What age/weight range are junior skis designed for

phillycore

I'm just curious what the age / weight range for junior skis are..

I'm looking to pick up a cheap pair of skis for my 12 year old who goes skiing maybe 2-3 times a year.

He has boots and has used skiblades for the past 2 years.

He is still a beginner and I'm not looking to drop a lot of coin for something that simply isn't going to get used that often.

He's 5'2 and 100lbs soaking wet. Should I be looking at junior skis for him, or what??

he could probably get away with one of the biggest sizes of kids skis you could find. we do a kids program at nestors where you can buy your kid some gear, and then if its too small for them at the beginning of the next season, you can trade it back in for half of what you paid.

I'm just curious what the age / weight range for junior skis are..

I'm looking to pick up a cheap pair of skis for my 12 year old who goes skiing maybe 2-3 times a year.

He has boots and has used skiblades for the past 2 years.

He is still a beginner and I'm not looking to drop a lot of coin for something that simply isn't going to get used that often.

He's 5'2 and 100lbs soaking wet. Should I be looking at junior skis for him, or what??

Yes. Definitely. A set of junior skis in 150 (140 would be okay). Junior bindings in a 3-10 range would be ideal. You could hook him up on eBay for less than $125, then sell it for the same at the end of the season.

Here's a decent set of Salomons with bindings for $84 delivered with a Buy It Now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/150-cm-Salomon-Verse-5...VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm not so sure any local ski shops are selling used junior skis/bindings for that price...there are only a dozen or so sets right now but in another couple of weeks there will be tons more to choose from.

Here's a decent set of Salomons with bindings for $84 delivered with a Buy It Now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/150-cm-Salomon-Verse-5...VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm not so sure any local ski shops are selling used junior skis/bindings for that price...there are only a dozen or so sets right now but in another couple of weeks there will be tons more to choose from.

hah, those are the rentals they had at Blue a few years ago

thanks guys!

I just want to get him off the blades and onto some real skis this year..

Although he's totally scared of the idea of using poles and long skis for some reason...

I'm hoping with some confidence boosting he'll get the hang of them quick and be off on his own .

He has made it down some of the black trails at camelback and jf before...and I stress made it down, not skied...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Jr Skis are designed for kids under 110 lbs.

If you're looking to get a couple years out of it go with a soft adult ski. They'll hold up a lot better if he's going in the park or hard on his equipment.

Thanks for getting him off ski blades and bettering his life as a whole. He'll thank you in the end!