots of snow on the headwall above the start house. There were about 30 kids in the park and it looked like they'd made quite a bit of snow. The kids were also hitting the pipe.

I did one quick run down Whistler, which has lots of new snow, then went over to Upper Runaway. UR was nuts, with more than a foot of new snow. Why would they have bothered? Crazy. Upper Runaway is a green circle type slope that's flat and super wide. I headed down UR to Lower Runaway and the coverage was terrific. There were corduroy marks down the left side and it was fast down the right side.

I ran into two other members of the Racewax.com Ski Team, as well as one of our rivals, and did another lap down Boomer, before hitting WL. WL has medium bumps down the first 2/3's, then a ton of snow at the base.

The three guys I was skiing with, who all work at Sno, also could not believe that management had pulled out all the stops and made so much snow.

I was absolutely blown away by the conditions...it was like skiing a mid-winter night that just happened to turn really warm following a snowstorm.

One of the best nights of the season and the weekend will be awesome :rock

Edited by ski

haha, i thought tonight was pretty cool too! i was really surprised how well the lips held up on the jumps... although you had to take a run at the first one from 3x the amount your jumping...

hey nick, had you noticed me? i hope you dident see my bad fall... man, its going to hur for like... 2 weeks lol.

Oh

You pond skimming tomorrow?lol or atleast skiing?

I'm gonna watch you guys pond skim...

Actually, Ty has a Brownie thing until 2pm that her mom is taking her to, so I'm skiing from noon until then with Kat, then going to tool around the upper slopes with Ty. It's going to be a great day.

Doug: the new owner isn't really looking at the bottom line. Sure, he and his buds want to make money, but their priority is to create the best ski area in the Poconos (eh, and Endless Mountains)...as I said, a couple of dads from the CAT race team bought a mountain and want to do the right thing. And those guys fucking rock!

Oh, and even though they'll probably close Sunday, the NF could remain open for weeks...

I'm gonna watch you guys pond skim...

Actually, Ty has a Brownie thing until 2pm that her mom is taking her to, so I'm skiing from noon until then with Kat, then going to tool around the upper slopes with Ty. It's going to be a great day.

Doug: the new owner isn't really looking at the bottom line. Sure, he and his buds want to make money, but their priority is to create the best ski area in the Poconos (eh, and Endless Mountains)...as I said, a couple of dads from the CAT race team bought a mountain and want to do the right thing. And those guys fucking rock!

Oh, and even though they'll probably close Sunday, the NF could remain open for weeks...

Ehh im not going to be pond skimming.Im not all about getting wet and stuff.

Wanna take some runs in the park with me :wiggle

Sounds good Ski..wow a ski area that doesn't care about makjing profits...nice..please high speed quad..then I'll be there alot..In 2007 all lifts should be high speed..

They'll make enough off the Moose Beach to be able to indulge the skiers/boarders...rumor has it that the high speed is ordered, but there will never be that many people that they need more than one.

Ehh im not going to be pond skimming.Im not all about getting wet and stuff.

Wanna take some runs in the park with me :wiggle

Ha, Nick, doing jumps instead of pre-jumping them to NOT catch air? What's up with that? Get Sean and we'll do a Chinese Downhill on FT!

Ha, Nick, doing jumps instead of pre-jumping them to NOT catch air? What's up with that? Get Sean and we'll do a Chinese Downhill on FT!
Haha umm idn?Sean probably won't come up cause he probably has work.But we can still do the Chinese Downhill.