Okemo - great customer service

Timeless

So recently we booked slopeside trip to Okemo, not cheap but here's how it worked out for us:

We stayed 3 nights in the Winterplace condo's at Okemo, the condo was great and the access to the lifts was a 20 yard walk to the snow which was at the top of the "bunny hill" lifts, a short ride down the hill got you to ther main quads. The provision of (free) ski lockers half way between condo and snow made this even better because you could drop-off / pick up the gear on the way to and from the condo.

Check in / out was smooth and pain-free, the whole set-up is very well run.

One of the best "features" was the "try before you buy" lift ticket arrangement, the first hour at Okemo requires no ticket, you dont have to go anywhere near the base for the first hour, and then if you decide the conditions are OK (or better) there are on-hill locations where you can quickly stop and buy a ticket. You can also pre-buy your tickets the night before should you wish. The lifts were also open 15-20 minutes before the official time, so getting first tracks was a breeze.

My son (6) went into ski school on two of the three days, got a group of 2 on the first day and 1 on the second, both days his instructors were great, especially the second day when he effectively had private instruction for the whole morning. Ski school was reasonably priced ($65) and his lift tickets were free.

They also had a promotion which allowed my Daughter (11) to ride for free when I paid for an adult ticket, so all three of us paid $66 for the day.

On top of this, all three of us got discount tickets each day for a return visit.

On the last night of our stay, the condo above us burst a pipe (it was very cold, like -21F) and we started to get water leak through the ceiling ito one of the bedrooms, so we call the desk and they rushed people up to turn the water off, and move us to a new condo for the night, we were fully moved and settled in the new condo within an hour and I felt they had handled the situation very well.

So the day we left (very happy), they called and told us that they would like to apologize again for the inconvenience and that they would like to offer us a complimentary stay between then and the end of the season "to make it up to us". We were amazed at this but not wanting to turn down their generosity we accepted an Easter weekend stay in what turned out to be a very nice 3 bedroom unti in the same block of condos.

So we went back this weekend, got even cheaper tickets thanks to the discount vouchers, had free slopeside accomodation, they even laid on fresh snow and sunny weather for us....

Other points about Okemo:

- They may not have the steepest terrain but there is some if you search it out, especially over on each side of the mountain.

- The grooming is the best I've experience anywhere.

- The parks are immaculately maintained, well spaced out and seem very well designed for flow and challenge, the first big jump on Noreaster is amazing.

- There are plenty of places to eat and drink at not outrageous prices, and a waffle hut.

Overall, you may be able to tell that I'm very impressed as a family resort.

Okemo markets themselves as a family mountain, and they certainly do deliver. The terrain there isn't steep, but there are so many great trails to arc turn after turn on, and the natural rollers all over the place make it fun. They have a few good tree runs on the South Peak. Over in Jackson Gore there is another good one off to the skiers left of the lift. Pretty nice there, and I don't mind going there on weekends as the lift lines are never as big as Killington.

You know... I noticed that the staff at Killington was really friendly and accomodating too. I guess if your mountain has a lot of competition you have to strive to provide good service to keep business.

I think you would enjoy Okemo even more then Killington. You'd really love their long cruising trails. My favorite is upper and lower world cup, which is nice and long, and so much fun.

Too bad the mountains flat....Slowkemo

compared to what? Killington / Stowe (Agreed) , to PA resorts (no way), to stratton/Mt snow (about the same)

Have you been there since they added the Jackson Gore side?

The lack of real steep stuff doesn't make it slow. The top to bottom runs like World Cup and Chief are great for some speed.

there isn't really anything at Okemo to Challenge an advanced/expert skier. ......

For a family of mixed abilities..Okemo is pretty much tops in VT..plus it has a few high speed quads..

wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Too bad the mountains flat....Slowkemo

Its arguable that I haven't gone to the right places (Tuckermans, Jay, parts of Mt. Mansfield, etc...), but I've found that I really haven't been too challenged by just about anything I've skied on the East coast. That being said, Okemo is one of my favorite eastern mountains because many of their trails have fun fall lines that make skiing fast a big thrill. That place is good fun.

Its arguable that I haven't gone to the right places (Tuckermans, Jay, parts of Mt. Mansfield, etc...), but I've found that I really haven't been too challenged by just about anything I've skied on the East coast. That being said, Okemo is one of my favorite eastern mountains because many of their trails have fun fall lines that make skiing fast a big thrill. That place is good fun.

