The Opening Thread

Rowsdower

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bet that this is actually going to be a mad good season. 60 degrees my ass, your retarted.

Me? Judging from your grammar I'd say you're retarded...

Anyway, Java decided to not work on my comp so I can't freaking see any of the guns. I wanted to see what trails they have them on, oh well. The accuweather forecast isn't particularly amazing, but neither is it too bad. The thing that will determine if Bear blows snow or not will be their ability and their willingness to blow in marginal conditions. I know last year they devised a plan to be able to open with x hours of marginal snowmaking, does anyone know what that number is? I can see them pulling off a Dec 1 opening provided there isnt a whole lot of melting, they get to use all the available time, the air stays relatively dry, and they actually want to open. If not then they can still get something down, wait for whatever rain/snow event may materlialize early the first week of December then shoot for an opening the weekend of the 8th/9th.

Then it all depends how many hours they get each night. We'll see although I heard something about a week after Thanksgiving... or maybe the week after Thanksgiving... I don't remember, either way its just a rumor at this point.

Right now I'd say they'll definitely be open (barring any freak warm spells) by Dec 15th. I'd say they'd be open by Dec 9th.

im pretty sure bear didnt even move out the portable guns yet, so thats a big sign that says they dont give a shit when they open. see here is my point of view...bear is owned by a big company making money in lots of other ways than just the skiing and snowboarding. which is why i think bear doesnt push to get open and they take their time. boulder on the other hand is still owned by a big company but is only just skiing and snowboarding, so thats how they make their money, not to mention they are also in the pocenos. bear has never been the ones to push the envelope with opening, we go through this every year. i predict they will open around dec 8. i honostly think that if we had a week of cold weather in the middle of nov bear still wouldnt make snow until dec.

I think they can push for a Dec 8th openind date if the weather holds. It seems very likely to me. Also, I don't see any movable guns anywhere on the mountain but theres only like six at the bottom of the triple, weren't there more there before? Anyway does anyone know if they are being placed yet?

I reaffirm the 8th-9th. I could bet money on this now.

I'm feelin it, and Bear's blowing the mice out tonight will chill the ground and everything. The ground may unfortunately be wet going from the 2nd to the 3rd of December which may hamper snowmaking at the start, but if the temps stay where they're predicted to be (and where they've been holding for several days now already) it shouldnt make any difference after the first night.