Topsheet

drumsrock24

I am making a box and have finished framing it. I picked up some lexan and steel piping. How should I mount the coping and how much lower is the topsheet from the coping? Thanks.

Others might not agree, but you don't need coping. I made 4 boxes last year, all without coping. They worked fine.

• 3 weeks later...
very very nice. did you use the lexan? if so how much did it cost?
Thank you. I did use the lexan. I purchased 3/8" instead of 1/4" like i was recommended because i didn't see countersinking screws in 1/4" without cracking it. I bought it off of eBay for $40 and $10 shipping. Not a bad deal. You have to wait and look around for the size you need cause there isnt a lot on there.
how long did it take?
It took about 2 months because i needed to find where to get the lexan. But actually man hours, if I had all of the materials I could have done it in a weekend or so. I drew it up before hand in google sketchup (which I can send or post if anyone wants it) so I knew what I was gonna do which helped. I wasnt in a big hurry though. Its done now so hopefully we get a little snow tomorrow so I can use it (or carpet). Edited by drumsrock24

if you dont mind i would really like to see the google sketch. that looks really fun. you might want to paint it with some sort of protective stuff so the wood doesnt rot out from being set in snow and rain and whatnot

Sure no problem. I am going to put plywood around it and paint that. I didn't so you could see the framework.

Sure no problem. I am going to put plywood around it and paint that. I didn't so you could see the framework.

If you have access to a paint sprayer i'd tape ff the lezan and coat all the frame work real good. Then go ahead and put on the plywood and give it all another coat. That way water doesn't soak up into the interior of it. It's a nice box and looks to be a fairly decent size. I'd do everything i could to protect that bad boy.

If you have access to a paint sprayer i'd tape ff the lezan and coat all the frame work real good. Then go ahead and put on the plywood and give it all another coat. That way water doesn't soak up into the interior of it. It's a nice box and looks to be a fairly decent size. I'd do everything i could to protect that bad boy.

I don't have acess to a sprayer though. I was just going to put the plywood over it and paint that. Do you think that will protect it enough cause painting all the framework would take forever without a sprayer.

Well the plywood will work fine if you are putting a piece across the bottom too, but that may be a bad idea cause when u set it in snow it may want to slide. I'd say at least do something fir all that framework since when you put it in snow it is going to dig into the snow and essentially become a giant wick for any melting snow. Unless it is pressure treated, but the pics look like it is just standard lumber.

Well the plywood will work fine if you are putting a piece across the bottom too, but that may be a bad idea cause when u set it in snow it may want to slide. I'd say at least do something fir all that framework since when you put it in snow it is going to dig into the snow and essentially become a giant wick for any melting snow. Unless it is pressure treated, but the pics look like it is just standard lumber.

ya its just standard lumber. I'll just have to move it once I'm done with it.

The coping just adds to the strength of the box. Without it, the lexan will eventually wear on the sides from your edges grinding on it. Having the coping on the edges combats this and makes your box stronger.

Also, lexan is a bit of a soft material compared to the steel edges on your skis or board. It is possible to get hung up without coping.

Cover the sides of the box with some plywood and paint the exterior surfaces with some type of water sealing paint (any paint will work if you can't afford it). Keeping that exposed to water will rot it out and severely weaken it pretty quick, might as well protect your investment.