I here nominate the haven't been to the right places. Tuckerman is mad mad steep and icy, the hairest skiing I can remember was at Tucks. Stowe has stuff everywhere that would give you a run for your money, it isn't Chugach but stump, the steps and the real kodak moment Waterfall would put your nuts in your stomach. 20 to 25 foot cliff with a landing that at best runs uphill all right under the gondi. Mansfield is covered with challening terrain and so is Big Jay and Little Jay. If you want to get real crazy and get into the BC stuff, Gotham in NY is straight insanity look in up online its in ADK's near Camp Peggy O'Brien. Tugs hill too. The point is there is so much stuff on the EC but alot of it isn't on the trail map and even more isn't at the resort. The east can challenge you just as much as the west but not alot of people are doing it. Check out Meatheads films. They cat ski in Newfoundland.

Oh and your sig is slightly distracting

I here nominate the haven't been to the right places. Tuckerman is mad mad steep and icy, the hairest skiing I can remember was at Tucks. Stowe has stuff everywhere that would give you a run for your money, it isn't Chugach but stump, the steps and the real kodak moment Waterfall would put your nuts in your stomach. 20 to 25 foot cliff with a landing that at best runs uphill all right under the gondi. Mansfield is covered with challening terrain and so is Big Jay and Little Jay. If you want to get real crazy and get into the BC stuff, Gotham in NY is straight insanity look in up online its in ADK's near Camp Peggy O'Brien. Tugs hill too. The point is there is so much stuff on the EC but alot of it isn't on the trail map and even more isn't at the resort. The east can challenge you just as much as the west but not alot of people are doing it. Check out Meatheads films. They cat ski in Newfoundland.

Oh and your sig is slightly distracting

Yaaaaa. I'd say the hairiest skiing I ever had was Chamonix, France. Icy, pelting snow, zero visibility, and following the guy I was staying with down some pretty badass chutes.

I was at Stowe when I was a kid and was there with my little brother so didn't really get to see any of the stuff I've heard about from my buddies in Vermont. I have the opportunity to go to Tuck's at the end of this month, which is a yearly thing that some friends of mine do, but with exams and all my other stuff I can never make it. I've also never been able to make it up to Jay, but my one friend from school who is from Burlington is always buggin' me to come up and ski a real EC mountain.

Ya I've seen Meathead's stuff. Definitely good fun flicks. However, I'm just kinda waitin' to get back out west where I don't have to drive 12 hours to ski decent stuff. Biggest turnoff of the East Coast is the amount of driving you have to do to get to anything decent. With gas on its way to $4 a gallon thats a bit of a hindrance.

Show me where the good stuff is Lando, and we'll see if you can keep up! :P

Oh, and sweet pics!!!

I think you would enjoy Okemo even more then Killington. You'd really love their long cruising trails. My favorite is upper and lower world cup, which is nice and long, and so much fun.

Really? Thanks man. Wait... will I love it like I was supposed to love Outer Limits or are you being for real?

for a last minute trip VT/northern NY/New England can't be beat..

Nahhh I could prolly beat all three of those in terms of last minute trips I've done.

And the times I've gone to Vermont I've spent close to what I've spent when I've flown out to Utah or Canada. Yes you can do it on the uber cheap but what fun is that?

Okemo has long been one of my guilty pleasures of a mountain, not all that hard, but well maintained and fun. Outrage, Supernova and Forest Bump are 3 very good glades.

With ASC changing and no more pass, I will be skiing Okemo that much more. Plus it is my wifes and In laws favorite place to ski too.

Yaaaaa. I'd say the hairiest skiing I ever had was Chamonix, France. Icy, pelting snow, zero visibility, and following the guy I was staying with down some pretty badass chutes.

I was at Stowe when I was a kid and was there with my little brother so didn't really get to see any of the stuff I've heard about from my buddies in Vermont. I have the opportunity to go to Tuck's at the end of this month, which is a yearly thing that some friends of mine do, but with exams and all my other stuff I can never make it. I've also never been able to make it up to Jay, but my one friend from school who is from Burlington is always buggin' me to come up and ski a real EC mountain.

Ya I've seen Meathead's stuff. Definitely good fun flicks. However, I'm just kinda waitin' to get back out west where I don't have to drive 12 hours to ski decent stuff. Biggest turnoff of the East Coast is the amount of driving you have to do to get to anything decent. With gas on its way to $4 a gallon thats a bit of a hindrance.

Show me where the good stuff is Lando, and we'll see if you can keep up! :P

Oh, and sweet pics!!!

Yeah the driving is a pain in the ass, sometimes it seems like my whole life is spent in the car. The west is definitely the place to be but if you got to be here there is still stuff to do.

I can show you were the good stuff is but I'm calling for a ski off! hahah Highway Starr reference maybe some of you will know who that is.

I think what we really all should do is just get it over with and move to Alaska.

we have a house up in the adk's.... fish mountain, the mountain behind our house, is really, really, really good bc skiing. its accessable by one of the snowmobile trails, and the run goes down about 3000 vert down to a snowmobile hotspot called the sandpits....