'Dude does NY

Ski

Haven't heard and USSA is slow to post during the holiday week. It's a shame about yesterday's weather, since it's almost impossible to improve points in bad weather. There was rain during the NASTAR pacesetter trials at Hunter and I'm going to have to actually beat our pacesetter to get gold (not that I care, but Ty collects them).

'Dude was at Brantling today for a slalom, so he'll be back about the time Santa passes by his house.

Results are in from Swain...

The 'Dude started with bib #117 out of 124 racers, which is waaaay the hell back. Finished in 39th place, with 194.12 points.

BTW, Atomic, that's the equivalent of 9th place at the Blue race we watched...

Edited by ski999

Results are in from Swain...

The 'Dude started with bib #117 out of 124 racers, which is waaaay the hell back. Finished in 39th place, with 194.12 points.

BTW, Atomic, that's the equivalent of 9th place at the Blue race we watched...

dam, that kid is getting good.

speaking of getting good, i'm ready to take YOU on at Blue. :D

He may have had bib 117, but the first male bib was 60, so he really started as man #58.  Still a great result, tho.

Huh? He had the ruts of 116 racers minus any DNSers. Girls first.

I feel a little better after skiing with him a few early season days knowing that he's faster and that I haven't necessarily gotten slower.

Huh? He had the ruts of 116 racers minus any DNSers. Girls first.

I feel a little better after skiing with him a few early season days knowing that he's faster and that I haven't necessarily gotten slower.

Assuming he had all those ruts and they didn't have their own course, the rut part would be true. But you can't say he started 116 and finished 39, you're comparing apples to oranges. He moved up 19 places.

Assuming he had all those ruts and they didn't have their own course, the rut part would be true.  But you can't say he started 116 and finished 39, you're comparing apples to oranges.  He moved up 19 places.

Also, girls don't ALWAYS ski first. At least not out here. It depends on the course and conditions.

Results are in from Brantling, where he also moved up. Started 62, finished 47th.

Normally when you finish better than your bib number, you're moving up. This doesn't apply to the top starters, who start in random, not points, order.

Assuming he had all those ruts and they didn't have their own course, the rut part would be true.  But you can't say he started 116 and finished 39, you're comparing apples to oranges.  He moved up 19 places.

Jeez, Sib, what's up with that? Firstly, I didn't say he finished 39th out of 116 or 216 or 316. I meant his ruts must have been a bitch since he started way the hell back. If you want to assume I meant something else, then go right ahead. So with 35 degree temps for run one and 45 degrees for run two (and there was heavy rain in the area), how well do you figure a course would hold up?

And have you been to a USSA race in the East where girls and guys race on separate courses? I haven't even heard of a USSA race where they separate them.

And just why the heck can't I give props to 'Dude for scoring a sub-200 race? I think it's awesome. I always have and always will root for ALL current and former CAT racers.

I have no trouble giving the dude credit, I am just arguing with the way you presented his achievement, it's misleading:

You didn't talk about course conditions, you talked about positions. The dude did a great job, no question, but not a leap from 117 to 39.

I can't remember the specific races where I have seen two separate courses right alongside each other, one for men, one for women, but there have been quite a few of them. Also, when the siblet was at Mammoth, the girls went second for both slaloms. The NorAms here last year the men went first at least one of the days as well. I certainly wasn't at either Brantling or Swain, but I wouldn't assume anything. Interestingly, both races give the start times of the races of both the men and the women as the same. I am going to assume that is sloppy bookkeeping on their part, otherwise it would look as if that could only happen on two separate courses.

Edited by sibhusky

Race start time is when when the race starts. If it's a J1/2/3 race at Big Boulder, then 9am (or whatever) goes on all sheets. Race codes for men and women are separate, but a race begins when the first forerunner goes off.

And I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that your finish place is pretty meaningless. Does a college coach care whether you finished 20th in a race? That tells him nothing. Finishing 100th in a race can be better than winning a race. It's all about the points which are basically determined by the quality of the competitors.

The only time when finish place matters for CAT racers is during PA Cups---and then, it's only for the few at the very top who are earning births to post season races up north.

Skidude is still in the Poconos, but the trip was successful as Sibhusky and Ski999 outlined. Swain was rainy and miserable, but fortunately the downpours came before and after the runs, not during the race. Weather cooperated at Brantling.

Women went first at both. He's looking good...

Skidude and I thought we were the only ones deranged enough to travel for him to chase points on Christmas eve. 120 racers on Christmas eve day.

The 'Dude is probably eating some lunchtime meatloaf between race runs at Swain right now. It's currently 48 degrees, with moderate rain and 30 mph winds at Swain. Kinda curious how that turns out...

Ohh that was a fun race :banghead

Also, girls don't ALWAYS ski first.  At least not out here.  It depends on the course and conditions.

All the races I have been too they have run first

Jeez, Sib, what's up with that? Firstly, I didn't say he finished 39th out of 116 or 216 or 316. I meant his ruts must have been a bitch since he started way the hell back. If you want to assume I meant something else, then go right ahead. So with 35 degree temps for run one and 45 degrees for run two (and there was heavy rain in the area), how well do you figure a course would hold up?

And have you been to a USSA race in the East where girls and guys race on separate courses? I haven't even heard of a USSA race where they separate them.

And just why the heck can't I give props to 'Dude for scoring a sub-200 race? I think it's awesome. I always have and always will root for ALL current and former CAT racers.

At Killington earlier this season they did run a guys course and a girls course...But I was still way far back :(

Anyway my points are like 200.05SL and 194ish GS...And I know I can ski MUCH FASTER :rock