Okemo Trip 2008

sexkitten

What do you all suggest? We want to go in February, midweek, and don't really need a condo. Thanks in advance for your help.

The first time we stayed there we were at the Clarion Hotel on the outskirts of Ludlow (officially at "cavendish point") which was pretty good. The restaurant was OK, the rooms were on the good side of the Choice Hotels standard and the rooms at the front have a great view of the mountain first thing in the morning. It a few miles to the slope (3-4 I would guess, maybe less), about 5 minutes in the car. They are on the bus service but we never tried this. If I was going to do a hotel, this would be my choice again, there are plenty of others but some look much worse in reality than on line. The only downside with this one really is that it's too far to walk to the town centre, but as there is little/nothing going on in Ludlow anyway, this didn't really matter to us.

Our second and third trips we went for slopeside condo's and I really can recommend this if your budget can stand it. We were in the winterplace condos and they really are slopeside, Ranging from "ski-in" to "walk across the parking lot" and then ski down to the lifts. We did three different condo's there this year and they were all really nice, and the service at Okemo is fantastic. One other nice thing with staying there is that you do not need to buy a ticket for the first hour and you can buy them at the on-hill lodges, so when you get up you just walk out and go skiing (they run the lifts at least 10-15 minutes before official time, then choose to stop after an hour or so for a drink and pick up your ticket.

If I wasn't taking the kids, I would look at a room at Jackson Gore, but only mid-season when you can be sure the connecting trails are open, or the solitude condo complex looks really nice.

Hope this helps.

just a heads up for okemo, the mountains pretty decent but the crowd and atmosphere is ultra family = kids EVERYWHERE! I went up with a few buddies for a weekend a couple of years ago and we were literally the only non family unit and only ones at the bar in most lodges and restaurants to the point of being kinda weird!

Thanks Timeless. Budget isn't really an issue so maybe we'll look at condos. It just seems a shame to have a whole house when all we need is a bed and bathroom but if that's the only choice so be it. Since we don't want to have to drive to the mountain I am guessing that condos are going to be our only option anyway. BTW, do you think that Okemo is the Sesame Place of the Vermont ski areas? Friends of our keep calling it that and we kinda hate kids so...

Thanks Timeless. Budget isn't really an issue so maybe we'll look at condos. It just seems a shame to have a whole house when all we need is a bed and bathroom but if that's the only choice so be it. Since we don't want to have to drive to the mountain I am guessing that condos are going to be our only option anyway. BTW, do you think that Okemo is the Sesame Place of the Vermont ski areas? Friends of our keep calling it that and we kinda hate kids so...

It certainly wouldn't be my place of choice if nightlife is a criteria, and if you are going at a weekend there are going to be lots of families, but to me it has never seemed any worse for this than Killington. I would imagine that Jackson Gore Hotel might be your best option, if you go for a slopeside condo there are going to be kids around (not that you cant avoid, I wouldn't want to give the impression the place is overrun with hordes of them). If you really hate them then I would certainly avoid the condo's at the base area as that's where most of them would tend to be.

This is how crowded with kids it was on Easter weekend last season (this one is one of mine....)

Edited by Timeless

Yeah but they're going midweek....and I assume not during Presidents week which = no crowds..

When I go to Okemo..I stay at a crackhead motel in Bellows falls for $50 a night..The first time I went there was with my Dad in 1995 and we stayed at the Travel-lodge in town..

BTW..Sexkitten..Okemo has way better terrain for an intermediate skier like yourself than Killington. You'll be able to ski some of the blacks since they groom several of the black diamonds and they're wide as all fizzle. Don't miss Bunny Buster...a mad steezy top to bottom Blue square with lots of whoop dee doos...

Doug, less SFR, Bunny Buster is at Killy.

He is right about the black d's though, Chief and World Cup are great blue/black type runs and the grooming is almost always awesome.

It certainly wouldn't be my place of choice if nightlife is a criteria, and if you are going at a weekend there are going to be lots of families, but to me it has never seemed any worse for this than Killington. I would imagine that Jackson Gore Hotel might be your best option, if you go for a slopeside condo there are going to be kids around (not that you cant avoid, I wouldn't want to give the impression the place is overrun with hordes of them). If you really hate them then I would certainly avoid the condo's at the base area as that's where most of them would tend to be.

This is how crowded with kids it was on Easter weekend last season (this one is one of mine....)

cute pic...she looks more comfortable on a board than I do.

cute pic...she looks more comfortable on a board than I do.

yeah, last season was her 3rd full season (at the grand age of 10) and she really found her natural speed and a much smoother riding style.

I suspect this season may be the last year when it's still OK to ride with Dad <_<

Thanks guys... and girlz! I am getting excited for SNOW!!! I think the JGH is going to be for us. We don't really care about nightlife since we usually ski hard and konk out around 9. Glad to hear that I won't have to deal with Romper Room all week. I don't hate kids but I don't necessarily want to deal with them either. It seems that most of them nowadays are unruly and practically begging me to smack them. Hmmmmm. To get sued or not to get sued.

Yeah but they're going midweek....and I assume not during Presidents week which = no crowds..

When I go to Okemo..I stay at a crackhead motel in Bellows falls for $50 a night..The first time I went there was with my Dad in 1995 and we stayed at the Travel-lodge in town..

BTW..Sexkitten..Okemo has way better terrain for an intermediate skier like yourself than Killington. You'll be able to ski some of the blacks since they groom several of the black diamonds and they're wide as all fizzle. Don't miss Bunny Buster...a mad steezy top to bottom Blue square with lots of whoop dee doos...

Yay for intermediate terrain. Killington was great but some of the stuff was a little tough for me. OK... not tough but scary. Ok not scary... F-ing scary. Yes, I fell a lot. Since my last visit to the orthopedist wasn't a good one I'm going to have to strength like crazy this fall and be very careful not to overwork the hips during the season. Oh well.

I suspect this season may be the last year when it's still OK to ride with Dad <_<

Oh Dad... she'll always have time for a run or two with you!

Edited by sexkitten

The new owners of Killington are planning for a mid November opening..One of the representatives was talking about it on the Killingtonzone forum...It's rough...VT confusion...There's Paradise at Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, and even Blue mountain...I really should be skiing in South America now.. :banghead

Seems like they are having a good snow year thus far anyway.